HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:24 PM

And wburg to sue in 5, 4, 3....

D&S Development buys former Sacramento Ballet building for apartment project
By Mark Anderson – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
Apr 19, 2018, 2:53pm
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...to-ballet.html
Quote:
D&S Development bought the former midtown headquarters of the Sacramento Ballet, with plans to develop a mid-rise, multiuse building with apartments.

D&S paid $1.5 million for the building at 1631 K St. Though currently vacant, it was previously the headquarters and classroom space of the Sacramento Ballet, which moved in 2016 to the Clara building at 2420 N St.

Built in 1928, 1631 K is 12,400 square feet and has frontage on both 17th and K streets....
Some of the particulars:
  • Plans are still preliminary. Sorry, no detailed renderings yet.
  • Located on a small lot (160 x 80)
  • Height could be 4 - 8 stories
  • Ground floor retail and creative office space
  • Number of housing units would be more than 50, but less than 100
  • Unit size will be smaller - 1-bed / 1-bath, around 600 square feet

Of course, I expect the preservationist community to oppose the project: I think Sacramento's first Latin-zer, transgender, jazz harpist once looked at the building in 1987. Therefore, it should be up for preservation.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:43 PM

8th and K

Here's the proposal for former American Savings building on the corner of 8th and K: http://www.sactownmag.com/Blog/2018/731-K-Street/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:42 PM

I really like that remodel. Certainly, I’d prefer if they added a couple more floors to the building - for housing. However, this remode should take that corner from dead and ugly to alive and bright. This is awesome news.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:54 PM

They have started demo of the Cafe Bernardo/Monkey Bar building at 28th Street and Capitol Avenue for the new hotel.

Quote:
Of course, I expect the preservationist community to oppose the project: I think Sacramento's first Latin-zer, transgender, jazz harpist once looked at the building in 1987. Therefore, it should be up for preservation.
I suppose you're trying to be funny but it's unnecessarily rude. IF you were familiar with the site you'd know that there is no real historical or architectural value to these nondescript buildings and therefore it's very unlikely that any SacMod or any other preservation group would oppose this development. Plus it's not close to a bunch of old houses so height won't be a major issue.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
Here's the proposal for former American Savings building on the corner of 8th and K: http://www.sactownmag.com/Blog/2018/731-K-Street/
This is a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT for that site! One more element towards the complete rejuvenate the 700 block of K St.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
They have started demo of the Cafe Bernardo/Monkey Bar building at 28th Street and Capitol Avenue for the new hotel.

I suppose you're trying to be funny but it's unnecessarily rude. IF you were familiar with the site you'd know that there is no real historical or architectural value to these nondescript buildings and therefore it's very unlikely that any SacMod or any other preservation group would oppose this development. Plus it's not close to a bunch of old houses so height won't be a major issue.
Are you sure about that???

These 1910 homes hosted punk rockers and poets. They were just spared from demolition.
BY RYAN LILLIS
RLillis@sacbee.com
April 12, 2018 12:01 AM
Updated April 12, 2018 10:58 AM

Quote:
...Irene Henry’s family owns the three homes on 21st Street, along with the Capitol Park Hotel at Ninth and L streets downtown. The family wanted to demolish the houses and build a new apartment building on the site...

...“We were hoping to take them down, but the city says no, and there’s not much else we can do,” Henry said. “I think it’s unfair."

The houses have a long history in the city's cultural scene. Beat poet Allen Ginsberg is believed to have done a reading there in the 1970s. By the 1990s, the houses became an epicenter of midtown's punk rock scene. One of the houses was known as "P House," for nearby P Street. Another was called "Casa de Chaos."...
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/new...208587144.html

Wburg and his crew of Marxists and progressives successfully blocked the wishes of a property's rightful owner. Architecturally speaking, the central city is chock-full of homes like the ones referenced in the above article. Plus, the subject homes don’t even come close to the best examples that exist in Sacramento. They’re pretty basic.

The homes' historical value seems pretty weak as well: What reasonable person cares if a few old homes became cheap housing for some communist punks back in the 1990s? Alan Ginsburg is "believed to have given" poetry readings all over California. Should we be required save every building that he may have graced with his presence?

I'm sure that, with a little research, one can find something in any building that a special interest group considers "historical.” And that's the whole point of my joke: Nobody else cares about those houses, except a few NIMBYS and a couple punk rockers, yet they're being saved anyway. How can you replace older buildings (which Sacramento has a ton of) and develop more, much-needed housing if the standard for considering them historic is so low?

I lived in Sacramento for 30 years. I have walked that area and passed the old Sacramento Ballet building many times. I am aware that the building is fairly nondescript - so are the houses referenced above. The building does have a great ceiling with nice wood beams and a mural painted on the outside of it. Knowing Sacramento’s community of NIMBY preservationists, those two features could very well be used to make a case for preservation.

As far as the building's provenance is concerned: Who know's? Maybe Baryshnikov's understudy's cousin's drug dealer sold 8-balls outside, on the corner, back in the 80s. “It's possible... Just to be on the safe side, we better preserve the building, then.”

Look, all I am saying is that I would not put it past wburg and his acolytes to find an excuse to block development. They're willing to crap on someone's property rights just because they have a personal connection to a few old, crappy homes. They're still suing over Yamanee (even though the city and a judged ruled against them) and they're trying to derail the Sacramento Commons project.

You found my little joke to be rude? Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it. I wouldn't expect a progressive or Marxist to love my humor. I'm not trying to appeal to you.

Let's be honest, here: You don't like me or my politics. Therefore, you've decided to call me out for making a "meh" joke. The purpose of your post was not be informative or allay my fears. It was to be a smug, dismissive jerk and embarrass me in open forum. I'm OK with that, since I'm a big boy and I can take it. Besides, I don't like you either. I hope you don't live in Sacramento. It gets kinda hot up there; and a snowflake like yourself does not stand a chance

Last edited by snfenoc; Apr 21, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:59 AM

^^^ yeah you’re just reaching to confirm some bias you have. I don’t have time or patience for that nonsense. I’m pro-development and pro-preservation and feel like everything in life one must weight all factors. When you deride all progressives as raving anti-development it shows an uneducated bias. Plenty of NIMBYs are politically conservative.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:15 PM

I'm pretty far left and consider myself a progressive, but even I think some of these efforts to preserve seemingly anything and everything are a bit ridiculous. Not that I favor free reign development, I certainly value historic preservation- but efforts to preserve things more often than not for small significance is a hindrance more than a value. The irony in a lot of the ultra-preservationists is it's an ultra-conservative position to not want to change things.

And you didn't make any jokes, snfenoc - you just insulted anyone to the left of your politics.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:43 PM

Photo Updates

Since Serg has been slacking, here are some photo updates on a few projects from the Biz Journal: https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...ojects-in.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:36 PM

New Food Hall/Market at the Mill @ Broadway

http://www.sactownmag.com/Whats-Cook...previewmode=on

Looks like a good project for the Broadway corridor and the folks at the Mill. Does anyone have any thoughts or know anyone who's purchased at the Mill so far? Just curious what the current outlook is and how that area will develop in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:40 PM

New Apartment Proposal for 16th and E Street

https://twitter.com/benvsacbiz/statu...26155812667393

Here's a rendering of a 5 story apartment building with 95 units from Kolokotronis.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
https://twitter.com/benvsacbiz/statu...26155812667393

Here's a rendering of a 5 story apartment building with 95 units from Kolokotronis.
A little confused. Is it 16th and E, or 16th and F? The tweet says E, but the article appears to say F. Both locations have vacant lots.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 11:43 PM

It looks like the article was corrected to say 16th and E Streets throughout.

I was confused too, because I thought the SE corner of 16th and F was supposed to be the location of an LGBTQ senior housing complex??

There's also a Victorian-style complex going in on the SW corner of 16th of F. Then, there's the Mansion Inn and the apartment complex across the street.

Wow! That area is going to be really busy. I love it. 16th street is a main artery out of downtown. It needs a lot of TLC. Hopefully, 12th street will get the same kind of treatment.

I really admire SKK Development. To go from tough times to development after the development, the way they have, shows a great deal of resolve.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:27 PM

Speaking of SKK I noticed they have put up the fencing around the Sac Bee parking garage at 21st and Q street. Demo should start anytime. The project is called The Press Building. It will take up the entire block and be the largest housing complex built in central Sacramneto since Capitol Towers downtown. It will have 253 apartments, ranging from 500-square-foot studios to a few three-bedroom units at 1,700 square feet.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 9:56 AM

I was at 19J on Friday and took a few pictures of it. I figured I'd share them here. I don't go there too often, but it looks a lot different than the last time I saw it in person.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:08 PM

I can't see the photos. Not sure if it's my browser or you need to use a different image hosting site.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:06 PM

I can't see the photos.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 9:52 AM

That's interesting. It worked when I previewed it before posting. Here's another shot at it. Hopefully it will continue to work this time.

Last edited by DLMugsrove; May 1, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:53 PM

What ever happened to that "Repower the Tower" campaign?

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:31 AM

Aerial flyover of new 20 story state office high-rise on 7th and P street

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxFF22tTNQ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area