HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Roy Halifax in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:12 AM

All this talk about height and you people forgot to notice beautiful REAL red bricks going in along the podium today!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:45 AM
Honored Member

I have only seen The Roy in pictures, but it looks high enough to be impressive. I am looking forward to seeing the finishing touches.

^^^ The brick looks like a light brown; I thought it would be more of a red brick like the original facade.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jun 9, 2017 at 11:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:29 AM

The height phobia is real. But so are market conditions. I'll be surprised if the Roy sells out anytime soon. May take years.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
The height phobia is real. But so are market conditions. I'll be surprised if the Roy sells out anytime soon. May take years.
I've been into the show suite and sales room a couple times - the finish packages are nicer than, like, 80% of what I've seen elsewhere in this city, and the balconies are huge. There are nice amenities, and I think a building like this will appeal to buyers looking to have a downtown lifestyle (but relatively far from things like groceries). It's a more urban feeling development than Gorsebrook and Curve, which have this kind of idealized condo by a park feel. The north end condos like Harris East and Q Lofts are much lower levels of luxury... like, WAY lower, and would be more appealing to buyers entering the market. Meanwhile, I feel like Monaghan felt distinctly suburban.

If they can market it to the right segment (and the demographic is large enough) they could maybe sell out in a reasonable time frame. However, the multiple switches of sales teams tells me that they're having difficulty.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:37 PM

The Roy looks squat because, like the Maple, the floor plates are huge and the tower is wide.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:52 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Starfish plays the long game. they wait for the tenants they want.
they dont seem to care about properties sitting vacant for a while.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I have only seen The Roy in pictures, but it looks high enough to be impressive. I am looking forward to seeing the finishing touches.

^^^ The brick looks like a light brown; I thought it would be more of a red brick like the original facade.
Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. When walking on Barrington St. the Roy seems quite tall and imposing, which I believe is the feel that people on this forum want. I might feel different about it if I were flying overhead in a helicopter, though.

However, I don't live in Etobicoke, so maybe I don't have the same perspective? Maybe I'm height-phobic and hadn't realized it?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:20 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. When walking on Barrington St. the Roy seems quite tall and imposing, which I believe is the feel that people on this forum want. I might feel different about it if I were flying overhead in a helicopter, though.

However, I don't live in Etobicoke, so maybe I don't have the same perspective? Maybe I'm height-phobic and hadn't realized it?

I think that the narrow Halifax streets (common with older east coast cities) makes even 20 storey buildings look tall. On the other hand, if this was in a mid-western or western city with wide streets then it would look far less impressive.

Another thing that makes the Halifax skyline more impressive, as seen from the harbour, is the hill that the city is built on, so a 10 storey building on Brunswick Street look like 25 storey tower from the harbour.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Another thing that makes the Halifax skyline more impressive, as seen from the harbour, is the hill that the city is built on, so a 10 storey building on Brunswick Street look like 25 storey tower from the harbour.

Well, it may be impressive compared to, say, Moncton. But that is not a word I would generally use to describe our tabletop of squat buildings.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The Roy looks squat because, like the Maple, the floor plates are huge and the tower is wide.
This! It's all about proportions. The Roy looks squat from some angles, but there are others that make it look right. Down from the south end of the waterfront it looks pretty good. And from afar on barrington.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, it may be impressive compared to, say, Moncton. But that is not a word I would generally use to describe our tabletop of squat buildings.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:26 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 10:36 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:06 PM

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 10:25 PM

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 4:54 PM

This building and the maple are like sisters

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDPer4life View Post
This building and the maple are like sisters
Yes the full span balconies filled with glass give them a similar look. The Roy balconies are HUGE. Which is nice but they will really cut down on the amount of direct sunlight those units receive. Always nice to have some windows that are not shaded by balconies so you can get lots of direct sun filling your unit in the shoulder seasons (typically sun is too high in the summer to get much direct light anyway... balcony or no balcony).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:26 PM

Framing going up on the South stairwell.

20170811_135012 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:07 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth