HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 9:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's likely they'll have GO buses from Niagara to Hamilton. Perhaps Express buses to Hamilton as well.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 10:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

All-day Go, rapid transit in cards for Hamilton

September 03, 2008
BY ROB FAULKNER
The Hamilton Spectator

A leaked draft plan for spending $55-billion over 25 years to fix Toronto-Hamilton congestion includes all-day GO train service between the cities every 15 minutes, and rapid transit lines here.

But a Metrolinx blueprint, a copy of which was viewed by The Globe and Mail, is not the most current version of a regional transportation plan scheduled for official release by September 26, the agency says.

“Based on some of their facts and figures, it does not reflect the current state of play of where we are at,” said Metrolinx chair Rob MacIsaac, former Burlington mayor. “What we are working with, even today, is a draft draft.”

The Globe described a plan that calls for spending billions on new subway and light-rail lines, improved commuter rail, express buses and expanded roads.

Declining to compare the leaked plan to the latest draft, MacIsaac said Hamilton will fare well.

“I’ve been saying all along that all-day, two-way frequent service on all GO lines is something I believe in, and it will be reflected in the plan,” he said.

“Metrolinx is quite supportive of rapid transit in Hamilton and looks forward to working with Hamilton to turn that into a reality.”

A Metrolinx update will be given to board members at a King City retreat this weekend. Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger said he has not seen the plan, and thinks the Globe saw a previous version.

“But it’s consistent with what we have talked about (at the City of Hamilton). As you know, we already talked about bringing additional GO service to LIUNA Station, and are currently looking at bus or rail system for Hamilton.”

City staff are trying to land approval and cash for what may become a $1.1 billion light rail system.

Hamilton wants its light rail in the first five-year Metrolinx budget for 2009-13. Hamilton is considering a rail route westbound on King and eastbound on Main, and up James from the waterfront to the airport via the Claremont Access.

Eisenberger was reached for an interview yesterday during a tour of the new 15-kilometer Lynx light rail system in Charlotte, N.C.”

“As I stand here... in their light rail corridor, I see nothing but cranes,” he said, before heading to Portland and Calgary on the light-rail tour. “I think transformational is the right word.”

Eisenberger said the cost to the city of such a plan is unclear. MacIsaac said it’s unlikely cities will pay for new capital projects.

Reports described a system in which most of the $55 billion would be spent over 15 years with many of the new transit lines already mentioned in the province’s MoveOntario 2020 plan, an earlier announcement by the province that committed $11.5 billion of a $17.5 billion project list.

Hamilton rapid transit was noted in the MoveOntario 2020 project list, but the city awaits details on timing and funding. Metrolinx is intended to work out the details, timelines and implementation of the MoveOntario plan.

Even a mention of all-day trains and rapid transit raised hopes.

“It’s positive for Hamilton,” city councillor Brian McHattie said. “We seem to be in lock-step with Metrolinx in regards to their vision and our vision (unlike Toronto). We are a smaller city with a long history of transit, and they see some easy ways to invest here.”

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Is the second GO station near the old James Street station in the pipeline yet or is it a maybe still?

And can someone please remind me why the GO rail link from the Hunter Street station is only peak hours only, I think I read that it was purely lack of demand for the service, but I can't find where I thought I'd read that.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:57 PM
Closed account

^^ the reason why there's so little service to the TH&B Stn (James S & Hunter) is b/c the lines run underground between McNab & Queen St and it's really expensive to widen that tunnel to fit more tracks for more trains.
The main use for this line (forget whether it's CN or CP's) is for freight which causes railway congestion.

What GO has been doing is expanding the over-night train storage area (near Walnut/Hunter) so more trains can leave in the morning (I think they're adding 2 per morning?).

I think the James North GO Stn is for sure? I believe it should be complete sometime next year?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 11:13 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Ah, so the freight use in "off peak" hours prevents them using the lines for commuter trains?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
I think the James North GO Stn is for sure? I believe it should be complete sometime next year?
If it's going to be complete so fast the new station isn't going to be that impressive is it? :-(

Shame they can't make use of part of the old building still, but hey ho.

Definitely at James North? I thought there was some debate about it being somewhere further east?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 11:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Money has been set a side for a new GO Train terminal at James St North, $3 million.

But GO Trainsit is currently busy with the Hunter terminal, adding new platforms and storage space. Once they are done with that they'll focus on the James St North terminal.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
If it's going to be complete so fast the new station isn't going to be that impressive is it? :-(

Shame they can't make use of part of the old building still, but hey ho.

Definitely at James North? I thought there was some debate about it being somewhere further east?
It's not going to be a Station but rather just a platform. Pretty standard commuter rail platform: a long rectangular slab of concrete with a couple shelters.

Something along the lines of this:

by rhygin on Flickr.com, http://flickr.com/photos/rhygin/218176727/

or this:

by Ryan Coleman on Flickr.com, http://flickr.com/photos/rycoleman/838461856/

There is plans to eventually expand eastward towards Niagara via Hamilton's East End & Stoney Creek, but that's a long-(long)-term project.

I bet once Metrolinx approves funding for the A-Line, the City will come up with a better station, or perhaps even use part of LIUNA Station, as a terminal for both A-Lines & GO Lakeshore West lines.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 8:31 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Are the original platforms still there or were they demolished?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 2:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
^^ the reason why there's so little service to the TH&B Stn (James S & Hunter) is b/c the lines run underground between McNab & Queen St and it's really expensive to widen that tunnel to fit more tracks for more trains.
it was also very expensive to blast off a hunk of escarpment for a highway. it's about priorites, not money.

As for the new 'platform' at James North, let's hope they at least put up overhead shelters. Geez, I can't believe those pics of GO platforms with no covering.

whatever they are building at Hunter right now is larger than I expected. In the Walnut area you can see it taking shape. It's a big building. I guess it has to fit trains in it which makes sense for the size, I just wasn't thinking of it when construction started.
Nice to see investment in our rail system.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 3:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
it was also very expensive to blast off a hunk of escarpment for a highway. it's about priorites, not money.
And structural issues too no doubt. One must be very careful when blasting the rock. Look how many problems there has been with the rock sides on the side of the mountain and the retaining wall falling not long ago at the top near the circle.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 10:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Are the original platforms still there or were they demolished?
Hmm, I don't think they're still around at all.
This is LIUNA Station (James North GO)'s sat view:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...06158&t=h&z=18

I'm not old enough to remember any rail activity in this area, so I don't even know where the original platforms would have been? I'm assuming infront of the rectangular bldg jetting out from behind the Station. That, to me, seems to be where the old passengers loaded onto/out of trains.

I'm betting the City and GO will convert the land between James & McNab into parking, and probably not even build a pavillion. If VIA confirms using this platform, a small pavillion may be built ontop of the hill (where the cars are parked west of James).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 2:31 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming infront of the rectangular bldg jetting out from behind the Station. That, to me, seems to be where the old passengers loaded onto/out of trains.
I'm not old enough to remember either, but I bet that rectangular extension ran over the train platforms, which would have been sidings off the South of the main line. That would explain the expanse of empty land on the East and West of James at track level

I agree about the future station design. For $3m, including siding, they probably won't build much more than a staircase and platform. I wonder how much effort they'll put into parking. The lot is only a tenth the size of Aldershot, and road access is more limited.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
I agree about the future station design. For $3m, including siding, they probably won't build much more than a staircase and platform. I wonder how much effort they'll put into parking. The lot is only a tenth the size of Aldershot, and road access is more limited.
I also wonder how people are going to get there if it becomes an important destination for commuters - I'm not sure whether James N can handle a large influx of commuter traffic, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
I also wonder how people are going to get there if it becomes an important destination for commuters - I'm not sure whether James N can handle a large influx of commuter traffic, but I could be wrong.
They may

a) attempt to get some sort of access and throughput using the old station building if that's even still possible.

b) justify the building of a bigger and better new station in the James N area.

c) justify building a bigger and betetr station somewhere else in Hamilton along the line, perhaps the further east station that was mentioned I think at one point.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:33 PM

Quote:
The commuter trains (rush hour) will still be using GO Centre.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:36 PM

As a FYI, last week was the first week of GO using 12 packs (12 cars vs. 10 cars) on the 7:04am train to Union.

At Hamilton GO Centre you have to access the end cars through the interior car connecting doors.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

From what I gather is sounds like the city wants to build a parking garage at James St North.

It'll be the same deal with the parking garage for Education Square, city collects parking money to pay for the parking garage.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Well it (James North GO) would probably be the terminal station for the A-Line LRT route. So that's one option. Park anywhere along the line (Mountain Plaza Mall or any huge lot along Upper James), zip down to your GO on the LRT. Free parking.

Quote:
c) justify building a bigger and betetr station somewhere else in Hamilton along the line, perhaps the further east station that was mentioned I think at one point.
I thought there was discussion of building a platform at the Centre (Mall), but that could have just been rumour.
I can't see them building a station at all between Hamilton and Niagara. GO pretty much only builds platforms with a ticket booth or Automated Ticket Vendor.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
I can't see them building a station at all between Hamilton and Niagara. GO pretty much only builds platforms with a ticket booth or Automated Ticket Vendor.
I thought it was further east in Stoney Creek?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure