HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 5:12 AM

Question from a recent NY Times chat with the photo editor:

Quote:
Q. Thank you for taking questions. The New York Times has phenonmenal photography and it is great to see the face behind it. My questions are: What is The New York Times's favorite lens set? What is The Times's favorite camera?
— Michael Sanchez
A. Most of our photographers are equipped with 35mm digital Canon 5Ds, 5D Mark IIs, or Canon 1D Mark IIIs, or Mark IINs, with a variety of lenses from 14mm to 600mm. One photographer uses Nikon D3 Digital SLR cameras and Bill Cunningham, who shoots film only uses, a Nikon FM2. We also have Leica M8 Digital cameras and Leica M6 film cameras, Hasselblads, and Mamiya RZ67's — medium format cameras, all with a variety of lenses. In other words, the workhorse camera brand of the photographers is Canon, but they will use whatever camera and lens they feel will get the best result.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 5:25 AM
reticulating splines

Everything I've posted here was taken with a Nikon Coolpix L4.

None too powerful but compact, easy to hold and gets the job done...most of the time. Like, when I'm not indoors with minimal light.

Outdoors it's passable.

I really would like some proper gear, just trying to find the money...

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Last edited by SouthByMidwest; Jul 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Anyone here own an ol' Film SLR and use it regularily?
Yes. I shoot with a Nikon FG, loaded with Kodak Tri-X. Lenses are mainly primes...50mm, 20mm,..although I do also have a mid-range zoom. I develop and print everything myself using a basement darkroom. Heres a shot I just developed last night:

As long as I can continue using darkroom, I have no intention to switch to digital. I approach the whole thing more as a craft and a hands on experience...I love the physicality of using and developing film. You can't beat the texture and tonal range of good fiber-based paper. The stench of the chemicals, the glow of the safe light, the comforting gurgle of the print washer at the end of the day...its visceral.

The other thing is: film forces me to concentrate and more carefully compose my shots. I see digital people take thousands of photos in a day. I have no interest in that nonsense. On the back end, Im also doubly careful making prints since every time you screw up you're wasting chemicals, paper (and time), which are all costly. Theres an individuality to printing film that you can't achieve with digital. I also think in the long term, this will increase the value of true fine-art silver gelatin prints. Whereas anybody can go into photoshop and print out 500 perfect copies of a print, with film even a master developer may only create a couple of truly technically correct prints from a given negative, each of which took untold time to arrive at. This places a premium on the end result; and again, each one is unique and no 2 prints are going to be exactly the same. Each person has their own unique signature which goes into the process and I cherish that individuality. Although I can certainly understand why from a professional standpoint, digital makes all the sense in the world.

I really have zero desire to learn photoshop either. I know people love it, and its certainitly nice to shoot in color as well. But I sit in front of a computer all day for work...I have no desire to do the same thing for my hobby.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 11:28 PM

^i thought those photos were film...but i know one can easily make 'film' effects.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
^i thought those photos were film...but i know one can easily make 'film' effects.
Of course you can. But like I said...wheres the fun in that?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 12:45 AM
Repeat!

Nikon D40 w/18-55mm. I'm a newbie at photography, so I'll probably stick with this for awhile.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 9:27 AM

Canon EOS XSI 450

Lens: EF-S 55-250mm/ 1:4-5.6 IS and the included EF 18-55

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 1:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
[ ... ]
As long as I can continue using darkroom, I have no intention to switch to digital. I approach the whole thing more as a craft and a hands on experience...I love the physicality of using and developing film. You can't beat the texture and tonal range of good fiber-based paper. The stench of the chemicals, the glow of the safe light, the comforting gurgle of the print washer at the end of the day...its visceral.
[ ... ]
I'll second that about the darkroom experience. I was eleven years old when I first watched my aunt make a print in her then-new basement darkroom. When I saw the image emerge in the developer tray, my immediate, soul-stirring response was, "Wow! I gotta do that!" It's like conjuring up magic.

I still have a closet full of film cameras, from a 1937 Leica up to Medium Format and a Speed Graphic, and I could go into my darkroom right after breakfast, intending to make a couple of prints, and emerge to find that it was dark out and realize that I hadn't eaten or gone to the bathroom in about twelve hours.

Time (now age 70) and the arthritis that I inherited from my parents have served to dampen my enthusiasm for standing at an enlarger and a sink full of trays full of chemicals in a damp and sometimes chilly place, and a DSLR and Photoshop have enabled me to continue enjoying my lifelong passion, admittedly now more focused on product than on process.

In my own processing I was always very careful to use fresh chemicals, follow time-and-temperature specs closely, and take care to avoid dust or water spots. On a few occasions I was lazy or pinched for time, and sent out b&w for processing, and on too many of those occasions the film came back dirty or spotted or improperly processed. A good film scanner and Photoshop have given me the ability to rescue some negatives and transparencies that, from processing errors or age, would have been exceedingly difficult to print using traditional wet processes.

The film scanner and Photoshop have allowed me to print my old negatives and transparencies the way I want, too. Too often, even expensive custom labs gave me prints that weren't sharp or clear or brilliant, and now at much less cost I can have full control over the process and work toward prints that look like the viewfinder image I recall. Although I've had to adjust my approach to photography, digital technology allows me to continue to enjoy it.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 2:14 PM

I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) and a Canon PowerShot G9. Lenses = EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM and a 50mm prime.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:29 PM

The looking for a camera that is slim, has a good size viewing screen and the picture have to be sharp.i love putting pictures on myspace so i wanna buy a really nice camera.if u have a good camera please do tell.

formalwear

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:27 PM

It's best to put your website in your signature as opposed to bothering to type it in for every single post.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 2:23 PM
恭喜发财!

I've got an Olympus E-500 with an 18-180mm lens on it (36-360mm equivalent). Not a bad camera, but a little too big for some things, so I'm planning to buy a Canon SX200IS (similar zoom range at 28-326mm), but fits in a pocket) for a second, more portable camera at some point in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 6:59 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I shoot with a Nikon D80

My current lenses are:
Nikon 50mm f1.4D
Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6

I would eventually like to have a Nikon D700 or whatever the equivalent is when I decide to take the plunge, but i'm not in any rush. I have a full-time job, but freelance occasionally. I may have some extra freelance jobs next year with the NKBA in Chicago, so if that works out I may use the money for a new body.

Nikon and Canon both make good cameras, but I personally feel that the Nikon bodies at the prosumer level are more intuitive for serious photographers. I have hardly had to touch the manual that came with my D80, whereas I found the similar Canon bodies awkward to even demo. I imagine some find Canon more intutitve than Nikon, but for me Nikon has always been a better fit.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 9:26 PM

I use an Olympus C7070 with a fixed 27-110mm 35mm equivalent F2.8-4.8. The lens that allows for better than 35mm equivalent life-size magnification and I am considering get a macro lens as well. I already have wide-angle converter with improves the wide-angle capability to 19mm.

I am considering in the future to invest in the Olympus Four-Thirds system since it has by far the widest range of digitally-optimized lenses, and I do not have any legacy film equipment. But I am in no hurry to switch and I been using this camera for 5 years now. The camera is not everything, and I did instead opt to buy a good photo printer recently. In fact, I am more likely to upgrade my printer than my camera.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 11:16 AM

Nikon D40 with the kit lens (18-55 not VR) and just picked up a 55-200VR. Going to take the new lens back, not meeting expectations at all.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:01 PM
Red October standing by

Nikon D90 with the following lenses:

Nikon 18-55 VR (night only)
Nikon 18-105 VR
Nikon 70-300 VR
Tokina 12-24

Canon Powershot SX100s for a pocket camera

Film:

Holga 120N

Kodak Duraflex IV (i think i'll use it for night and street photography)

some Holga shots:

A Duraflex IV shot (i need to scan my night and color shots from it)

my dad took this with the Duraflex IV in 1964

-

-fflint

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
Watchin em grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard View Post
Nikon D40 with the kit lens (18-55 not VR) and just picked up a 55-200VR. Going to take the new lens back, not meeting expectations at all.
I use mine on my D60 the majority of the time. What issues are you having?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
Just add water

I've got a Nikon D40x and a D300 with the following lenses:
  • Nikon 18-55mm f3,5-5,6 (Kit lens)
  • Nikon 18-200mm f3,5-5,6 (I don't care what people say, I just love this lens and use it most of the time)
  • Tokina 11-16mm f2,8 (this lens I love the most, almost no distortion, no aberration!)
  • Sigma 10mm f2,8 fisheye (nice, but rarely practical and unfortunately aberrations in corners)

Some of my pics:
Dubai: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166532
Norway: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=172535

Cheers

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
Nikon D90 with the following lenses:

Nikon 18-55 VR (night only)
Nikon 18-105 VR
Nikon 70-300 VR
Tokina 12-24

Canon Powershot SX100s for a pocket camera

Film:

Holga 120N

Kodak Duraflex IV (i think i'll use it for night and street photography)

some Holga shots:

A Duraflex IV shot (i need to scan my night and color shots from it)

my dad took this with the Duraflex IV in 1964

-
Those Holga photos are awesome... do you have your own darkroom?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography