HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 11:48 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obemearg View Post
Based on the site plans released so far I think this is going to chalk up to being a pretty nice building. The parking podium doesn't seem to be very visible from the street, there appear to be some nice curves, and the inward angle of the balconies adds a nice touch. Based on the images so far this reminds me of a taller version of the Faena House in Miami by Norman Foster. Hope it turns out nice!
That's a fabulous building. Who's the architect on this one?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
The NIMBYs in surrounding buildings seem to be out in full force against this one. Look at how many IP letters are attached to the site plan review!!! Astounding hypocrisy.
It sounds like you are conflating NIMBY and “Interested Party”

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post

That's worse than the folks whose houses were built yesterday-ish complaining about the historical views and such...
Yeah, IMO there are essentially two condos in Austin that have truly "protected" views: Plaza Lofts and the Hilton. Plaza Lofts because they are already surrounded save for Republic Square and the Federal Courthouse (which aren't going anywhere), and the Hilton because it's mostly surrounded by dirty 6th (historic), and the convention center.

I wish more condo buyers (and owners, I suppose) would realize that living in a downtown area means more buildings might come next to you. The lone exception being the few very top floors of condos like the Austonian/Independent (being so high, it's just unlikely to be blocked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSirRennie View Post
It sounds like you are conflating NIMBY and “Interested Party”
Some of those are merely Interested Parties who have signed up to receive updates about the development. But many of the letters (4/5 of the ones I looked at) are directly opposing it, and giving their stated reasons why.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post

Some of those are merely Interested Parties who have signed up to receive updates about the development. But many of the letters (4/5 of the ones I looked at) are directly opposing it, and giving their stated reasons why.
It seems pretty coordinated too. Most of the 5th/West residents had very similar language (sometimes identical) in their reasons for opposition.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 3:10 PM
World Traveler

The same thing happens in suburbia. People don't look at city plans, thoroughfare plans, zoning (current and planned), etc. Are people seriously not as big of nerds as the rest of us?

People buy a house in the suburbs that has a ROW for a six-lane road on one side and then get pissed when their "greenbelt behind their house" suddenly has a road. But when I bought my house, the first thing I noticed was there were some large plots of land around our neighborhood. I wanted to know what was planned to go there or, at least, what zoning changes could potentially happen down the road. You can't catch everything, but a lot of stuff is available when you take time to look.

Re: downtown/urban environments, density and development is part of the package. There are trade-offs, but you have to realize that going in.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Who's the architect on this one?
Would love to know as well... anyone find anything?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Re: downtown/urban environments, density and development is part of the package. There are trade-offs, but you have to realize that going in.
This! Exactly. And as “interested parties”, this is their opportunity provide input on the design, density, environmental impact, etc and how those types of issues affect them. It doesn’t mean they are NIMBYs but that they can ideas on how to minimize the impact to their own properties. (Granted, some of them *are* NIMBYs, just not all)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:16 PM

Some of the “complaints” seem to be about traffic on West Avenue, which sounds legit to me since that block and the block just south where West, Power Plant and 3rd all come together is already a mess. West Avenue, including its little bridge over Shoal Creek, wasn’t designed for the use it’s getting. Even restriping for turn lanes would help.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Some of the “complaints” seem to be about traffic on West Avenue, which sounds legit to me since that block and the block just south where West, Power Plant and 3rd all come together is already a mess. West Avenue, including its little bridge over Shoal Creek, wasn’t designed for the use it’s getting. Even restriping for turn lanes would help.
Drive slow. It will be fine.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but complaints about traffic are not legit in any downtown. Anything that slows downtown traffic is a plus. People/pedestrians take priority in high density environments. Cars can take a back seat (bad pun intended).

The area around the West/3rd is going to be getting some improvements soon. Those improvements are very much pedestrian first. Power Plant is going to be turned into a pedestrian promenade.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:30 PM

That is desperately needed and would be fabulous. Where can I get more information on that?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
It seems pretty coordinated too. Most of the 5th/West residents had very similar language (sometimes identical) in their reasons for opposition.
My building on Rainey did similar things for 80 Rainey/the Travis, etc. It came from our HOA and building GM, who sent out a few blurbs to everyone telling them to borrow on that reasoning to try and push back.

I'd imagine that this was a similar situation.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
That is desperately needed and would be fabulous. Where can I get more information on that?
https://shoalcreekconservancy.org/pr...s-shoal-creek/

The PDF found there has more details:
https://shoalcreekconservancy.org/wp...-Clean-WEB.pdf

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:12 AM

Quote:
So long as said buildings don't interfere with their view of other differently sized buildings.
My grandparents bought a 9 acre plot of land in georgetown about 50 years ago. It's in the absolute middle of nowhere--well it used to be. Now they complain about all the new development, and while I generally disagree with them (suburban development there is inevitable and necessary to reduce cost of living for the metro area), they've earned the right to NIMBY.

Nothing is more annoying than people who live in 600 ft apartment buildings complaining about 700 ft apartment buildings.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 4:38 AM

New elevations are out, and this one got a significant height boost - 11 floors and 146'.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=128600

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 4:53 PM
Member since 2001

Okay...So we loose a 750+ footer but gain a 550+ footer. Even trade?!?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 5:25 PM

It looks odd, which is promising, but it's hard to wrap my head around the actual shape of this thing from the elevations.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:25 PM
Member since 2001

This one seems to have a pulse...

https://austin.towers.net/west-avenu...ning-downtown/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 8:12 PM
クラブトクヨ

Odd they wouldn’t want the two restaurants at that site to be included on the first floor? No retail? Missed opportunity.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Odd they wouldn’t want the two restaurants at that site to be included on the first floor? No retail? Missed opportunity.
Yep this one with no retail is not acceptable IMO. Doesn't seem like a big ask.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin