HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:44 PM

I'm noticing the site being cleared out more and more each day.

This morning, they're removing the platforms on top of the site trailers. Likely in prep to move the trailers themselves.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:50 PM

Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
...I'm on it!

[

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:12 PM
keep the good times going

Glass going up on the second tower!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:25 PM

A couple photos form today. Gives you a sense of what the final finished will look like.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm noticing the site being cleared out more and more each day.

This morning, they're removing the platforms on top of the site trailers. Likely in prep to move the trailers themselves.
They will move to put hoarding up just around Tower 2 so the plaza and Tower 1 can open in July.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:32 PM

Thanks for the info Biff. Will the construction elevator on tower 1 been down by then as well?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 7:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Tower 1 and the Plaza are to be complete and open by July, so yes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 7:59 PM

Right, thanks Biff. That would mean the tower crane will be down by then as well.

It feels like they're taking forever to get the cladding on. T-3 months and counting.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:02 PM
BANNED

That whole chunk of downtown is going to be so new looking in a couple of years. It's good that the Newport Centre is in the middle of it all to remind us we're still in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
That whole chunk of downtown is going to be so new looking in a couple of years. It's good that the Newport Centre is in the middle of it all to remind us we're still in Winnipeg.
They have already begun
Retrofit of that property. Rendering are floating around in another thread.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:27 PM
What could go wrong?

The view south down Donald from around the Town is mighty impressive now...dare I say even "City Like" with some depth in the density of the SHED area.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:38 PM

I really like how the Donald side of Centrepoint turnout. With Browns, the ALT entrance, and Tim Hortons. I also really like the entrance to Glasshouse. Especially at night. Feels urban.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:39 PM
BANNED

I love narrow streets.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:28 AM

View looking south from Carlton
[IMG][/IMG]
Picture is mine. Click for larger image.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
They have already begun
Retrofit of that property. Rendering are floating around in another thread.
I hope it's just the base. If they move on to the upper floors, I hope they stick to just replacing the rest of the windows. I actually like the look of the building as is.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 6:56 AM

I was reading up on Sutton Place Hotel and Residence on the True North Square website. Construction is supposed to start this spring or summer yet not be completed until 2021. Any reason why it would take 3 years? It doesn't look to be that big of a project...certainly not one that would require 3 years.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 1:20 PM
There is always a way

Is there anyone who can confirm when the excavation and site prep will begin for the hotel and residences?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I really like how the Donald side of Centrepoint turnout. With Browns, the ALT entrance, and Tim Hortons. I also really like the entrance to Glasshouse. Especially at night. Feels urban.
Yeah too bad they biffed on the parkade. Wish they would at least just continue that yellow/white board treatment throughout the rest, at lest main floor. Would make such a big difference visually – the corner at Ellice is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
View looking south from Carlton
[IMG][/IMG]
Picture is mine. Click for larger image.
God those Portage Place skywalks need to be redone. Hideous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I was reading up on Sutton Place Hotel and Residence on the True North Square website. Construction is supposed to start this spring or summer yet not be completed until 2021. Any reason why it would take 3 years? It doesn't look to be that big of a project...certainly not one that would require 3 years.
Very possible they just through that number out there early on when they hadn't even finalized the Sutton Place design yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Is there anyone who can confirm when the excavation and site prep will begin for the hotel and residences?
Ludlow said a couple weeks ago that it would begin "later this year." I'd imagine it's just full steam on finishing Tower 1 in time before they even consider starting the second site.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:45 PM
What could go wrong?

The hotel project is moving along - "Access to a Proposed Hotel and Residential Development - 220 Carlton Street" goes before the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage, and Downtown Development on April 9, 2018. Item #30.

Parkade access and entrance and exit driveway. Nice to see that the building podium encompasses the whole site from St Mary Ave north to the RWB residence building consuming that small surface parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The hotel project is moving along - "Access to a Proposed Hotel and Residential Development - 220 Carlton Street" goes before the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage, and Downtown Development on April 9, 2018. Item #30.

Parkade access and entrance and exit driveway. Nice to see that the building podium encompasses the whole site from St Mary Ave north to the RWB residence building consuming that small surface parking lot.
Oh good the downtown pedestrian environment definitely needs a bunch more driveways.

Last edited by wardlow; Apr 3, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan