HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 12:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Come on, certify, certify, certify....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 3:45 AM

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 3:52 AM
Show me the blueprints

Holy Effing Hell. Please be 1,566ft

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:13 AM
DENNAB

Holy sh*t

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:18 AM

Can someone please explain what does "No-action" and "with action" mean?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:26 AM

I stand thoroughly corrected. Jeez though, knowing about the as of right option almost spoils what we'll be getting. Nothing to cry over, chalk up another 1400' tower for NYC! I hope they push it to 1460' Go taller than Willis!

Last edited by Hudson11; Nov 11, 2018 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:49 AM
BANNED

I hope that the 1,556’ version is built!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 6:15 AM
New Yorker for life

^ They'll probably go for somewhere in between. But I knew it would be more than the 1,200 ft figure.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
Can someone please explain what does "No-action" and "with action" mean?
Basically, the "No-action" option requires no special approvals, and would place the required 10,000 square foot plaza for the site outside, cutting into the floor plate sizes and forcing them to make the structure taller. With special zoning approvals, they could move the plaza to be indoors and reduce it's size to 7,000 square feet, so that the floor plates before the first setback above the indoor plaza ceiling may include the area of the plaza, thus allowing them to build a roughly equivalent amount of floor space with less height (thus saving money, it can be presumed).

1566 feet (or even the 1400 foot option), and with a massing like that, could be skyline-changing (unlike 1 Vanderbilt, it isn't tapered at all near the top, so it will be more prominent, and if it were made to taper more with height, we would likely get something even taller). I especially like architecturally how the shown massing molds around the plaza in the 1566 foot design, though I feel we will most-likely end up with sheltered plaza variation. It appears that they are trying to maximize the floor plate sizes based on the diagram, hence their desires to move the plaza inside, but if the design is made to narrow more in the upper floors, it could end up even taller than 1400 or 1566 feet, not to mention any additional height that could potentially be added by crown features or spires/lanterns.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 6:44 AM
New Yorker for life

A few more glimpses from the EAS. The scoping documents will go deeper into it, but we get the most important numbers (and massing) already. I still expect some shift in the numbers by the time we get fully into ULURP or by the time construction begins.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 6:58 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnian1 View Post
Basically, the "No-action" option requires no special approvals, and would place the required 10,000 square foot plaza for the site outside, cutting into the floor plate sizes and forcing them to make the structure taller. With special zoning approvals, they could move the plaza to be indoors and reduce it's size to 7,000 square feet, so that the floor plates before the first setback above the indoor plaza ceiling may include the area of the plaza, thus allowing them to build a roughly equivalent amount of floor space with less height (thus saving money, it can be presumed).

1566 feet (or even the 1400 foot option), and with a massing like that, could be skyline-changing (unlike 1 Vanderbilt, it isn't tapered at all near the top, so it will be more prominent, and if it were made to taper more with height, we would likely get something even taller). I especially like architecturally how the shown massing molds around the plaza in the 1566 foot design, though I feel we will most-likely end up with sheltered plaza variation. It appears that they are trying to maximize the floor plate sizes based on the diagram, hence their desires to move the plaza inside, but if the design is made to narrow more in the upper floors, it could end up even taller than 1400 or 1566 feet, not to mention any additional height that could potentially be added by crown features or spires/lanterns.
So then basically "by-right" and then "conditional." Judging by the chart NYguy just posted, it seems like the difference in square footage and even the floor plate size are negligible between the two options. Then again, it's not my money building the thing. lol

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 7:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
So then basically "by-right" and then "conditional." Judging by the chart NYguy just posted, it seems like the difference in square footage and even the floor plate size are negligible between the two options. Then again, it's not my money building the thing. lol
If you look at the massings, the lower floors on the shorter tower are bulkier and more substantial. Some of the newer large commercial buildings in the city now incorporate them.

A look at where the enclosed public plaza and retail (a branch?) will be...

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2018 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 8:56 AM
Meh

Here's to hoping the taller one is built, not just because of the height, but I like the setbacks on the lower part of the tower. It reminds me of the old New York talls.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 9:04 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Here's to hoping the taller one is built, not just because of the height, but I like the setbacks on the lower part of the tower. It reminds me of the old New York talls.
Those designs are likely placeholders

But yea 1566' in midtown would be freaking awesome

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 11:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Those designs are likely placeholders

But yea 1566' in midtown would be freaking awesome
I doubt that the final version will be much different. Foster is declining in his old age, but the height is amazing.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 11:13 AM

The height is very exciting but the design is nothing close to being iconic.

Of course we know they will no doubt get their "with action" approvals so expect the shorter version.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 1:31 PM

Expect the shorter version folks, and be very well happy with it, we've been spoilt!

Placeholder, skyline impact of 1400ft:

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...building/25461

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:00 PM

^ Missing 1 Vandy.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
We could even get a slightly lower version, but I don't think that's likely. What this iteration of the plan shows is a tower with just the currently being approved Grand Central air rights - and space for 12,000 workers. We know that Chase had plans for smaller air rights transfers from other locations, and was planning a tower for 15,000 workerd. We'll see further along in the process if or how that plays out.

The lower setbacks do recall a classic look, but I think the lower portion is basically the same minus the POPS cut out.

I do like the idea of the tower being higher tgan CPT, but likely won't happen.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:42 PM

Keep in mind that the documents state +1400ft, not 1400ft. I'd expect this to be taller than Willis to the roof even if there is a flat top, but don't be surprised if the skyscraper gods smile upon us and we get a grand crown for this tower. Think +1600ft to the pinnacle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction