HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:36 PM

Winnipeg's North Point Douglas / South Point Douglas

We haven't heard anything like this since the Blue Bombers were looking for a new location to call home. Now the Blue Bombers have a new home. This shouldn't be too hard to implement ideas from the previous proposal to the new one.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-point-douglas

Last edited by Arcticwolf33; May 23, 2024 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Winnipeg's and North to the title.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:53 PM

Might be good to add "WINNIPEG" in the title for anyone not familiar with the area.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Might be good to add "WINNIPEG" in the title for anyone not familiar with the area.

I mentioned The Blue Bombers. This should a given where they play.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i need to get engaged in this somehow. this realy should been done in the 90's better late then never

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:15 AM

I'm curious what they actually envision? I can't imagine the residents will be too enthused since it'll most likely gentrify them right out of their neighbourhood if it's done like the Waterfront Drive area was.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i need to get engaged in this somehow. this realy should been done in the 90's better late then never
Keep your eye on this page for events and surveys.

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/point-dou...hbourhood-plan

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:35 AM

Waterfront Dr extended. Higgins/Waterfront mixed use residential, etc area. With the park at the end of Point Douglas. Transit could run through there, was part of the earlier study, which I could share again here.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I'm curious what they actually envision? I can't imagine the residents will be too enthused since it'll most likely gentrify them right out of their neighbourhood if it's done like the Waterfront Drive area was.
I have a feeling a fancy Local Area Plan (as the City calls them) won't gentrify the neighbourhood. Point Douglas is too economically depressed to draw in the types of big developments that would gentrify the neighbourhood. Developers want to build in neighbourhoods where they can make money, such as River Heights, Osborne Village, St. Boniface, etc.

The City of Winnipeg released a very fancy and detailed Local Area Plan for Centennial in 2008 showing a bunch of mixed-use streets and talking about how newly-built parkades need to be carefully integrated into the urban streetscape. As far as I know, there has not been even 1 new large-scale private development in Centennial since that plan was released 16 years ago. Literally not even one new private development. The only two new buildings in Centennial that I can think of are 525 William Ave (non-profit housing built with government money) and 390 Ross Ave (housing for homeless people built with government money).

Here is that plan:
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Doc...d=1&DocId=4386

Also, for anyone with some time on their hands, Bridgman Collaborative Architecture did a community plan for North Point Douglas 5 years ago. It's more focused on amenities than on development, but it's a good read.

https://www.bridgmancollaborative.ca...compressed.pdf

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I have a feeling a fancy Local Area Plan (as the City calls them) won't gentrify the neighbourhood. Point Douglas is too economically depressed to draw in the types of big developments that would gentrify the neighbourhood. Developers want to build in neighbourhoods where they can make money, such as River Heights, Osborne Village, St. Boniface, etc.

The City of Winnipeg released a very fancy and detailed Local Area Plan for Centennial in 2008 showing a bunch of mixed-use streets and talking about how newly-built parkades need to be carefully integrated into the urban streetscape. As far as I know, there has not been even 1 new large-scale private development in Centennial since that plan was released 16 years ago. Literally not even one new private development. The only two new buildings in Centennial that I can think of are 525 William Ave (non-profit housing built with government money) and 390 Ross Ave (housing for homeless people built with government money).

Here is that plan:
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Doc...d=1&DocId=4386

Also, for anyone with some time on their hands, Bridgman Collaborative Architecture did a community plan for North Point Douglas 5 years ago. It's more focused on amenities than on development, but it's a good read.

https://www.bridgmancollaborative.ca...compressed.pdf
This ^

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Gentrification and revitalization are 2 sides of the same coin. I’m tired of seeing shitty old, dilapidated inner city neighborhoods, and frankly the increase of housing supply will mean a smaller displacement in comparison to if nothing gets built in the area. Because the people who would be interested in moving to the area as things move in the right direction would gobble up the old housing stock and displace the residents at a faster rate.

I also never understood the desire to stay in one neighborhood for your whole life. It seems like such a waste in this vast world that someone would pick Point Douglas and say “yep that’s where I want to stay for 50+ years and raise my family” But I guess that’s why I’m in Québec and not in Winnipeg anymore.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 10:49 AM

I'd imagine the 100 or so people who live in South Point Douglas would welcome new neighbours who aren't garbage factories, truck spawn points, and toxic waste dumps. Are there even any services for the local community left? It's not like a bunch of hipsters are going to take over the dive bars that don't exist, or Shoppers is going to take over the mom and pop grocery that doesn't exist. There's plenty of room to build thousands of affordable homes without displacing a single existing home--and a lot of amenities would come with them.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:24 PM

You guys make a good point. There's nothing really to gentrify. First and foremost infill of vacant industrial sites could be bashed out with little resistance.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:45 PM

Hello Biguc. It's been a while!

South PD you are bang on. There's not much there. Maybe our friendly land owner can chime in on his portfolio in the area.

North PD basically is do the Bridgeman thing. I will note it's a lot of the same in that report. Move rail lines. Less crime. More services. Rinse and repeat.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:38 PM

Hi bomberjet!

Googlemapsing around South Point Douglas, it's looking even more empty than I'd expected. The asphalt/soap/river-pollution factory is gone. That terrifying terrace house on Boyle is gone. Canada Cartage looks mostly empty. It looks primed for a tipping point.

Honestly, a lot of the little side streets look perfectly nice--leafy, with tidy homes and lush gardens. I'm sure the area still has problems with people driving in to nail hookers and whatnot, but in another life I'd consider moving there. The residential streets look ready for infill similar to what's gone on across the river.

Didn't Canada Cartage have some big, vague scheme to redevelop their property?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 5:30 PM

They painted it and now Covert Logistics rents out the space. Maybe the owner can chime in.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:16 PM
keep the good times going

Different news on Point Douglas is coming next week.

(All I can say now).

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Different news on Point Douglas is coming next week.

(All I can say now).
We need a hint. Can you give us a category at least? 😂

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:24 PM

Quote:
We need a hint. Can you give us a category at least? 😂
Ok honestly I HATE these teasers lol. I'd rather just be kept in the dark until there's a big splashy announcement. I'm losing sleep wondering what TV's projects are.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Ok honestly I HATE these teasers lol. I'd rather just be kept in the dark until there's a big splashy announcement. I'm losing sleep wondering what TV's projects are.
Ive been super curious about those projects too. Ive been looking at Google maps to try and figure out what the big announcements could be sitting on lol

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Ive been super curious about those projects too. Ive been looking at Google maps to try and figure out what the big announcements could be sitting on lol
Sorry I'm out of the loop, what does TV stand for?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan