HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:45 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
I'm not sure if a tower would work well at all on the Agricola site. It's a very small lot. I'm pretty interested to see how the new building turns out.

The Trinity proposal sounds great, lets see what gets proposed and how they work the 18 storey tower onto the site.
Obviously I didn't mean a tower at the Agricola site, but its good to see something that isn't faux heritage on that spot, with other renos and developments in the area (ie Fred, Phoencia). If the North-end keeps going the way it is, it will be well integrated with downtown.

With regards to the Bayers Village proposal, its 5 stories on top of the 1-2 story former zellers location?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Obviously I didn't mean a tower at the Agricola site, but its good to see something that isn't faux heritage on that spot, with other renos and developments in the area (ie Fred, Phoencia). If the North-end keeps going the way it is, it will be well integrated with downtown.

With regards to the Bayers Village proposal, its 5 stories on top of the 1-2 story former zellers location?
Believe it to be 5 stories total, including what is present.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

Yeah I'm definetly a fan of the way the North End is moving. Once Cogswell is gone than I think the area could really come to life, especially if the area around Brunswick, Cogswell, Gottingen is handled well. That's one reason I'm interested to see what comes out of the Trinity proposal.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:29 AM

trinity proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
I'm not sure if a tower would work well at all on the Agricola site. It's a very small lot. I'm pretty interested to see how the new building turns out.

The Trinity proposal sounds great, lets see what gets proposed and how they work the 18 storey tower onto the site.

what is the trinity proposal?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:35 AM

trinity proposal

can anyone tell me about the trinity proposal

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
can anyone tell me about the trinity proposal
It has its own thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=145447

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
what is the trinity proposal?

I'm curious
are you speaking about a different tower on Agricola or the trininty tower on Brunswich.

thanks

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 3:43 AM

Quote:
I'm curious
are you speaking about a different tower on Agricola or the trininty tower on Brunswich.

thanks
The Trinity tower is the site on the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell (currently a wooden church behind Staples.) The building they were talking about on Agricola that led to this discussion is not a tower at all. It is a 3 Story (but very interesting design) building on the corner of Agricola street at Willow, across from the liquor store. Its for TIME+SPACE media, some sort of marketing/design firm. They are currently located 2 doors down on the other side of Beeler Locks.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:31 PM

I had a presentation the other day in class from Rob LeBlanc of Ekistics. He was showing us rendering techniques and such, and while he was giving his presentation, he showed us one of the renderings that Ekistics did for the HRM regional plan. I couldn't find it online however to show here, but if u remember seeing the rendering of a possible new TOD development centered around the dartmouth side MacDonald bridge approach. On the north side of the rendering, on the now vacant lot where Frenchys used to be it showes some pretty high density buildings. A number of them being around the 12 or 15 storey mark. Anyway, Rob was saying that he's now working with an architect to come up with a real plan for that area that looks much like that rendering, and that we should see it released fairly soon.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:38 PM
Closed account

Is that the lot beside the Liquor Store? That's been empty for quite a while now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:18 PM

Yes it is. I don't know if the developer owns the entire lot, or maybe other adjacent lots. But I do know something big is in the works for that area.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 5:13 PM

Here's the rendering I was referring to. Sorry about the quality. I had to extract it from a pdf.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 9:10 PM

That plan certainly has some potential. That area definetly needs huge impovements.

I wonder if there is really a need for that much park and open space? The land is directly adjacent to the Sportsplex, Dartmouth Commons, and some smaller parks on Nantucket.

Any idea how many units? It might not be all that dense with so little lot coverage and open space.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 10:36 PM

Looks more like a suburb than I would like. This area is pretty close to downtown, IMHO it should be denser than this.
Not to mention that's where that strip mall with dollarama is right now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 10:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, that's just a conceptual drawing. I doubt that real proposals would look like that.

I agree that the area needs a huge overhaul.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 12:28 AM

I think we DO need all that open space in that part of town. I think the best idea is what is shown, provide high density while preserving and creating greenspace.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 4:17 AM

I'm not a big fan of the way the intersection is addressed, its too open in my opinion. It is just a conceptual rendering though, and i have no idea how many units but he said it would be of a similar density to this rendering.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 10:51 AM

That is the very definition of dreaming in technicolor... about the only things that remain of what is there now are the Holiday inn and Metropolitian Place. The Esso station is gone, the Dartmouth Shopping Center is gone, etc etc. The amount of park space is absurd given that there is already lots of parkland right there east and south of the Sportsplex. Plus the intersection coming off the MacDonald, a huge bottleneck at peak times, is left unfixed or maybe made worse.

Sorry, this is a non-starter. It seems a clasic case of a planner blue-skying without any consideration or context to the realities of the area.

Last edited by Keith P.; Mar 15, 2008 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 4:16 PM
Salty Town

I have seen this rendering before and nothing about it is realistic. This is typical HRM by Design hogwash. The problem with HRM by Design is that all of their concepts take unacceptable artistic license. The premise is....(look how things could look). Well, they might look like that if you can convince 80% of the property owners to give up their property or spent major $$$ to follow their plan. For example, Esso will never give up the station at the bridge. ..it is only 10 years old. Why is this rendering showing a pocket park where the Esso now existis. Who would buy it...tear it down...remediate the site and plant grass?

The plan needs to be challanged because it is fundamentaly flawed from beginning to end...........

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Well, that's just a conceptual drawing. I doubt that real proposals would look like that.

I agree that the area needs a huge overhaul.
Exactly, its a conceptual drawing. The way you guys are talking its like its going to council for approval or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth