HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:37 PM

I think it is going to take a long time to develop this area outside the 3 story buildings mentioned in the first round. The actual build out will be so different than what is stated/planned. This area will not be desirable until railyards have some density and other developments take shape around the area. The midrises across the street are a good start.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 12:27 AM

Does anybody know how deep into fall does the new court house project need to begin????

Last edited by novatone82; Oct 10, 2020 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Does anybody know how deep into fall does the new court house project need to begin????
I have a friend who is working on the project for the city. She told me they plan to break ground in November.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:25 PM
Kodachrome

Colliers Sacramento Office Research & Forecast Report: Q3 2020

Colliers International is reporting that the Sacramento region’s market
vacancy rate increased 10 basis points quarter-over-quarter almost entirely
due to more than 136,000SF of vacant sublease space hitting the market.
The amount of space companies are planning to give back spiked in the third
quarter, of the 431,664 SF of new avable sublease space since the end of
March, 286,045 SF of new sublease space hit the market alone in the Q3,
a 73% increase in available sublease space in the last six months.

In new construction and forecast, the State of California is under construction
on four new office developments totaling over three million square feet with
the Richards Blvd. Office Complex representing the largest with 1.25 million SF. Download the report here.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:42 PM
Kodachrome

A plan was launched in 2017 to demolish the State Capitol annex on the east side of the
building and replace it with a modern office building. In addition, the plan also includes
building a private underground garage and underground visitors center. This is a
billion-dollar plan at a time the State has a $54 billion deficit due to the impact of
Covid-19. Read more in Sactown Magazine where investigative reporting puts a
spotlight on this boondoggle with public monies!

In late September, Gov. Newsom said he wants to explore the possibility of 75% of state
workers telecommuting after the pandemic ends.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:51 PM

Hi. This might be considered a very trollish post. My apologies in advance. I occasionally check out the Sacramento threads. I often compare Salt Lake City to downtowns like Sacramento's and San Jose's, where there aren't a ton of highrises comparatively. San Jose has a large metro, but a small downtown relative to it. Salt Lake City has a relatively small downtown too. Though, lately there has been a lot of development activity and speculation and proposals. There are about 6 towers proposed to be between 20 to 40 stories tall and 3 towers over 20 stories tall that are currently under construction. Just like many of you, we wish these downtowns would become larger and more significant, but with the pandemic, one doubts the reality of those that are proposed and have not yet begun construction. Anyways, here's an image of the highrises under construction along with the most serious of the current proposals. If you subtract out those in orange highlight, it's downtown is quite small and similar to Sactown's.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Salt Lake City .... There are about 6 towers proposed to be between 20 to 40 stories tall and 3 towers over 20 stories tall that are currently under construction.
What is the driver for all the proposed high-rise development in SLC? And are construction costs enough less expensive there to explain why they can build (or at least propose) tall buildings there but not here in Sacramento?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
What is the driver for all the proposed high-rise development in SLC? And are construction costs enough less expensive there to explain why they can build (or at least propose) tall buildings there but not here in Sacramento?
There is a super high demand for housing in Salt Lake City and along the Wasatch Front in general. There are thousands of units under construction and still not enough. The tech industry, ie. Silicon Slopes, is just growing tremendously, but many of the tech workers from out of state would rather live in Salt Lake City rather than way out in the burbs with a predominant dry (referring to alchohol) and largeish family culture. Some tech companies are recognizing this and starting to build more in downtown Salt Lake City. Along with that is more urban type of housing. We also have a lot of people who have moved in from out-of-state to join Goldman Sachs second largest office. I could give you some more specific stats if that helps to understand the difference better.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:33 PM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Hi. This might be considered a very trollish post. My apologies in advance. I occasionally check out the Sacramento threads. I often compare Salt Lake City to downtowns like Sacramento's and San Jose's, where there aren't a ton of highrises comparatively. San Jose has a large metro, but a small downtown relative to it. Salt Lake City has a relatively small downtown too. Though, lately there has been a lot of development activity and speculation and proposals. There are about 6 towers proposed to be between 20 to 40 stories tall and 3 towers over 20 stories tall that are currently under construction. Just like many of you, we wish these downtowns would become larger and more significant, but with the pandemic, one doubts the reality of those that are proposed and have not yet begun construction. Anyways, here's an image of the highrises under construction along with the most serious of the current proposals. If you subtract out those in orange highlight, it's downtown is quite small and similar to Sactown's.

I'm not sure what distinction is being made, as the two look quite comparable WITH the highlighted buildings of SLC INCLUDED. Aside from how the buildings in each skyline are massed, SLCs skyline does not look appreciably bigger than Sac's at all, and I'd argue, NEEDS the highlighted buildings in your photo to compare with Sac's. Both metros are equivalent in pop, and also in skyline. If you want an "above its weight" skyline, then let's talk about Austin.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:46 PM
ride or die

duplicate

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:48 PM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
It looks like they took their inspiration from an Art Deco hotel in Miami Beach.

source: https://www.spartnerships.com/new-br...ramento-river/

A little dorky, cartoonish, and "small-town" if you ask me - I thought bad postmodernism died in the 90s. Can't Sac commission a more worldly design for this bridge? What a squandered opportunity to make Sac a bit more sophisticated. I want CA to have its own cool midsized city, like Austin or Portland.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
A little dorky, cartoonish, and "small-town" if you ask me - I thought bad postmodernism died in the 90s. Can't Sac commission a more worldly design for this bridge? What a squandered opportunity to make Sac a bit more sophisticated. I want CA to have its own cool midsized city, like Austin or Portland.
Thanks? Yes, we all wanted something more iconic. As per usual, the biggest factor in this is money, which we will never have enough of when trying to accomplish a public project.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:24 PM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Thanks? Yes, we all wanted something more iconic. As per usual, the biggest factor in this is money, which we will never have enough of when trying to accomplish a public project.
I was waiting for someone to bring up money. The thing is, the winning proposal actually looks quite expensive. Only, the money appears to buy the kind of architecture you'd expect of a trophy project pushed some crooked politician in a developing country, not the kind you'd see in a cool "it" city like Portland or Austin. It's kind of sad to admit, but Ft worth recently erected a much more sophisticated bridge than this.

Sac should do much better, being the capital of CA, and the recipient of much coastal attention and money lately. Sigh

Sac is at the foot of the Sierra, near Tahoe, with a gorgeous wide, navigable river, in an enviable agricultural region, and 2 hrs from SF, and the capital of the coolest state in the nation. Sac should be a much cooler place than it is.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
I was waiting for someone to bring up money. The thing is, the winning proposal actually looks quite expensive. Only, the money appears to buy the kind of architecture you'd expect of a trophy project pushed some crooked politician in a developing country, not the kind you'd see in a cool "it" city like Portland or Austin. It's kind of sad to admit, but Ft worth recently erected a much more sophisticated bridge than this.

Sac should do much better, being the capital of CA, and the recipient of much coastal attention and money lately. Sigh

Sac is at the foot of the Sierra, near Tahoe, with a gorgeous wide, navigable river, in an enviable agricultural region, and 2 hrs from SF, and the capital of the coolest state in the nation. Sac should be a much cooler place than it is.
Yeah. We know.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 2:10 AM

Anyone catch the article "No Annexation without Representation" article in Sactown?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAndrew View Post
Anyone catch the article "No Annexation without Representation" article in Sactown?
I did. It does what always happens when we enter a bust cycle, claim that we shouldn't build anything because we don't have any money. The problem with these kinds of arguments is that WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE ECONOMIC DOWNTURNS, and many project take decades to come to completion which might overlap with two of three downturns in the economy.

We absolutely should fix the half of the capital that is falling apart and it should not matter that the economy is doing crappy.

/stepping off soapbox

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:51 AM

Although I am not a fan of these big, expensive government buildings (I think they drive up the costs of private projects), I tend to agree on your overall point. Sacramento started its latest hip journey during the last economic downturn. Many projects that entered the pipeline during that time are now under construction. Now is the time for planning. Who knows if this downturn will even be very long. It is entirely self-inflected. If things get back and running in a year or so, well, that's how long it takes for most projects to go through planning anyway. It's a marathon, not a 100-yard dash.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:06 AM

Downtown project on H Street adds more apartment units

By Ben van der Meer – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
November 11, 2020

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...ent-units.html

Quote:
Another round of revisions for a planned Downtown Sacramento housing project will result in more units in an eight-story building.

The new plans, submitted to the city last month, call for 137 apartments at 1220 H St., up from 109 in a plan revision last year and 97 in the original proposal two years ago....
The details:
  • All units would be studios or one-bedroom.
  • A 16-foot deep section of the original facade will remain.
  • That original portion of the building will contain small offices on two floors.
  • Previous iterations included a pool and a parking garage. These features are no longer included.
  • The property would be left with 4 parking spaces.

Sounds like they are trying to attract residents who make less than $150,000+ per year. I think that's a good thing. Although I'm a little concerned that this is the third version of the proposal. Maybe the lender is saying, "We need it to bring in more $$$."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:00 PM

It seems comparable apartment buildings are being filled rapidly so I am hoping this is a sign of demand and developers meeting that.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 7:15 AM

Just got word from a friend involved with the courthouse project. Fencing for the site to be delivered next Monday (16th). G St between 6th and 7th will be blocked off starting Tuesday with construction to follow. Estimating a 36mo construction schedule.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area