HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:41 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Last edited by craner; Aug 11, 2022 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:59 AM

Some recent pics of the columns underway for the 600 metre above grade section of the Broadway Subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

Photo source: me

Columns above ground by Tim Horton's (889 Great Northern Way)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
That to me is even more disappointing than the Valley Line delay. Why so much opposition?

In transit project delays news, I'm pretty sure we had to rebuild the piers of one new Line 2 overpass for the ongoing Stage 2 Trillium at Hunt Club. Ottawa in general has had a lot of issues with bridges, with the Airport Parkway pedestrian Bridge, the Earl Armstrong-Strandherd Bridge (now Vimy Bridge) and a bridge at Hazeldean Road in Kanata. Pretty sure at least two of those were the same company.

Currently, Stage 2 Trillium is delayed by a year (on what was supposed to be a two year project), while Stage 2 Confederation West is also delayed by one year. (supposed to be a five year project) West is understandable as it's a complicated project with tunnels and highway interchange rebuilds, but Trillium is a pretty straight forward project. We're happy to see that Stage 2 east is still on time so far.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/constructi...year-1.6017168

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:17 PM
Community Guy

'That to me is even more disappointing than the Valley Line delay. Why so much opposition?'

1. A private company proposing something almost elicits a 'they must be profiting at the expense of the public' (good).

2. 'Not enough clarity' around the assurances should it fail or the like.

3. Lack of perceived indigenous consultation or involvement and concerns over a very sensitive area as it has burial grounds in and around the area.

4. Deflection or transference of multiple other issues being shared because this is acting as a platform for some.

5. Cause people have too much time on their hands.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'That to me is even more disappointing than the Valley Line delay. Why so much opposition?'

1. A private company proposing something almost elicits a 'they must be profiting at the expense of the public' (good).

3. Lack of perceived indigenous consultation or involvement and concerns over a very sensitive area as it has burial grounds in and around the area.

4. Deflection or transference of multiple other issues being shared because this is acting as a platform for some.

On the first point, that mentality is really annoying. Like the housing "advocates" who complain about developers building new housing.

First and second points can be argued together, yes the private sector is proposing with the intention of makin a profit I'm sure, but it's also about giving Edmonton a great new piece of infrastructure. Reminds me a bit of the opposition to Lansdowne in Ottawa, yes the private sector may profit, but it's overall a huge improvement to the area.

Third point, how much is known about the burial ground? Can't imagine the gondola with a few piers will disturb it that much compared to a large building.

We've had to deal with former cemeteries quite a lot in Ottawa, with a large part of the eastern end of the CBD (NAC, Confederation Square, Queen Street) once used as the burial site for the Canal builders and early Bytown. Human remains were found during major projects such as the NAC, and even the Confederation Line. Those bodies were moved to Beechwood Cemetery a few kilometers east. That said, I understand that an Indigenous burial ground is a bit more sensitive than a Catholic cemetery that was poorly "moved".

Was the issue about the burial ground raised beforehand? It seems common for people to bring up issues, real or perceived, years after something has been planned because it nears reality, like the new site of the Civic Hospital in Ottawa (site chosen in 2017, people start freaking out in 2020-2021 to protect "historic" grass that was occupied by surface parking and buildings up until the 90s and 2000s).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Some recent pics of the columns underway for the 600 metre above grade section of the Broadway Subway.
We don't see a whole lot of updates from the Broadway Subway on here. Nice to get a little something once in a while.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:

To be fair the Gondola folks have done themselves very little favours getting to this point. If their indigenous engagement in working around, and potential on a traditional burial ground is good, then they could maybe actually share those results. The unwillingness to do so does not create trust. Their arguments about integrating it into the transportation/transit system are odd and incomplete. The hypothetical fare structure is questionable.

I don't understand enough about to appreciate if any of it is actually workable, but it doesn't seem like they have either. There are some valid questions being asked and at this point and they seem to be unwilling or unable to answer them. They've managed to push it along pretty fair with vague promises and pictures, but now that things are getting a bit more concrete some people are understandably unwilling to keep going down this path without more clarity. Sure, nothing would be finalized yet, but it does feel like the approach is to push it along peice by peice until it's too hard to back out.

If you want to use public land to build a private amenity that you will be making money off of, then its on you to convince the public that what you are doing is good and valuble.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:37 PM
Community Guy

Structural issues on Edmonton's LRT line could add 6 months to construction time, says engineer

TransEd CEO Ronald Joncas says the company will have a new strategy within weeks

Natasha Riebe · CBC News

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...-lrt-1.6549116

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:10 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 1:26 AM

Last edited by Hybrid247; Aug 13, 2022 at 3:03 AM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:10 AM

Quote:
I don't think this is a fair assessment. Plenty of in house construction work gets delayed and overrun as well.

The fact that its the union bringing this up is also a pretty blatant conflict of interest.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:20 PM

Low-Level bridge? Isn't it the High-Level Bridge?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:23 PM
Community Guy

Technically both.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:53 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton SEVLRT elevated track pillar support cracks.

Northlands on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...24534/page-247

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 7:14 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 9:57 PM

how do they fix cracks in the cement?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 4:40 AM

Great to see Edmonton get new LRT, just too bad they decided to follow Ottawa's example.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Great to see Edmonton get new LRT, just too bad they decided to follow Ottawa's example.
What do you mean?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
What do you mean?

I think he means the P3 model, A Public-Private Partnerships.
Both used that same model and both are having major problems.

I don't know the specifics of either deals but I would assume going with the cheapest or second cheapest contract may not be the way to go, see Union station in Toronto for what going with the cheapest contract does.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I think he means the P3 model, A Public-Private Partnerships.
Both used that same model and both are having major problems.

I don't know the specifics of either deals but I would assume going with the cheapest or second cheapest contract may not be the way to go, see Union station in Toronto for what going with the cheapest contract does.
Sadly, all contracts seem to be given to the cheapest bidder instead of the best bid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada