HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:02 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Seriously? It's in the South Loop and they're students.
Um, I Believe TUP was being highly sarcastic, so..

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:10 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Where is everybody going to park?
Pretty sure Pritzker Park is going to be a surface lot to feed this ... ;-)

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:04 AM

Centrum Lakeview @ the Paulina 'L'

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:26 AM

Blackhawks practice facility updates anyone?

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Centrum Lakeview @ the Paulina 'L'
relatively handsome

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:32 PM

Hairston Says 71st Doesn't Need Another Dollar Store, So She's Rezoning It
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-dollar-stores

Ald. Hairston is doubling down, listen to this:

Quote:
“People want things that generate synergy and these businesses don’t generate any jobs — they hire their family members and take that money with them out of the neighborhood,” Hairston said.
Hiring family members isn't creating jobs, got it.

Quote:
She said she has tried the standard tools of aldermen to go after businesses licenses and found it too slow and easy to get around.
She wants to be able to shut down a business by dictorial fiat.

The rest of the pack is getting on board too.
Quote:
Ald. Greg Mitchell (7th) has introduced an ordinance that would require businesses get a letter of support from the alderman before being issued a license.
Contributions to reelection campaigns is probably the best way to secure aldermanic "support".

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:03 PM
tilted & shifted

Navy Pier Flyover

The Navy Pier Flyover is taking longer to complete than the Golden Gate Bridge
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...t?oid=26375876

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:06 PM
you know where I'll be

^ The mayor will need to exert some political capital against this........not that he has tons of it to go around, but this is way too heavy-handed (I actually believe the intentions are well-placed here, but it's just the wrong way to try to deal with problem businesses, as its a far too slippery slope, and places far too much power in already too-powerful aldermanic hands).....

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:20 PM

As usual the alderbeasts are out of control. Someone needs to step forward in this town and push for total reform. Aldermanic perogative must die. Nothing in the city government can function properly until they are stripped of their fiefdoms.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:30 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It will of course never be Rahm. When one's political capital is at its highest, that's when true colors are revealed - he has never - ever - been an actual reformer. I realized that years ago....... he mainly has wanted to not make any big waves and upset the delicate balance that keeps him in power....that's where he's coming from......he's just not a 'do big things' sort of guy, that's all....

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:17 PM
The City

I think the only thing that could check Aldermanic power is the courts.

Unfortunately, the courts in Chicago and in Illinois in general have done a poor job of serving as a "check" on other branches of government, unlike Federal Courts that have been thwarting Trump's agenda left and right.

If such a law passed (requiring Aldermanic approval of a business license) I would hope it would be swiftly followed by a court challenge.

Actually, I would love to see a massive court challenge mounted against Aldermanic prerogative in general. It would be a daring and expensive lawsuit, of course, but it would be good to see it attempted. It would require months or years to put together the evidence, but lots of testimony showing that it is largely being abused by Aldermen to elicit campaign donations or support, and to strong arm businesses or individuals into hiring certain "friends" of the Aldermen in question would really make the case.

The key here being that the power given to Aldermen is too easily subject to abuse and undermines the democratic process...

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:26 PM
Urbane observer

^I'm curious what legal argument you think could be used to judicially forbid aldermen from representing what they perceive as their constituents' wishes.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:24 PM

Chicago simply needs less aldermen. The city is really held back by the petty micromanagement of these extortionists.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:50 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^I'm curious what legal argument you think could be used to judicially forbid aldermen from representing what they perceive as their constituents' wishes.
Thats up to the lawyers.

But don't you think it's overreach for an Alderman to have a say in each and every business license issued in their ward? Is that not creating an environment ripe for abuse? Are we not supposed to be protecting our citizenry from the abuses of government?

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a legal argument but it's sure as hell a slippery slope given the extraordinarily unethical nature or most Alderman.

I suppose it works in North Korea, why not Chicago I guess...... Perhaps eventually Alderman can tell us what color to paint our houses or what kind of landscaping we can have because someone else in the ward may not like our particular choice.

Also, when it comes to the 'wishes of their constituents' that typically just means a dozen loud and bitchy people that show up to the meetings. Hardly ever a representative population.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Because constituents wishes aren't necessarily what good for the city or area. Also, it's stated in the article that many people aren't for the change in zoning and there's yet to be actual community discussion on the issue.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
That's backwards. What legal argument makes a single alderman the sole arbitrator of what businesses are and are not allowed to operate?
Here are the business license application requirements (https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...formation.html). There's nothing in there about neighborhood surveys, neighborhood approval, reelection campaign contributions, etc.

Here's the thing, there are plenty of retail vacancies. The way community wishes should be met is, if they don't see the businesses they want, people are free to start those businesses. And they're free to not patronize those they don't want.
If a business stays in business, by definition the community wants it.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:47 PM
Urbane observer

You guys understand the distinction between "not a good idea" and "legally forbidden by the Constitution," right? A lawsuit attempting to knock down the judgment of an elected official has to be based on the second.

Our system anticipates that the remedy for bad ideas comes at the next election, not in a courtroom.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:09 PM
The City

^ Not knocking down the judgement of an elected official; knocking down their power

Constitutions lay out the duties and powers of elected officials.

Otherwise elected officials can keep assigning themselves more and more authority over more things. Who's to say an Alderman can't tell you that the color of your house is illegal? Do they not have a defined scope to their power?

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
I wouldn't call it a legal argument but it's sure as hell a slippery slope given the extraordinarily unethical nature or most Alderman.

I suppose it works in North Korea, why not Chicago I guess...... Perhaps eventually Alderman can tell us what color to paint our houses or what kind of landscaping we can have because someone else in the ward may not like our particular choice.

Also, when it comes to the 'wishes of their constituents' that typically just means a dozen loud and bitchy people that show up to the meetings. Hardly ever a representative population.
From what I know of NK - that isn't exactly the way things work.

Now my brothers sub-development in Florida - yes you definitely must get their approval to paint your house - you have one approved shade of white to choose from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development