HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:20 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
A Shard like design would be ideal. The impact would be profound on the skyline.
I like that building but think it would look better without tapering especially since neighboring One Vanderbilt has that effect.

Although to each their own

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:58 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Quite a possibility this building will be a giant, fat, 1000' box.

It's what a company like Chase wants.

A thoughtful, well designed box by Norman Foster no doubt, but its business as usual in NY
I like giant fat boxes not going to lie.

I hope it's higher than 1000 feet though.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:58 PM

I just hope it has a beautiful crown or architectural antenna. Not a square top!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Let's hope Foster brings his best...

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/10/31/180...-union-carbide

Foster + Partners will design Union Carbide building’s replacement
JP Morgan Chase has selected the British firm, helmed by starchitect Norman Foster, for its new HQ at 270 Park Avenue

By Amy Plitt
Oct 31, 2018

Quote:
Foster + Partners, meanwhile, has been keeping busy in New York—and on Park Avenue in particular. The firm is designing the office building at 425 Park Avenue, as well as the residential skyscraper at 100 East 53rd Street, which sits next to the Seagram Building. It’s also behind a new supertall on the rise at Hudson Yards.

If all goes according to plan, construction on the new Chase HQ will begin next year, and be completed within five years. If (most likely when) it’s torn down, it will become the tallest intentionally demolished building in the world.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w-headquarters

JPMorgan Turns to Apple HQ Architect for New Manhattan Tower

By Patrick Clark
October 30, 2018

Quote:
Foster + Partners will serve as the lead architect on the project, said bank spokesman Joseph Evangelisti. The JPMorgan building will be the second on the famous boulevard for the firm, whose founder, Norman Foster, is a Pritzker Prize winner. It also designed 425 Park Ave., under construction a few blocks to the north. The bank didn’t disclose details of the design

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:48 PM
Crane Goddess

I rather like Foster's design for 425 Park Avenue. Let's hope he doesn't fuck this one up.

Poor 270 Park though, I do like her. And 277's going to look rather lonely without its partner across the Avenue :_(
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:01 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Quite a possibility this building will be a giant, fat, 1000' box.
Most articles have said the building would likely be about 70 floors and around 1,200 feet.

That is of course subject to change. You'd think they'd take advantage of this opportunity though and go well past 1000

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Anything is possible, but keep in mind zoning here isn't as it is in Hudson Yards. I expect stricter controls on bulk. I also expect more open terrace areas. This tower also will be built over rails, and will incorporate a large amount of mechanical space (nearly a quarter of the space). But Foster has shown he can get the job done. With this tower, and 425, he will be the new king of Park Avenue.

The 10,000sf POPS can be indoor or outdoor, so there's no telling how big the plaza would be.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:31 AM
BANNED

A 1,400’ version of SF’s Oceanwide tower would be great.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:20 AM
New Yorker for life

What I want to know, is how Foster was chosen. It's been nearly a year since this was announced. I would imagine of number of firms had proposals, and Foster was selected.

Time to look at these again...what he says at 10:50 applies to Central Park Tower.

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:52 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
A 1,400’ version of SF’s Oceanwide tower would be great.
I'm not going to get my hopes *that* high but yes

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:02 PM
Desert Dweller

Wow! This just got way more exciting! As much as I want 270 to be saved, Foster + Partners will no doubt present a worthy replacement.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:48 AM
New Yorker for life

I think there will be inevitable comparisons between 270 and 425 Park. Listening to Foster speak of 425, you get a glimpse into his idea of what a Park Avenue/New York skyscraper should be. I expect good things.

(Looking down to 270)

https://vimeo.com/125910408

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:37 AM
Crane Goddess

425 is going to look drop dead gorgeous! Of all the design proposals for 425, it was my favorite and I'm glad it won.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:04 PM

425 doesn't get enough attention because of all the supertalls going up around town but it is going to be a new landmark.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

I agree about 425. I'm expecting Foster to follow up with another Park Avenue showpiece for 270.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I agree about 425. I'm expecting Foster to follow up with another Park Avenue showpiece for 270.
Hopefully - Or it could just as well be a 50 Hudson Yards (Scale is more akin to the latter). Comcast Technology center is another recent Foster Precedent - and shows he still could throw some diagrid action in the mix.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:03 PM

hoping for the best, expecting a box.

Quote:
In a statement, Foster said he is “delighted” to be working on the new Chase HQ. “The building design is set to respond to its historic location as well as the heritage of JP Morgan, and we look forward to working with them to realise their vision for a new global headquarters for the company,” the statement continues.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:20 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
hoping for the best, expecting a box.

Boxes can be nice though, especially if Foster designs them. A box can still be interesting looking/ have a nice facade etc.

I'm also hoping the height won't be lame, I believe they did buy air rights though?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Boxes can be nice though, especially if Foster designs them. A box can still be interesting looking/ have a nice facade etc.

I'm also hoping the height won't be lame, I believe they did buy air rights though?
sure, but some folks seem to be getting their hopes up for another 1 Vanderbilt. The odds of that seem increasingly dim.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
sure, but some folks seem to be getting their hopes up for another 1 Vanderbilt. The odds of that seem increasingly dim.
This is a much bigger building than 1 Vanderbilt, a more prominent architect, and being built as a trophy HQ, not a REIT seeking to lease space. This is the world's largest/most important bank.

I would be very surprised if it isn't a more prominent tower than 1 Vanderbilt. I doubt they want a background building (which probably isn't even possible given the size; this will be one of the biggest commercial office buildings on the planet).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction