HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 11:58 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Lawsuits, funding, red tape: all legitimate concerns. Assuming them all away for the moment, to me th big concern is to make this fit with what's already there. It looks like they are making a decent effort to be loosened up modernism and blend with the Capitol Building. This is good since they are part of a community not a one-off showpiece.

The plazas are good since the Boulevard is rather crowded, but they should be limited. This is a good place and good opportunity to avoid Bunker Hill, Century City and LA Live that ended up with too many plazas and metal/glass and lost much sense of an urban community. Hollywood has the potential to have this in spades, and the alley utitlization ordinances are pushing in this direction. There should be non-linearity and quick access from doors (building or parking) into street life or active passageways.

If done right, this area could attract thousands at night and be very active in the day as well. Do it right.
A little off topic, but you think L.A. Live has too many plazas? Huh. It reminded me more of walkways between buildings, with that one central plaza in the middle. Plus, the plaza is in the middle of the complex, not street facing like the ones at Bunker Hill.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 1:50 AM

it helps to have fewer and better plazas rather than multiple underdeveloped ones. occasionally developers will attempt to put one in the middle of buildings for the specific tenants of those buildings to use, instead of constantly pulling people off the street. sometimes this works out well, but it's really important to have plazas put to good use.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Actually I think that CC has too many plazas (or open space) and Broadway has too few. Hollywood Blvd. has too few but that's OK if you have some open spaces on Selma, Vine, Cahuenga or whatever street.

Between Highland and Gower, north of the Boulevard it's pretty dense with lots of high-rise. The parking lots that get built-on should have some "non-built" areas, but I don't like to call them "open space". Better to call them low-rise with activity. Small plazas with water, greenery and outdoor seating; small parks with Hollywood exhibits or themes; play areas for small children; bike rentals or parking areas; etc., are all good. They turn a plaza into a place of activity rather than a place of concrete and derelicts.

Same idea for Selma. More alley "activation" and projects like the Urban Outfitters complex among the medium-rise.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post
Here's the headline picture that came with the article that shows the two towers:

I have mixed feelings about this project. On one hand its exiting to have something this tall get built but on the other hand its out of place near the Tower Records building. I think Hollywood should have a height cap on about 20 stories. However I would love to see 40-50 story towers go up in Miricle Mile which unfortounatly is getting filled up with 4-5 story buildings.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I have mixed feelings about this project. On one hand its exiting to have something this tall get built but on the other hand its out of place near the Tower Records building. I think Hollywood should have a height cap on about 20 stories. However I would love to see 40-50 story towers go up in Miricle Mile which unfortounatly is getting filled up with 4-5 story buildings.
I never thought about it like that but I actually agree with you. Also wish this group would buy more land in DTLA and build towers this tall there.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
This is confusing. Not sure why you're so against LOCAL traffic. If the only cars that ever traveled Fair Oaks were from South Pas and San Marino, there would be ZERO traffic in our city.
I didn't say I was against local traffic. And by local traffic, in that quote you were referencing, I mean it in that "non-express lane" way, meaning having the option to access the broad area between the 210 and 10 freeways; I also meant by "local," not just South Pas and San Marino residents, but northern Alhambra and City of San Gabriel residents too:

Google Maps

Look at the gap the tunnel would close; it's 4.5 miles. Again, it would take care of through traffic, and by that I mean from drivers who are already coming from points south of the 10 and north of the 210, but anyone in the area in between would still have to drive on surface streets, just like now. I doubt most northern Alhambra and San Gabriel residents wanting to get to Pasadena and Glendale would drive SOUTH to the 10 to access the tunnel to go back north. They would just drive surface streets through San Marino and South Pas to get to Pasadena, just like they already do now.

Quote:
Dude you're missing the whole point of the tunnel. No on-ramps or off-ramps is what you WANT.
I think you missed my point, in that in terms of "better" freeway access, this tunnel serves no purpose to the locals (South Pas, San Marino, northern Alhambra, etc. residents), which I more or less explained why in my above paragraph. But yeah, I wouldn't want any on or off ramps to this tunnel, because then that would increase east-west traffic through our area, and would involve serious trenching and digging for those ramps.

As a side bar, the 710 tunnel plan also includes a possible Huntington Drive access/exit point, which I don't like at all. Of course that would involve digging and trenching where Huntington Drive would meet the proposed tunnel.

Quote:
As for the ventilation "shafts", I don't think they are what you think they are. I think people have this image of ventilation ducts being these turn-of-the-century 5-story monstrosities with carbon monoxide pouring out. With today's technology, they can make them very inconspicuous and wouldn't look all that different from a simple grate in the ground or rainwater gutter.
These are some renderings taken from the 710 tunnel final report, which says that these ventilation towers might be as high as 100 feet:

It's possible that they would try to somehow disguise them, but that still doesn't sit well with me:

Fake Water Tower ventilation tower

Mission Revival ventilation tower

Crafstman ventilation tower

They'd also try to screen these with trees. And of course there'd have to be emergency access passageways.

In the end, I think the tunnel is more trouble than it's worth. When the Alameda East rail corridor is completed, that would take away even more big rig traffic off the 710 freeway. Plus, the only city that's really extremely for the tunnel is Alhambra, which in my opinion, has done NOTHING to mitigate its traffic problems. True, the bottleneck created by where the 710 ends at Valley Blvd. is awful, but Alhambra hasn't done anything like synchronizing traffic lights or other measures to relieve traffic. I've always thought that the 710 should at least be extended north to Mission Road, and that would relieve some of the bottleneck at Valley.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:

im kinda on the same boat with you but the height limit should be spread out a little more. having 30 to 35 storey buildings along the major streets like Hollywood, Santa Monica, Sunset and maybe Melrose, then traveling south to Beverly, and Wilshire, along the lines in height of Condo Canyon, which is 400ft i believe. then the streets in between the major ones, have a height limit of 150ft which would limit buildings to 12 or 13 floors. and have that spread out all over East Hollywood, Hollywood, and Koreatown. This helps defuse some of the anti development in LA, Like New York did with Manhattan, make all the High rise and Urban development in one area of the city, allowing people to choose whether they want to be in an urban environment or suburbia (aka the San Fernando Valley).

Creating an Urban District that basically takes over all of Central LA will solve alot of the the development problems we have now.

Edit: Sorry reading my post after posting it, i realized i just rambled on and just got off topic my apologies.

Last edited by dachacon; May 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Rambling

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
im kinda on the same boat with you but the height limit should be spread out a little more. having 30 to 35 storey buildings along the major streets like Hollywood, Santa Monica, Sunset and maybe Melrose, then traveling south to Beverly, and Wilshire, along the lines in height of Condo Canyon, which is 400ft i believe. then the streets in between the major ones, have a height limit of 150ft which would limit buildings to 12 or 13 floors. and have that spread out all over East Hollywood, Hollywood, and Koreatown. This helps defuse some of the anti development in LA, Like New York did with Manhattan, make all the High rise and Urban development in one area of the city, allowing people to choose whether they want to be in an urban environment or suburbia (aka the San Fernando Valley).

Creating an Urban District that basically takes over all of Central LA will solve alot of the the development problems we have now.

Edit: Sorry reading my post after posting it, i realized i just rambled on and just got off topic my apologies.
Agree. This is just about right. But emphasize Sunset and Hollywood since demand exists there. Wilshire and immediately surrounding as well, subject to preserving the gems along that corridor.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Lawsuits, funding, red tape: all legitimate concerns. Assuming them all away for the moment, to me th big concern is to make this fit with what's already there. It looks like they are making a decent effort to be loosened up modernism and blend with the Capitol Building. This is good since they are part of a community not a one-off showpiece.

The plazas are good since the Boulevard is rather crowded, but they should be limited. This is a good place and good opportunity to avoid Bunker Hill, Century City and LA Live that ended up with too many plazas and metal/glass and lost much sense of an urban community. Hollywood has the potential to have this in spades, and the alley utitlization ordinances are pushing in this direction. There should be non-linearity and quick access from doors (building or parking) into street life or active passageways.

If done right, this area could attract thousands at night and be very active in the day as well. Do it right.
I would argue that the problem with the Bunker Hill plazas is not that there are too many of them, but that there is nothing to activate them. Surround a plaza with retail on all sides, and it will always be lively with pedestrian activity. A good example is the TOD at Wilshire/Vermont.

Hopefully the developers of Capitol Records project will tightly integrate any plazas with retail.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Look at the gap the tunnel would close; it's 4.5 miles. Again, it would take care of through traffic, and by that I mean from drivers who are already coming from points south of the 10 and north of the 210, but anyone in the area in between would still have to drive on surface streets, just like now. I doubt most northern Alhambra and San Gabriel residents wanting to get to Pasadena and Glendale would drive SOUTH to the 10 to access the tunnel to go back north. They would just drive surface streets through San Marino and South Pas to get to Pasadena, just like they already do now.
I actually think the 710 tunnel would be a welcome extension for many of those people. The freeway would be much faster for many Alhambra residents. I would estimate about half would take the 710 tunnel to Pasadena/Glendale, and the other half would still use Fremont. That's a good improvement for me. As for San Gabriel, no one I know from San Gabriel comes through South Pas to get to Pasadena. They use San Gabriel Blvd and Oak Knoll.

Quote:
As a side bar, the 710 tunnel plan also includes a possible Huntington Drive access/exit point, which I don't like at all. Of course that would involve digging and trenching where Huntington Drive would meet the proposed tunnel.
Definitely. No access/exits whatsoever in South Pas.

Quote:
It's possible that they would try to somehow disguise them, but that still doesn't sit well with me: They'd also try to screen these with trees. And of course there'd have to be emergency access passageways.
See but I don't mind that at all, especially if they are out of the way and not interfering with residential areas. Place them along the Gold Line (some kind of faux clock tower/train signal), put them behind retail stores. It can definitely be done.

Quote:
In the end, I think the tunnel is more trouble than it's worth.
I tend to agree with this. I'm just trying to dismiss this ridiculous notion by the NIMBYs in our city that a tunnel would be the worst evil to ever hit our little town. It really wouldn't have any kind of effect at all, besides the positive effect of relieving some congestion during rush hour. I always find it amusing when I ask someone in South Pas why they're so against the tunnel option, and they struggle to come up with a direct or coherent response, such as "Well, just because" or "the 710 extension in any form is bad". It's almost as if they've been brainwashed, and haven't actually thought it through for themselves.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post
I never thought about it like that but I actually agree with you. Also wish this group would buy more land in DTLA and build towers this tall there.
Hollywood does seem to be very pro-growth. I would also like to see a highrise cluster around the Beverly Center but that area along with Miricle Mile has strong NIMBY sentiment. Hopefully that will change with the subway expansion.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I would argue that the problem with the Bunker Hill plazas is not that there are too many of them, but that there is nothing to activate them. Surround a plaza with retail on all sides, and it will always be lively with pedestrian activity. A good example is the TOD at Wilshire/Vermont.

Hopefully the developers of Capitol Records project will tightly integrate any plazas with retail.
Agreed. Plazas are OK if filled with retail and activity. I'm really just saying that the Millenium Hollywood plazas should be filled with retail, outdoor cafes, seating under trees, child play areas, bike racks, whatever, from day 1. Community, not grandeur.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hollywood does seem to be very pro-growth. I would also like to see a highrise cluster around the Beverly Center but that area along with Miricle Mile has strong NIMBY sentiment. Hopefully that will change with the subway expansion.
You're right. Beverly Center is a real problem because it has very nice residential areas abutting heavy traffic and intense commercial activity and demand. Growth here has to be medium-rise and limited in location or it will affect nice neighborhoods. I don't think the subway will change things dramatically but it will help justify medium-rise on the major streets.

Hollywood had the "advantage" of being much more rundown. Only the hardcore crazies were going to argue that you were ruining a neighborhood with new construction; it was already ruined. As long as you stay south of Yucca, there shouldn't be powerful anti-growth forces. But you will get the parasites and their lawyers that figure they can extort some money from developers. But very little principled opposition.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:33 AM

I have never seen so much stupidity on a Curbed LA thread in a very long time. It's so damn annoying:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/0..._neighbors.php

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:50 AM

Circa Back from the Dead?

Remember Circa folks? The project was canceled, and the site sat dormant for YEARS.

Well, something is happening again with fencing going around the perimeter.

I am wondering what it could mean...

Intersection of Virgil/Wilshire in Koreatown

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:28 AM

It's been up for maybe two months now. I'd love to think that something's happening there. Then just up the block, there's fencing around the "condotel" project at 6th and Virgil. Also, at the lot across the street from Wilshire/Vermont. It'd be great to see all three projects under construction at the same time!

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 3:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Refresh us with what Circa looks like?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:27 PM

Here's a pic from Curbed LA

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
You're right. Beverly Center is a real problem because it has very nice residential areas abutting heavy traffic and intense commercial activity and demand. Growth here has to be medium-rise and limited in location or it will affect nice neighborhoods. I don't think the subway will change things dramatically but it will help justify medium-rise on the major streets.

Hollywood had the "advantage" of being much more rundown. Only the hardcore crazies were going to argue that you were ruining a neighborhood with new construction; it was already ruined. As long as you stay south of Yucca, there shouldn't be powerful anti-growth forces. But you will get the parasites and their lawyers that figure they can extort some money from developers. But very little principled opposition.

Same with Koreatown being traditionally ghetto making it more grow growth than more affluent areas like Mirricle Mile. I have stated this before but I have always envisioned the Beverly Center as LA's vcersion Time Square with electronic billboards and a 40-50 story tower where that multi story marking lot south of the Berverly Center were Las Cienega meets Burton Way and another one of two 20 something towers were the Beverly Connection is.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 12:37 AM

Oh, I see. Circa is the old Williams & Dame project. Unless I'm not remembering correctly they either lost or sold that land a few months back and I don't recall hearing about a new project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations