HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 6:01 PM

will the new trains have lower boarding height? climbing up those steep stairs especially with a bike can be painful.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 12:12 AM
Robotic Construction

I asked the Philadelphia forumers about these Hyundai-Rotem Silverliner V's and they told me that these are basically a subway train from NEW York, Chicago or Philadelphia, that has been modernized and beefed up to be FRA-compliant. They have great seating with the 3-2 arrangement and as mentioned, overhead luggage racks. They also have storage bays on the end near the doors for large luggage and bicycles. There will be bicycle racks which people can vertically hang them by their front wheel.

These trains are high platform trains and the train floors are the same level as the platform levels, so there are no steps to go up or down.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I asked the Philadelphia forumers about these Hyundai-Rotem Silverliner V's and they told me that these are basically a subway train from NEW York, Chicago or Philadelphia, that has been modernized and beefed up to be FRA-compliant. They have great seating with the 3-2 arrangement and as mentioned, overhead luggage racks. They also have storage bays on the end near the doors for large luggage and bicycles. There will be bicycle racks which people can vertically hang them by their front wheel.

These trains are high platform trains and the train floors are the same level as the platform levels, so there are no steps to go up or down.
That seems great, then. High platforms definitely feel more urban, like the train is part of the ground itself rather than a separate entity. Also, the fact that the train is reminiscent of subways in NYC and Chicago seems to increase Denver's status. This is real dirty, bulky, bona-fide big city transit, not some knockoff. People from those cities will feel at home.

I'm definitely a fan of this choice now.

When is this line going to be officially under construction?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 3:42 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Yeah, stepping in rather than up is a big deal.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 5:11 PM

Quote:
When is this line going to be officially under construction?
The main construction starts sometime in August, however with work on-going at Union Station and utility work around DIA right now it sorta has already started (I work at DIA btw).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 6:53 PM

Is the DIA hotel project going to go up as part of the new rail terminal or is it considered a separate project with it's own timetable?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
Robotic Construction

It is now all being integrated into one structure. We are currently waiting on Calatrava to complete his design. They asked Calatrava to design the hotel into the terminal, with the hotel being the upper floors and the train station being the lower floors. They also requested he make it as special a design as the Jeppessen Terminal, but without detracting or clashing with the Jeppessen.

So here we wait, the design is sure to impress. Calatrava is not typically boring with his designs. We're talking something truly world class.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 12:18 AM

So looking forward to what he puts out! I really appreciate most of his designs and projects!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:11 PM

Oh btw just a local joke-we sometimes refer to the Jeppsen Terminal as the Hall of Pena...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 4:31 PM

more photos

New here. Fascinating thread and the rest of the forum's interesting as well.

Here's a link to a gallery of photos of the 2010 Hyundai Rotem Silverliner V for Philadelphia. Seems probable that RTD is getting something quite similar to this. The interior shots are particularly interesting.

http://www.philadelphiatransitvehicl...nails-181.html

And here's an image of what I'd really like to see the train to look like. It's Hong Kong's Airport Express Train. A joy to to ride.

http://www.airport-technology.com/pr...ong_kong5.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:06 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ_in_CO View Post
New here. Fascinating thread and the rest of the forum's interesting as well.

Here's a link to a gallery of photos of the 2010 Hyundai Rotem Silverliner V for Philadelphia. Seems probable that RTD is getting something quite similar to this. The interior shots are particularly interesting.

http://www.philadelphiatransitvehicl...nails-181.html

And here's an image of what I'd really like to see the train to look like. It's Hong Kong's Airport Express Train. A joy to to ride.

Is it a coincidence of the photos or is there really no recognizable front of the train besides the direction it's moving? If not I think that should be dealt with somehow even if its just the design of the side logos (no matter what shape the cars are there would be no mistaking what direction the roadrunner trains in NM are facing)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 6:10 PM

^I think they do that so that the train can reverse directions without turning around. I know that the light rail trains can move in the opposite direction without turning around; the driver just exits his booth and walks to the other end of the train, which has another booth.

It would be nice if there was some sort of front to the train purely for aesthetics, but It's likely that the reversibility is intentional.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 6:22 PM
BANNED

even if they need 'reversability'...it sure would be nice to have a slanted front AND back on our trains...they just look so..stale.

maybe there is some hope...most of HRs EMU vehicles have at least some degree of slant on their cab:

http://www.rotem.co.kr/eng/

(sorry, no direct link...but you can probably find your way to the EMU section under railway --> products)

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 3:17 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ_in_CO View Post

That's more along the lines of what Siemens was proposing for the Mountain Air loosing bid. They proposing a sophisticated single-track line with computer controlled double-track passing lines (just as that Hong Kong express line). They proposed trains running on a power source higher than anything outside of what Acela runs on in the NE Corridor, here in the USA. The rolling stock looked very similar to the Hong Kong rolling stock and was proposed to travel at the faster speeds which are just under what is considered to be high speed rail.

However, I do expect custom trains for the Denver airport line. These will be designed for comfort, luggage room and basically for semi-express service between the airport and Union Station. There will be a few other stops, including two very important transfer stations. From what I have read from others, the extra weight needed for FRA-compliance will likely result in a body stripped to it's bones, with flat ends like the Silverliner V.

But what is interesting, is that the EMU trains will never run on shared freight rail tracks. They could have pursued and likely been granted an FRA-waiver and been permitted to use non-FRA compliant trains, which are sleeker, faster and more energy efficient. Unfortunately, from what I have read, this option was never even considered. Early on in the EIS, it was believed that they would be sharing freight rail ROW for most the line and possibly even sharing track with them on a time service split (not operating at the same times on the same tracks). So they eliminated non-FRA compliant trains from any further consideration. Yet as the project and study progressed father, changes were made which should have allowed for the re-consideration of non-FRA compliant vehicle use. It was not, this door was never reopened.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
... Yet as the project and study progressed father, changes were made which should have allowed for the re-consideration of non-FRA compliant vehicle use. It was not, this door was never reopened.
Interesting, that's really too bad that such limitations exist where there's no justification (no sharing of tracks). I'm just concerned that whatever RTD gets will not be state-of-the-art and we'll be stuck with it for the next couple of decades. I'm also thinking of possible extensions into the mountain resorts - which will need speed and power. Oh well, the main test will be how practical this train is going to be for travelers and commuters alike. Availability, speed, convenience and comfort is what counts. Cost-wise I am confident it will compare well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
Robotic Construction

The only thing I can figure, is that the eventual NW Corridor line to Boulder and Longmont will use DMU's instead of the EMU's. This NW corridor north of the Westminster station will share freight rail tracks, but will not run at the same times of day as the freight trains. RTD wants these DMU's to be the same model of train as the EMU's.

However, since even the DMU's on the NW Corridor would have full time separation of service from all freight rail, there is now a precedence for an FRA-compliance waiver being granted -- as which was just done for that HSR line proposed for California. It takes initiative and foresight to push for something like that. I wish they would have requested the non-FRA compliance waiver. had they been granted that waiver, they could have still used FRA-compliant vehicles, if they thought it was best. It simply would have given them more options.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 6:52 PM

My understanding is, commuter rail is heavier than light rail (obviously) so it won't be able to make the same kinds of turns and climbs that other lines did. Is that correct?

I've been following some of the construction on the West Corridor and some of the massive bridges spanning the highways in huge swooping arcs are really quite visually impressive. Imagine how great the views from the trains will be.

The added benefit of those bridges are that there is no need to hold up traffic and the train can keep its path relatively straight because it lifts over roads rather than curving to intersect them at a sufficient angle.

So is the East Corridor going to look more like a standard set of train tracks with lots of railroad crossings? Or is the commuter rail also going to be able to climb from time to time in the same way that the light rail routes do?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:37 PM
giggity giggity goo

Pretty much.

Commuter Rail also runs less frequently compared with Light Rail or Heavy Rail.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:32 PM

How often will the DIA trains run, then? I imagine there would be a pretty high demand for trips from DIA to Downtown so I hope they'll be often enough to be convenient for people.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:06 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Pizutti,

This will answer most of your questions regarding the East Corridor:

http://www.eastcorridor.com/index.shtml

In regards to frequency, plans are for the train to run every 15-min during peak periods.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West