HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: What is causing traffic congestion to increase in the city?
Beltline development 1 3.33%
Midtown development 4 13.33%
Citywide infill and gentrification 25 83.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Spring street used to be 4/5 lanes, and went down to 3/4 lanes (depending on the block) with the cycle track addition. With construction, it's been down to 2 lanes for much of the last year in a couple places, for example south of 8th street. And it hasn't cause a traffic apocalypse. I wish they'd keep it at 2 lanes after the construction is finished. Contrary to the OP, I've found that traffic is lighter in midtown this year because so many office jobs have gone remote. But that's just anecdotal. It would be great to see actual data since I have such a different perception than the OP.

Edit: According to ARC, interstate traffic in metro Atlanta 2021 was lower than in 2019, despite the growing metro population.
The midtown lane diets have definitely made things better. We should continue culling through lanes and convert the outside lanes strategically to non-continuous turn lanes, bike lanes, and expanded sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 6:03 PM

I downloaded annual average daily traffic for the center of Atlanta. You can only download 250 sites at once, so I drew a box around midtown, downtown, including some of the east side and west side. Ended up being 222 sites. They don't have 2022 data yet.
Comparing 2019 to 2021, average annual daily traffic is down by 2,447 cars per site when averaged across all 222 sites.

Happy to share the excel file, or this link might work. Says 228 sites but only 222 had 2019 and 2021 data for comparison.

Last edited by shivtim; Jan 3, 2023 at 6:11 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling errors

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I downloaded annual average daily traffic for the center of Atlanta. You can only download 250 sites at once, so I drew a box around midtown, downtown, including some of the east side and west side. Ended up being 222 sites. They don't have 2022 data yet.
Comparing 2019 to 2021, average annual daily traffic is down by 2,447 cars per site when averaged across all 222 sites.

Happy to share the excel file, or this link might work. Says 228 sites but only 222 had 2019 and 2021 data for comparison.
Makes sense tbh, given the huge amount of WFH in 2021 vs 2019. There used to be massive congestion up Williams Street and West Peachtree trying to head northbound every day between 4pm and 6pm; now that's pretty much gone.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta