HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
First off, excellent photos and beautiful landscapes. A truly beautiful city.

A few years ago I visited for the first time and I had hyped it up so much in my mind as an urbanist's dream that I eventually was disappointed by a couple of realizations when I arrived. So many incredible things to love, to be sure. But since I couldn't afford to stay in the city itself, I found getting around to be problematic without a car. What I wasn't expecting is that although the area is incredibly dense, the bay itself spreads things out far more than I'd ever imagined and makes it pretty hard to get anywhere quickly.I guess I never realized the bay was so large. Coming from the great lakes state, it looks puny on a map
It's a lot bigger than it looks and the metro area sprawls just like everywhere else.

Centrally located hotels are really expensive, that's the biggest down side. I could see it being extremely difficult to get around if you were staying further from downtown. I spent a lot of time trying to find a hotel deal and still spent more than I would have liked. I ended up bidding on priceline. No deals from airbnb either (at least if you have a kid traveling with you).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:13 PM
Editor

Very nice! Love SF!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM
Editor

Agreed. An awesome city for sure, but if it has a downside, it would be that it's super expensive, which for a lot of people means living in far away locations. It's not as easy to get around when you're not right in San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
First off, excellent photos and beautiful landscapes. A truly beautiful city.

A few years ago I visited for the first time and I had hyped it up so much in my mind as an urbanist's dream that I eventually was disappointed by a couple of realizations when I arrived. So many incredible things to love, to be sure. But since I couldn't afford to stay in the city itself, I found getting around to be problematic without a car. What I wasn't expecting is that although the area is incredibly dense, the bay itself spreads things out far more than I'd ever imagined and makes it pretty hard to get anywhere quickly.I guess I never realized the bay was so large. Coming from the great lakes state, it looks puny on a map

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Very nice set. Everyone would apparently agree that the subject is fine anyway.

Wondering whether they would ever dare to retire their stock of old streetcars to operate some modern and bigger. These ancient and quaint in particular seem like part of the city heritage to entertain tourists.

I believe the rolling stock of New Orleans is much like these and fulfils that same tourist mission. It won't prevent the city from expanding their network, but would they give up on their ancient cars for some recent, longer and probably faster? Newer lines should operate some modern vehicles though.
Ummmm - We do have a subway system in San Francisco, which they are currently expanding. We actually have 2 subway systems. One that is just in the city and a 2nd commuter line. The vintage cars are for the character,

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos