HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:39 PM

Sanatorium

Sanatorium Rd east of Garth is pretty 3rd world. I invite anyone to give it a go.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerton View Post
Sanatorium Rd east of Garth is pretty 3rd world. I invite anyone to give it a go.
I didn't even know it ran east of Garth! (apparently neither does the City lol)

Weird.. it looks like it was a continuation of the original Mohawk Rd? I wonder if this is actually the case? I'll have to check out my old maps when I get home tn!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
I didn't even know it ran east of Garth! (apparently neither does the City lol)

Weird.. it looks like it was a continuation of the original Mohawk Rd? I wonder if this is actually the case? I'll have to check out my old maps when I get home tn!
That diversion existed as early as 1939 and possibly earlier. Until pretty recently, there would have been a Y intersection so you could access both roads. The maps in the 30s and 40s list Garth St as West 20th St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
How is it our local streets are ignored over Highways?
That isn't the case. Hamilton ignores all roads equally.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 1:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Linc this morning was nice with no bumps.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The Linc this morning was nice with no bumps.
Westbound lanes at least, to just before Golf Links--still a few rough spots around the 403...think the eastbound lanes are being paved this coming weekend...it certainly is nice!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 6:50 PM

Downtown Arterials Road Resurfacing 2011:

Barton Street West - Bay to James
Main Street East – MacNab to John
James Street South – Charlton to Beckley
John Street South – St. Joseph’s Drive to Young
Markland Street – Bay to James

Starting next month.

The James Street street car tracks are starting to show through again around Bold and Duke.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 7:47 PM

Where's Beckley?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Where's Beckley?
Behind the GO Centre. John to Hughson.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:36 AM

It looks as though today's Beckley Street is just the driveway serving the parking garage at the Chateau Royale.

Accessible from James Street only, with no addresses, maybe that's why google is agnostic on it. Streetview did capture the signpost, though, on the right-hand side of the frame .

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Roundabout at Longwood and Aberdeen: What do you think?

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...t-do-you-think

The city wants the west end to go round and round.

Staff are conducting an environmental assessment of the long-term needs of a busy segment of Longwood Road and one of the preferred options is a traffic roundabout at Longwood and Aberdeen Avenue.

The study is looking to solve traffic congestion issues in the area as well as provide safer access for pedestrians and cyclists coming through the developing district around McMaster Innovation Park.

In a 2006 traffic management plan for the area, the city recommended a four-lane cross-section for the road, bicycle lanes and sidewalks on both sides, and a three-lane cross-section for the Longwood Bridge over Highway 403.

It also proposed the roundabout, but the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) did not support the idea. The MTO has since come on board after city staff used micro-simulations of the traffic design to show a circle would work, said Lorissa Skrypniak, senior project manager of transportation planning.

“People are leery (about roundabouts) because it’s a learning process, but (it’s about) just getting the education out there that they are a good thing to have,” Skrypniak said.

“It’s not necessarily faster, but it keeps the traffic moving. If you go there today during rush hour, it’s quite backed-up to make the left turn onto Longwood. So this is to help alleviate that.”

The study area of Longwood stretches from Main Street West to Aberdeen.

While the city is also considering a conventional intersection at the site, the roundabout is preferred, Skrypniak said.

Councillor Brian McHattie said he has mixed feelings about the proposed traffic design. “I think it’s fairly good for cars — perhaps not as good for pedestrians or cyclists, which I tend to emphasize over cars,” he said. “I’m not 100 per cent sold on it.”

McHattie said he likes the idea from an environmental perspective because it would mean cars idle less, cutting down on air pollution, but he wants more answers regarding how pedestrians would cross safely.

The other benefit would be relieving the high volume of traffic at the intersection, he said, noting cars turning into Westdale from Aberdeen are stalled by vehicles going onto the 403.

Mary Lou Reiman, vice-president of the Kirkendall Neighbourhood Association, said the group plans to send a representative to the public information centre and is adding the issue to its agenda.

“I think the feelings in our brief discussion were mixed,” she said. “Some people were thinking a roundabout might not be bad idea; others were thinking (there may be) dangers.”

There are six “modern roundabouts” that have been built in Hamilton since 2002 and 35 circles on residential roadways built prior to them, said Ron Gallo, the city’s senior project manager of signals and system.

The modern roundabouts must fall into specific design requirements and give the right of way to drivers in the roundabout, Gallo said. Older circles gave the right of way to those entering the roundabouts, which has caused congestion, he noted.

Current roundabouts are built with the deflection of the road entering the roundabout in mind as well as the alignment of the entering roadway, Gallo said.

“Initially, what we find is that residents who are not familiar with roundabouts tend to be concerned about how safe they are,” he said. “After they’re constructed … they realize that they work much safer.”

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:23 PM

Ontario’s Driver and Vehicle Licence Fees Going Up (Canadian Press/Hamilton Spectator, Mar 13, 2012)

"Millions of Ontario motorists will share the pain of eliminating the province’s massive deficit by paying more in driving and licence fees.

The governing Liberals are hiking the costs of driving, increasing fees for new driver’s licences and renewals to $80 from $75 starting next year.

Getting a vehicle licence validation sticker in southern Ontario, which currently costs $74, will go up to $82 next year and hit $98 in 2014....

Transportation Minister Bob Chiarelli said the measures will bring in $340 million a year by 2014-15, which will help maintain Ontario’s roads and bridges."

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Roundabout at Longwood and Aberdeen: What do you think?
I'd be all for it. I like the way they keep traffic moving and I have faith that McHattie will make sure it works for pedestrians and cyclists.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 6:55 PM

I share your faith that Councilor McHattie will try to ensure that pedestrians and cyclists are accommodated, in addition to vehicular traffic.

But he may be fighting an uphill battle here, considering the City's current advice to pedestrians who may encounter a roundabout:

Quote:
Instructions for a Pedestrian at a Roundabout:

> Pay attention. Think. Be prepared to make decisions.

> Step up to the curb and make eye contact with drivers so they know you intend to cross.

> Keep watching all the way across as you cross a multi-lane roundabout, watch for a driver coming in the next lane. Make sure that the driver sees you.

> Look and listen for a safe gap in the traffic flow before crossing. Do not start to cross if a vehicle is so close that the driver can not safely yield the crosswalk to you, or if a driver shows by the way that they are driving that they do not intend to stop for you.

> Use the sidewalks and crosswalks around the outside of the roundabout. Do not cut across the middle of the roundabout.

> Use the splitter island. This will let you cross one direction of traffic at a time. Wait on the splitter island if needed.

> The appropriate gap in traffic is something that you can create by your behaviour, not just something that will eventually occur if you wait long enough. Most drivers slow down as soon as they see a pedestrian at a roundabout crosswalk. Whether they then yield the crosswalk to you by slowing or stopping will depend mostly on your body language. There is enough sight distance at the roundabout for the driver to see you and slow or stop. Drivers are more likely to yield the crosswalk to you if your body language shows that you intend to cross. Use the following assertive body language to clearly tell drivers that you intend to cross:

> Come up to the crosswalk briskly and deliberately – this also shows that you will not make drivers wait a long time for you to cross;

> Scan for a gap in traffic as you come up to the crosswalk;

> Look at the drivers;

> If you have to wait, step up to the curb or even stand with one foot into the crosswalk;

> Start to cross as soon as you are sure that the driver intends to slow or stop to yield the crosswalk to you.

Drivers are more likely to NOT yield the crosswalk to you if your body language shows that you are willing or expecting to wait for a very long gap in traffic before crossing. The driver will assume that you are not ready to cross or do not intend to cross. Passive body language that tells drivers that you are willing to wait may include:

- Slowly ambling up to the crosswalk;
- Not looking at drivers;
- Standing on the sidewalk back from the curb;
- Standing with your hands on your hips;
- Setting down your grocery bags;
- Playing with your cell phone or music player;
- If you are jogging up to the intersection, beginning muscle stretches to fill in the time;
- Not taking advantage of an appropriate gap in traffic to make your crossing;
- Waving drivers on; and
- Hesitating and not starting to cross even when a vehicle is slowing to yield the crosswalk to you.

(I didn't make this up. It's straight from the hamilton.ca website.)

The recommended procedures aren't really all that different from those suggested to hikers who might encounter a black bear.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:08 AM

Roundabouts are designed to optimize traffic flow for moving vehicles. Placing one at this intersection will do nothing to improve the current pedestrian experience here.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Roundabouts are designed to optimize traffic flow for moving vehicles. Placing one at this intersection will do nothing to improve the current pedestrian experience here.
i once had to write a presentation comparing the accident rate between vehicles and pedestrians at both signalized intersections and roundabouts for a public information centre for the Region of Waterloo. The collision data compiled in Waterloo showed that there were fewer collisions per intersection at roundabouts compared to traffic signals.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 11:36 AM

Exactly. Roundabouts by their nature allow better flow of motor vehicle traffic, thus fewer collisions between motor vehicles. So, from a moving vehicle point of view, they are an improvement. However, by their very design, they encourage constant motor vehicle traffic flow and discourage pedestrian interaction. Roundabouts are great where there is significant motor vehicle traffic with minimal pedestrian interaction such as intersections of suburban access routes. I just question if this is the kind of road infrastructure we would want at this particular intersection.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 1:10 PM

I'm not sure this intersection would be that big of a deal for pedestrians. If you are coming from Kirkendall and want to walk to MIP and you started south of Aberdeen, you'd likely just cross where the crosswalk is on Aberdeen I think at Chedoke Street. And if you are already on the north side of Aberdeen you wouldn't need to cross Longwood anyway, you'd just keep right onto the sidewalk on Longwood. The only destination that is tricky is the Careport building/automotive research facility. If you are going to walk from Aberdeen to Longwood to Main you can cross at the crosswalk right outside MIP anyway. Plus, I assume there will eventually be a crossing at Frid Street too? I don't see this intersection impacting pedestrians much except for those walking to work or an event at Careport from Aberdeen.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:11 PM

they should put an exit from the Careport center directly onto Aberdeen westbound allowing easy access to the 403 ramp...currently there is a railway crossing from the center across aberdeen...this could easily be converted.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 2:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:36 PM

With warmer weather, the inevitable.

Queen Street hill to be closed for five months
(Hamilton Spectator, Mark Newman, Apr 5 2013)

The 20,000 drivers who use the Queen Street hill to get up and down the Mountain each weekday will have to find an alternate route for about five months.

The route, also known as Beckett Drive, will be closed between Glenfern Avenue (south of Aberdeen where Queen Street ends) to Fennell Avenue at the top of the hill for road, sewer and retaining wall repairs between May and September.

“There are a lot of drainage issues we need to deal with,” said Susan Jacobs, manager of the design section in the city’s public works department.

Jacob said the city wants to get the work done before September, when the new school year begins at Mohawk College and Hillfield-Strathallan College.

The $3.7-million project is among more than a dozen projects slated for the Mountain this year as part of the city’s approximately $100-million road and sewer work plan.

SELECT MOUNTAIN CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS

Fessenden Neighbourhood Plan (Phase 2): The plan to control area flooding includes a stormwater pond added to the east side of the Sir Allan MacNab high school property. Road, sidewalk and sewer work is also slated for nearby Lynwood Drive, part of Appleford Road, Forestgate Drive and Daisy Street. Work is expected to run May to December. The cost is $5 million, including work done last year.

Mountain Park Avenue (Upper Sherman to Concession Street): This includes road, sewer and sidewalk work along Upper Sherman between Mountain Park Avenue and Concession Street, replacing the bridge over the Sherman Cut and road and sewer work along Mountain Park from Upper Sherman to Concession. Work on Upper Sherman will be from about mid-May to mid-July. The rest of the work will continue through to November.

The bridge expected to be closed from about mid-July to November. The total cost is about $5.6 million.

Sanatorium Road (Redfern Avenue to Chedmac Drive): Sewer and sidewalk work slated from the end of April to September. The intersection of Sanatorium and Redfern will be closed between April 29 and May 12. Access to area parking and Chedoke Hospital will be via a hospital road off of Chedmac.

Broker Drive (Upper Ottawa to Upper Kenilworth): Road, sewer, sidewalk and water-main work will be done starting anytime and continuing through the end of August. The cost is $2.9 million.

Queensdale Avenue (Upper Wentworth to Upper Sherman): Road reconstruction along with new cubs and sidewalks. June to October. The cost is $2.3 million.

Upper Paradise (Stone Church Road to Mohawk): Shave-and-pave road resurfacing, July and August. The cost is $1.2 million.

Inch Park Neighbourhood: Shave-and-pave road resurfacing and curb and sidewalk repairs on Upper Wentworth (Queensdale to Concession), Upper Wentworth (Concession to Mountain Park), East 13th (Mountville to Concession), East 16th (Inverness to Concession), East 17th (Queensdale to Concession), East 19th (Queensdale to Concession), Mountville (East 14th to East 18th), June through August. The cost is $1.7 million.

Twenty Road (Dartnall to Glover): Road and sewer work, including the addition of a centre turn lane, mid-May to December. Project may continue into 2014. Work on the Dartnall Road extension south of Rymal Road to Twenty could also begin this year. The cost is $5 million.

Valve Replacement: Large 60- to 70-year-old water-main valves will be replaced at Fennell and Upper James, Garth and Fennell, and Garth and Galt starting in early July and continuing to August. Each replacement takes about three weeks. Fennell and Upper James will be done first. The streets will remain open during the work but traffic will likely be restricted. The cost is $500,000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure