HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:42 PM

Total savings = $17/person. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Something like that.

The city acknowledges the inconvenience of parking for seasons ticket holders for the new downtown centre, but this is the best they can come up with???

This is frankly insulting. I was hoping for something more substantive, like guaranteed parking for seasons ticket holders. A $17 handout from city hall may make them feel better, but it means diddly-squat to me........

I remain uncertain if I'll keep my seasons ticket next year.........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Something like that.

The city acknowledges the inconvenience of parking for seasons ticket holders for the new downtown centre, but this is the best they can come up with???

This is frankly insulting. I was hoping for something more substantive, like guaranteed parking for seasons ticket holders. A $17 handout from city hall may make them feel better, but it means diddly-squat to me........

I remain uncertain if I'll keep my seasons ticket next year.........
Not only is this insulting and non-substantive, why does this apply to only season-ticket holders? Maybe I am interpreting this wrong but doesn't the 50 cent "levy" apply to ALL tickets sold, not just to season-ticket holders? We ALL have to go through the ridiculous process of trying to find a parking spot.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:38 PM

Well at least we now know what was gonna be the extra fees for each tickets sold. 50 cents is not that bad. I agree that it's kinda a slap in the face of season ticket holder, but for the people buying tickets here and there...it could have been worst.

But expecting 400k out of it? That means if they do go out and bring the expected amount of events announced (around 115 if my memory serves me correct), that means they expect to get around 7000 people per events!!

If you remove the 2000 season ticket holders, that means they expect a near sell out at every Wildcats AND Magic games

I know they'll get a bunch of sellouts concerts for the first few months (there's already a bunch of names passing nearby this fall that I hope SMG have the money to bring), but still, the bar is high.

BTW, we see part of the agreement that SMG got with the City at the end of the article:

"Under its contract with the city, SMG will run the centre and hand over a set amount to the city each year for 20 years or a share of the profit SMG makes, whichever is greater."

Which is a lil different than the deal they had with Kingston, as the amount was fixed, so if they didnt reach it, SMG had to get the remaining from their pocket.

Given that they're in the process of reviewing this deal, I guess they felt that it wasnt profitable for them to do the same in a new arena.

Finally, speaking of parking, I noticed something while shopping in Laval last weekend. There's a strip mall in front of Place Bell, where they set up a few booths where people need to go and pay a fee (10$) to park in a designated area (in front of the now closed Sears decor). Plus they have securities walking around and make sure that nobody parks outside this area, and walk to the venue.

I calculated the walking distance, and it's pretty much the same as the Sobeys parking, so it could be something to think about.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
A second crossing of the tracks is going to be needed quickly if the city is expecting a parade of 5000 to 9000 spectators to funnel through the subway to get back to parking on the other side of the tracks. Can they make that section of Main street under the tracks pedestrian only for when a show ends?
Agreed they're going to have to do something. They're going to find out pretty quick the lengths drunken buffoons and impatient fathers will go to cut corners. People will be crossing the tracks guaranteed, even with a fence there they will climb over it or cut holes in it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are some recent photos of the interior of the events centre (from the city of Moncton website). Sorry about their small size.

Arena

Club Lounge

Concourse with concessions (nice windows!!)

Main Lobby

Corporate Boxes

View of the arena from a corporate box

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:00 PM

While nothing is assured in life and the parking situation is a fluid one at best, the Wildcats main concern (for parking) is for their season ticket holders and how parking will impact them, the 2000+ season ticket holder base is what floats the Wildcats boat and is of utmost importance to them. The city is aware of this as is SMG. For a contract to have been signed between the Wildcats and SMG/City this issue would have to have been addressed and what ever was discussed must have been satisfactory to the Wildcats for them to have signed and be so happy about it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:49 PM

They could easily make another pedestrian railway crossing similar to West Main across from McDonald's. Cost effective, simple and it works.

Only problem I see...VIA Rail. The current fencing is also a deterrent to prevent stow aways to jump on board.

However, I can't see the city committing to any form of crossing without 100% assurance from land owners across the other side.

If it's safe for pedestrians to cross railways on West Main, Lutz st, Gordon, Robinson, Victoria, St George, etc, then it safe to cross behind Events Centre.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
While nothing is assured in life and the parking situation is a fluid one at best, the Wildcats main concern (for parking) is for their season ticket holders and how parking will impact them, the 2000+ season ticket holder base is what floats the Wildcats boat and is of utmost importance to them. The city is aware of this as is SMG. For a contract to have been signed between the Wildcats and SMG/City this issue would have to have been addressed and what ever was discussed must have been satisfactory to the Wildcats for them to have signed and be so happy about it.
Absolutely!!

There are two completely different demographics in play here as far as the Wildcats are concerned.

The demographic that the events centre will most appeal to are younger casual hockey fans who maybe go to a handful of games a year. These are the people who would be inclined to make an evening of it and include a pre game meal or drinks afterwards as part of their night out. The downtown location of the events centre is ideal for them.

The second demographic is the 2,000 hard core season's ticket holders. This is the base of the Wildcats support. These people are older, frequently retired and generally mostly interested in arriving just before the game and going home immediately afterwards. The downtown location of the events centre is probably a nuisance for most of these people, with parking a major issue (cost, inconvenience etc).

Irving risks loosing a significant percentage of this second demographic, especially people over 70 years old, in declining health and on fixed incomes. A 500 metre walk on slippery sidewalks in the wintertime can be a significant disincentive as well as maybe an additional $300-400 per year in parking costs. Unless something is done to appease the elephant in the room, I could easily see at least 30-40% of the seasons ticket base for the team disappearing into mid air.

If the city is too rigid in it's active transportation ideology to act on this issue, then I think Irving should make a deal with a major lot owner in the downtown to reserve space for seasons ticket holders for a reduced parking fee. Otherwise, there could be a significant drop in attendance at Wildcats home games.......

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
The second demographic is the 2,000 hard core season's ticket holders. This is the base of the Wildcats support. These people are older, frequently retired and generally mostly interested in arriving just before the game and going home immediately afterwards. The downtown location of the events centre is probably a nuisance for most of these people, with parking a major issue (cost, inconvenience etc).
I think you will find that as the arena location changes so will the STH demographics. For the Wildcats one of the biggest hurdles is going to be transitioning STH focus away from appealing to automobile-focused retirees to younger, more active families.

We shouldn't speak about the STHs as if they're some immovable object. The demographics of STHs will change as the team moves. I hope the older, auto-focused retirees enjoy the Coliseum whilst they can, because the new rink is not built with them in mind.

Regarding the new building, selling corporate boxes and events is going to be 10x easier when there are hotel rooms/major offices within a five minute walk. This is where the real money is, and losing a handful of STHs is less vital than ensuring the corporate boxes are full.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I think you will find that as the arena location changes so will the STH demographics. For the Wildcats one of the biggest hurdles is going to be transitioning STH focus away from appealing to automobile-focused retirees to younger, more active families.

We shouldn't speak about the STHs as if they're some immovable object. The demographics of STHs will change as the team moves. I hope the older, auto-focused retirees enjoy the Coliseum whilst they can, because the new rink is not built with them in mind.

Regarding the new building, selling corporate boxes and events is going to be 10x easier when there are hotel rooms/major offices within a five minute walk. This is where the real money is, and losing a handful of STHs is less vital than ensuring the corporate boxes are full.
You may be correct in this, but if this is the case, I find it unfortunate that the city and Robert Irving would feel that the current seasons ticket holders are "expendable".

I've talked to some older seasons ticket holders at games this season and I can assure you that they are greatly distressed. They are passionate fans that care about the team but they feel that they will be unable to continue as supporters after this season because of the limitations of the downtown location of the arena. They feel as if their concerned are not being listened to and they feel abandoned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big proponent of the new arena. I just think that the city (in particular) has been tone deaf to the concerns of the current batch of seasons ticket holders. Some accommodation should be made.......

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Absolutely!!

There are two completely different demographics in play here as far as the Wildcats are concerned.

The demographic that the events centre will most appeal to are younger casual hockey fans who maybe go to a handful of games a year. These are the people who would be inclined to make an evening of it and include a pre game meal or drinks afterwards as part of their night out. The downtown location of the events centre is ideal for them.

Irving risks loosing a significant percentage of this second demographic, especially people over 70 years old, in declining health and on fixed incomes. A 500 metre walk on slippery sidewalks in the wintertime can be a significant disincentive as well as maybe an additional $300-400 per year in parking costs. Unless something is done to appease the elephant in the room, I could easily see at least 30-40% of the seasons ticket base for the team disappearing into mid air.

If the city is too rigid in it's active transportation ideology to act on this issue, then I think Irving should make a deal with a major lot owner in the downtown to reserve space for seasons ticket holders for a reduced parking fee. Otherwise, there could be a significant drop in attendance at Wildcats home games.......
The point I was trying to make is that for Irving to have signed the deal with SMG and for them to be so happy with it and knowing that the WC Season ticket holder parking was a major issue with them (Wildcats) that something is or is in the process of being worked on.

There are plenty of potential lots that are large enough to accommodate STH and more, they of course have to be on board with everything but you would have to look at the evidence and presume that negotiations are well underway.

Here is a quick schematic showing lots close by that could potentially accommodate STH'ers if deals can be reached.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree. There is enough parking nearby (as long as the booters are kept at bay), that a lot somewhere could be found for seasons ticket holders, and I think most of them would be willing to pay a premium of $100-150 per season for the right of guaranteed parking. I hope you're right that negotiations are ongoing......

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I agree. There is enough parking nearby (as long as the booters are kept at bay), that a lot somewhere could be found for seasons ticket holders, and I think most of them would be willing to pay a premium of $100-150 per season for the right of guaranteed parking. I hope you're right that negotiations are ongoing......

I'm a season ticket holder and you'll likely be interested in this communication we just recieved

"We have also had some very positive meetings with private lot owners - there is parking! We are looking to get parking pass options out as soon as we can. The intention is that you will have options to buy a pass for a specific lot that way you will know where you are parking each night. There are lots as close as across the street and many within one block of the building. We want to ensure our season seat members are taken care of first prior to looking at what lots will be available for nightly games and events.

There is a lot to look forward to as a member of this team and we are working hard to ensure your interests are looked after as we move forward. Only a few regular season games left at the Coliseum and on to playoffs. Looking forward to seeing you all at the rink. We want to thank you for your continued support and as always, I appreciate feedback and am happy to answer any questions you have."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
I go to a few games a year from Fredericton. Would be very hard to take a taxi. Unless I stay downtown for the night but I do t do that too often. I personally don't mind paying for parking. Just have it get downtown early enough to get a parking spot
Yes. The downtown events centre is designed for a casual fan such as yourself. You're only coming to a few games per year, so you are more than likely to consider it a special event and go out to eat before the game. If you are able to arrive early (to go to the restaurant), then there should be plenty of paid parking options for you to consider. Just make sure your lot is clearly labelled as a public paid parking lot (no booters!!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm a season ticket holder and you'll likely be interested in this communication we just recieved
I just received the e-mail for season ticket holders too. While the city has been ignoring us, it sounds as if Mr. Irving has been listening to our protestations loud and clear. A pass for seasons ticket holders ensuring parking privileges sounds like the way to go. Now all we need to find out is how much this pass will cost. $10 per night would be $340 per year (regular season only), which is too much. I doubt that the base would agree to much more than about $150 per year. We'll see.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 2:53 PM

150 a year (without the playoff), is only 4.41$/game. Given that the best they could do for tickets was to remove the 50 cents fees, I doubt they'll give STH such a deal.

Especially since the spots near the Centre could easily go around 10$ IMO.

Lets say that lot owners do charge 10$ per spot, but SMG decide to give them to all 2000 STH at 5$. It would cost them 340 000$ just for regular season!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
150 a year (without the playoff), is only 4.41$/game. Given that the best they could do for tickets was to remove the 50 cents fees, I doubt they'll give STH such a deal.

Especially since the spots near the Centre could easily go around 10$ IMO.

Lets say that lot owners do charge 10$ per spot, but SMG decide to give them to all 2000 STH at 5$. It would cost them 340 000$ just for regular season!!
I agree, but $10 per night is $340 per year. Seasons tickets run about $450 per year. If you add in another $340, that means a 75% jump in cost for car dependent Wildcats season ticket holders. That's quite a premium, especially when, as I mentioned, a lot of these people are retirees on fixed incomes.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:16 PM

Just tossing something else out there that was talked about before the latest parking talk. A few weeks back, I was in Ottawa and I caught a Sens game at the CT Centre. The nosebleed section seats (and as far as I could tell all the rest of the seats) did not have cup holders.

Now the CT Centre is one of the older professional arenas out there, so more modern arenas might have different design choices; but all in all, the lack of cupholders didn't seem to be that much of a hindrance for the fans that I could see.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Just tossing something else out there that was talked about before the latest parking talk. A few weeks back, I was in Ottawa and I caught a Sens game at the CT Centre. The nosebleed section seats (and as far as I could tell all the rest of the seats) did not have cup holders.

Now the CT Centre is one of the older professional arenas out there, so more modern arenas might have different design choices; but all in all, the lack of cupholders didn't seem to be that much of a hindrance for the fans that I could see.
There's no cup holder at Place Bell, and from what Im seeing in pictures, there's none in Centre Videotron as well.

I went to the Bell Centre last Saturday, and held my beverages in my hand most of the time, and didn't felt the need of a cup holder.

And MonctonRad, I know it sucks, but lot owners will probably want to get as much revenue as possible for their lot. They were probably told by the City about all the extra cash they could generate during events.

In the end, someone will have to pay for it, either STH, The City, SMG or Irving, but it will definitely not be the lot owners, because if STH dont want to pay 10$ per game, casual fans will gladly do it if it means being less than 1 minute walk to the Centre.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:40 PM

On the bright side, between 1/3 and 1/2 of the parking issue for hockey games is taken care of, possibly a percentage of the parking for other events as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces