HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 7:02 PM

Yeah, active streetwalls all around the actual streets, let the parts at the south end lead into a sneaky little commercial plaza area, then hammer down on residential density going north. When it comes to phase two north of York, a second commercial platz or piaza or whatever up near Shaw Park would probably not go wrong. As it is, I fear all the commercial space will end up residential anyway, then they'll fence the whole thing off to keep thieves out and it'll be a suburb in the city. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The thing about railside is that it is an island. It isnt plugged in to the city the way an historic city centre like this would typically be.....it will house maybe a thousand people in phase 1, maybe 2500 in full build out. Even if the density was increased by 25%, those numbers are not enough to sustain retail. It will rely heavily on the 5 million people per year who visit the Forks. To me, that is why it is ok to take a risk and attempt to create something not seen before. It has a baked in support that a normal development doesn't have.

The 45 degrees things was a debated issue for sure, but with the rail line setback and uncertainty of the street narrowing, I'm not sure it really changes density all that much. About 100 units per acre is reasonably high density. It definitely changed the street frontage experience and put more focus on the courtyards.
At 2500 people that's about 10k per square kilometer. That's not bad, but half what a presentable European neighbourhood puts up. I have serious misgivings about the destination angle when it's displacing the parking for the existing (like it or not) drive-in destination.

You can't go wrong with self-sustaining.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 7:07 PM

^ There will still be a fair bit of parking in the area with the parkade. And if FNP builds another parkade like the existing one, it can pretty well offset the loss of spaces due to the Railside development.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 7:16 PM

That's true. I was thinking they could even dig up their existing lot in the middle of the Market area and build an underground parking level like you see under a lot of Spanish plazas. It's not an intractable problem, and the plan has time to change and adjust as it unfolds. I just worry they'll build a handful of buildings, it won't work, and they'll give up on the whole thing. Worst case scenario, it really harms The Forks Market and they need some bailout before they can adjust. We all know how well that kind of thing goes over.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 8:55 PM

It’s important to remember the whole reason why they’re starting with the southern portion only, and drawn out over some time, is so that in case some of these values questions/challenges do come true, they could potentially change course (ie: go higher density) for Railside North.

I also don’t see parking as an issue whatsoever. Aside from NYE, Pride and Canada Day the lots are already half empty or more. There will still be parking and likely more integrated in some buildings. Plus, the plan is to build a large parkade owned by The Forks in the lot north of Union Station. Add in all the potential for new development on Main and general growth, I don’t see retail here being an issue at all.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 11:12 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It’s important to remember the whole reason why they’re starting with the southern portion only, and drawn out over some time, is so that in case some of these values questions/challenges do come true, they could potentially change course (ie: go higher density) for Railside North.

I also don’t see parking as an issue whatsoever. Aside from NYE, Pride and Canada Day the lots are already half empty or more. There will still be parking and likely more integrated in some buildings. Plus, the plan is to build a large parkade owned by The Forks in the lot north of Union Station. Add in all the potential for new development on Main and general growth, I don’t see retail here being an issue at all.
This is a big thing many people seem to either forget or ignore. Much like the dreaded loss of non-existent green space, the dreaded lack of parking will only exist on 2 or 3 days a year, the rest of the year the north lot will more than support the whole place. And the lot to the south right beside the market is apparently not going anywhere either.

In 2045 or whenever they get to the north lot they can look into expanding the parkade or something. A problem for the next generation to deal with.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 2:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
This is a big thing many people seem to either forget or ignore. Much like the dreaded loss of non-existent green space, the dreaded lack of parking will only exist on 2 or 3 days a year, the rest of the year the north lot will more than support the whole place. And the lot to the south right beside the market is apparently not going anywhere either.

In 2045 or whenever they get to the north lot they can look into expanding the parkade or something. A problem for the next generation to deal with.
Come on, no one goes to the Forks now because it’s too busy!

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:

When I told my mother recently about the Railside plan, she was immediately concerned. "But where will we park?" She hasn't been to the Forks for Canada Day in >10 years.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 8:31 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Come on, no one goes to the Forks now because it’s too busy!
One of my fav Futurama quotes is pretty perfect for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIrl...rryAboutQuotes

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Excellent point. When there's a huge event at The Forks (like Canada Day) a lot of people park off-site anyway, to avoid traffic jams on the way out.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:05 AM

Here is a picture of the work currently being done on Parcel 4.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I have serious misgivings about the destination angle when it's displacing the parking for the existing (like it or not) drive-in destination. .
If you've actually been to the Forks in the last few years, that's really not an accurate way to describe it outside of Canada Day or a handful of other event days. Those are the only times the parking is even half full. The Forks has managed to become sort of a regional hub for people within walking/biking/skating distance and keeps the Common bustling with them instead of families driving in from wherever to go to Pancake house.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 2:25 PM

i have a teen working at a Forks eatery this year & I can tell you over the past month, warm weather = packed till 9pm, bad weather = ghost town. I think adding a few hundred residential folks will aid in having more consistent crowds for the eateries.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 2:28 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
If you've actually been to the Forks in the last few years, that's really not an accurate way to describe it outside of Canada Day or a handful of other event days. Those are the only times the parking is even half full. The Forks has managed to become sort of a regional hub for people within walking/biking/skating distance and keeps the Common bustling with them instead of families driving in from wherever to go to Pancake house.
With three kids it's either bike along waterfront or drive for us. No good bus service into the Forks. The last time we went we took the bus and walked from Pioneer. Wasn't too bad, but it's tough to have a day there with young ones after walking a kilometer.

Hopefully this makes the gap feel smaller when walking, the blank walls and surface lot along east Main Street, then the underpass and more parking lots makes it feel a lot longer.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:42 PM

A couple points. The Forks is purposely discouraging driving. That is their intent. They will be reducing Izzy Asper from 4 lanes to 2 lanes.

They are relying on people travelling in via other means. Such as transit, with the updated master plan routing.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

forks sure did a nice job in building the demand over the years for it to function

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
With three kids it's either bike along waterfront or drive for us. No good bus service into the Forks. The last time we went we took the bus and walked from Pioneer. Wasn't too bad, but it's tough to have a day there with young ones after walking a kilometer.

Hopefully this makes the gap feel smaller when walking, the blank walls and surface lot along east Main Street, then the underpass and more parking lots makes it feel a lot longer.
Yeah I don't deny that if you live far from the core and have kids driving is by far the easiest way to go to the Forks. But the Forks has/is transitioning away from that model. Suburban families still think the Forks is supposed to revolve around them and their kids visiting twice a year and can't fathom that it's not all about them. Really the forks is pivoting to serve the neighbourhoods close by and is better for it.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:56 PM

If people need to drive there's still a parkade for them to use and the existing small lots right at the forks. I don't think I've ever parked out in those gravel lots in all my years of going there.

People can also park elsewhere. If you plan on driving in for Canada Day and need to park on site. That's a bad idea from the start. Park somewhere else, such as St. Boniface, and walk in. That's what people have been doing for decades anyways.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:31 PM
What could go wrong?

When we drive to the Forks we usually park on the Tache side and walk across the bridge and through the Forks grounds. Very enjoyable.

...in winter though, it's the parkade...we're not super hardy. I as well, have never, every parked in one of those gravel lots.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:45 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
When we drive to the Forks we usually park on the Tache side and walk across the bridge and through the Forks grounds. Very enjoyable.

...in winter though, it's the parkade...we're not super hardy. I as well, have never, every parked in one of those gravel lots.
I think I'll remember this -- sounds like a good idea.

We didn't own a car for the last 7 months, so our bus trip was in the winter... Not fun at all.

The worst part of all of it is the transfer from the bus from the Forks to other services. Navigo recommends getting off at Portage Avenue East and walking to Main and McDermot... Talk about no fun on a windy winter day.

I hope the new Transit Master Plan addresses how difficult The Forks is to get to by bus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan