HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:07 PM

^You would think they have renderings if the building is under construction already. Those plans would've been compete a few months back, at least, for permits. Which brings a thought to mind. Never heard a peep out of TNSE about getting permits. While SkyCity made hoopla over acquiring there foundation permit or whatever it was.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:55 PM

it'll be interesting to see what it looks like after staying in lines with the new energy code

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:06 PM

I suspect the "delay" in holding off on announcing the details until Feb 23 will become clear at that time. I sense something is date specific that has to wait until then.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:10 PM

I could be wrong but SkyCity making their permits being issued the big news item is more the exception than the rule. It was meant to hype their project.

My concern with True North Square is the layout of the plaza and interaction with the street. The previous render appeared to be very closed to pedestrian traffic on all sides except Carlton and the corner of Graham and Hargrave.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I suspect the "delay" in holding off on announcing the details until Feb 23 will become clear at that time. I sense something is date specific that has to wait until then.
pegcityfan nailed it, Chipman will need that time to bake all the cakes for the announcement party

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^You would think they have renderings if the building is under construction already. Those plans would've been compete a few months back, at least, for permits. Which brings a thought to mind. Never heard a peep out of TNSE about getting permits. While SkyCity made hoopla over acquiring there foundation permit or whatever it was.
Actions speak louder than press releases.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:46 PM

Yup. That was my point. Fortress is all about hype and public perception.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
it'll be interesting to see what it looks like after staying in lines with the new energy code
I've been sitting on this for a little while, but I guess I'll leak it now. Someone recently emailed me the latest render of the new energy code compliant plans for TNS.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:01 PM
What could go wrong?

That, is a pretty long piece of glazing there. There must be some off-setting efficiencies somewhere else to meet the new code. I like the black though, I just hope it is not stucco. It would be beautiful if it was single pieces of slate.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:03 PM
the first stamp is free

That brick chimney doesn't meet code.

Fail.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:10 PM

It's majestic!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:53 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I've been sitting on this for a little while, but I guess I'll leak it now. Someone recently emailed me the latest render of the new energy code compliant plans for TNS.

Is this from the guys at barcode architecture?

Looks great. Very Mies van der Rohe.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 4:54 PM
BANNED

I'm worried about the street presence. This doesn't look pedestrian friendly. LOL.

Honestly why is everyone so worried about what the street side looks like. It cannot be worse then a barren parking lot. We are lucky at all getting this mega project. And the concourse it creates far outweighs the street anyway. Look at the tunnel on the west side of the arena. Or even between the met and arena. It's barren also. City place is as barren as they get. In saying that. This Borg cube would work well with the other Borg cubes already there

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:15 PM

^That's exactly what we want to avoid. We being the people who use the streets. Barren landscape like the Hargrave tunnel are not desired. There was a proposal to turn Hargrave between City Place and TNS into a pedestrian area during events, as part of SoPo. Hopefully that is maintained with TNS.

Connectivity to the surrounding streets is important. Especially if Graham is to be pedestrian friendly. A Long blank wall along Graham and/or Hragrave would be ridiculous. I would expect there to be restaurants or some type of retail along those streets. That is all. Blank walls like the Convention Centre? No thanks.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:16 PM

I like it

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:37 PM

^^ Exactly. It would be nice if the Graham side had some patios or something similar. It would also be nice if the Graham/Hargrave corner is mostly open to funnel in crowds from MTS Centre events. If the Hargrave side was open it could also encourage CityPlace to change its current borg cube wall into street level patios that we have seen in some renderings.

The most recent public render though seemed to feature giant blank walls along both Graham and Hargrave with a relatively small pedestrian opening at the corner. The Carlton side of the development had a much larger opening from the square to the street. Considering the ballet school residences are behind the old Hull books on Carlton and Graham, if there is a side needing to have the square walled off it would be there to isolate the student residence from the loud public square. There could also be arguments for doing some similar isolation between the square and the church. Guess we will have to wait a couple weeks to see.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If the Hargrave side was open it could also encourage CityPlace to change its current borg cube wall into street level patios that we have seen in some renderings.
Funny you mention the Borg cube, I was originally going to use a picture of that as my 'render'

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 1:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

perkins + will

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 7:26 PM

Does anyone ever get weird vibes that this whole thing with TNS (and everything that went down with the Carlton lot) has been more or less planned for 10 years? Looking at those original SHED renderings it looks like lots of things are on their way to actually happening around that block. And yes, hopefully the Hargrave and cityplace upgrades are part of this whole (evil) masterplan.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 2:04 PM
Ignore these four words.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post

I'm going to take a page from Urban Recluse' editorials, " It needs more colour."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan