HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I heard a rumor that Crombie Properties and HRM are having quiet discussions about a land swap that would see the city take the property upon which Crombie has the right to build their long-delayed tower at the end of Granville Mall, the so-called "Triangle" site. Anyone know more?
Probably make sense for the interchange changes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Probably make sense for the interchange changes.
I am not sure what the history of this plot is. I guess it must predate the interchange and Scotia Square development.

Chances are that as you suggest it's better for the project if they add this piece of land to the plan, arrange everything as a larger whole, and then give Crombie a new development site of similar or greater value, rather than adding a constraint Crombie probably doesn't care much about.

The existing plans show a public space around Granville Street and the former Ordnance Yard, with a little staircase going up to Barrington. One could imagine this being opened up more.

They must be thinking about this but I hope there are plans to do some archaeological assessments of that area and showcase its history after the redevelopment instead of treating it like a blank slate. It has been intensively developed for nearly 300 years. That is extremely rare in Canada and in Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's a rendering showing possible zoning for the downtown Dartmouth area:

http://www.uplandstudio.ca/regional-...town-dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Overhaul of Purdy's Wharf:

Source

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 11:02 PM
Halifax Promoter!

That "wharf" jutting out at Purdy's Wharf always seemed inadequate and just there... this may make it look better, but there is nothing there to interest anyone to going out on this...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's a rendering showing possible zoning for the downtown Dartmouth area:

http://www.uplandstudio.ca/regional-...town-dartmouth
Good luck with that. It took me a while to orient myself to what I was looking at because they included not street names but once I found Admiralty Place at the bottom I was able to figure it out. It seems a tad... ambitious. That kind of build-out will never happen.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:18 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Good luck with that. It took me a while to orient myself to what I was looking at because they included not street names but once I found Admiralty Place at the bottom I was able to figure it out. It seems a tad... ambitious. That kind of build-out will never happen.
Not in our lifetime but it could happen over the years. Looking at Kings Wharf built out is neat though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:35 PM

It may take awhile, but it is the next logical step as development opportunities in DT Halifax start to dry up. Once there is some momentum going on the Dartmouth side it could happen in a relatively short time, if our population/economy continues to grow and land/building costs in other parts of the country continue to be high.

Lots of 'ifs' to be sure, but there has to be a plan in place or it will happen organically and not make best use of the land that is there moving into the future.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
That "wharf" jutting out at Purdy's Wharf always seemed inadequate and just there... this may make it look better, but there is nothing there to interest anyone to going out on this...
I currently work in Tower 2 at Purdy's Wharf. The revamp is much needed however, with the new design there lacks an incentive to go out on the wharf. With this being the end/start of the boardwalk I feel as if a fountain/monument would have attracted more attention and fit the space well. Something similar to the Wall Street Bull in NYC but, for Purdy's Wharf.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 10:01 PM

What was the original intent for that wharf? It is of much more substantial build than any of he non commercial peirs along the waterfront. Was the build of it a requirement for the development agreement, or does it protect the salt water intake for the cooling system? I thought I had read rumours of a third building on it but I always assumed that was more urban legend. It always seemed under utilized. Only recently for sit seem regularly occupied by yachts.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 10:06 PM
Halifax Promoter!

There had been a proposal to build townhomes on that pier many years ago, but it could not be built as it was ruled that there wouldn't be proper access for fire trucks in the event of a fire... I think something could be done to better utilize this space.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:36 AM

I'm pretty sure the wharf itself predates the office complex and that it was built to be very permanent. I'm not sure what the original intended use was. It would be an interesting outdoor venue for concerts etc but it's rarely used for anything beyond dockspace. I think over the last couple summers there was a sort of beer garden/food truck area but I never saw it very busy. It's kind of the equivalent of a large surface parking lot for boats.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I'm pretty sure the wharf itself predates the office complex and that it was built to be very permanent. I'm not sure what the original intended use was. It would be an interesting outdoor venue for concerts etc but it's rarely used for anything beyond dockspace. I think over the last couple summers there was a sort of beer garden/food truck area but I never saw it very busy. It's kind of the equivalent of a large surface parking lot for boats.
My understanding was that it was built by the military during the Cold War era. I had heard from various sailors years ago that it was the only wharf on the harbour that could withstand a nuclear blast. Very overbuilt.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Not in our lifetime but it could happen over the years. Looking at Kings Wharf built out is neat though.
Five towers on Alderney Drive next to the railway yards. That will make an even better wind tunnel.
Add them to all the towers to be built after the Cogswell teardown.
It all looks like something Brett Kavanaugh would draw after a few dozen beers.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:41 PM
Steven Courchene

i am wondering if anyone has information on the redevelopment of the Canadiana restaurant there has been no machines or sign of life on the site for at lest two weeks and its now filling up with water (have they ran out of money)

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:16 PM

Heard today that "Nine Locks" has bought the vacant lot on Prince Albert Road next to the Fast Fuels. Also heard that someone has purchased on Ochterloney St the 'Humble Pie' building, 'Ma Belle's' building and the vacant lot next door that had the TimHortons.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Heard today that "Nine Locks" has bought the vacant lot on Prince Albert Road next to the Fast Fuels. Also heard that someone has purchased on Ochterloney St the 'Humble Pie' building, 'Ma Belle's' building and the vacant lot next door that had the TimHortons.
Both of those add to the Quaker feel in the area. Neither have much land around them, sadly I think we'll see an application for demolition probably sooner than later. The cottage could be moved nearby with no shortages of parking lots dotting the area but that's usually a long shot even when the developer offers them up.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Both of those add to the Quaker feel in the area. Neither have much land around them, sadly I think we'll see an application for demolition probably sooner than later. The cottage could be moved nearby with no shortages of parking lots dotting the area but that's usually a long shot even when the developer offers them up.
Driving by today, it looks like it is the small parking lot next to ma Belle's that has the for sale, but not the old Tim Hortons lot. I do like those two old buildings on Ochterloney, but don't hold much hope for them.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Driving by today, it looks like it is the small parking lot next to ma Belle's that has the for sale, but not the old Tim Hortons lot. I do like those two old buildings on Ochterloney, but don't hold much hope for them.
Yeah, there were three PIDs for sale: Ma Belle's, the small lot next to it (not the Tim's lot), and the Humble Pie building. They sold pretty much right away. Humble Pie owners say they have a lease until the spring, so I can't imagine anything will happen before then. I heard they were looking for a new space.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 9:31 AM

I think one of the hardest parts about conveying the effects of zoning is that when you visualize something to help people understand maximum theoretical impact you immediately get someone saying "that will never happen!" ... of course it won't. The point of that visualization isn't to say ... "we're going to tear down everything and build non-descript boxes of this size!" ... the point is to show maximum effects. I find it a bit less valuable to show a full build out impact diagram like this on its own ... I think we had an axiometric of DT Dartmouth with just the vacant lots filled with the existing buildings still in place as well.

Bigger conversation on this topic of course, but the practice of seeing a maximum effects diagram as a vision statement should be avoided.

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth