HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:14 AM

It is fun to watch liberals on this forum grasping at straws that everything is ok for Democrats despite contrary evidence displayed in recent census data. Those who produce are moving from heavy tax burden, union controlled, over regulated northern states and heading to states where those problems are not nearly as prevalent.

Northern states are going to be left with nothing but the recipient class due to economically punishing liberal policies. Good luck.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Sure you can change your word, I misspoke. I know what I mean in my own mind and that's really all that matters at the end of the day. I know what I'm speaking here, I could write an entire book on it all...with a lot of facts.
If you mis speak then you admit that you simply used the wrong word and replace it with another more accurate one. You don't attempt to change the meaning of the word you originally used...

Oh and by the way, what you "mean" doesn't mean shit at the end of the day if you are trying to communicate with people. Communication is not about the thought in your head, its about the thought that comes out of your mouth...

Quote:
Large yards, cookie-cutter like construction, skewed and dubbed down architectural elements. I've been around them quite a lot as well, I can see a resmblance.
Nope, Nope, Nope, try again. Large yards in the 1800's were extremely rare unless you count a 100 acre farm as a yard and entire counties full of farms as small towns. Cookie cutter construction did not exist in small towns since nearly every building was built by hand to the preference and specification of the owner. Remember, mass production did not exist until the 1900's and having repetitive designs was generally frowned upon until then. And again, the architecture in small towns was actually quite vibrant, maybe the design of farm houses was plain because farmers didn't care to make the extra expense, but when it came to townfolk, they dolled their houses up pretty well.

For example, I grew up in Cedarburg, WI. It is a nearly perfectly preserved small town that was founded in the 1830's and built primarily between 1850 and 1900. Here is a plat map of the lots in 1892, see how small the lots are in the actual town? Those big lots all around are entire farms. The houses in the town nearly touch at the lots lines, just like they do in downtown Chicago. All the hashed in areas are where the buildings are so close together and the lots are so small that they couldn't be shown in detail on this map.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wi....Cedarburg.jpg
ancestry.com

Here are the details of the hashed in area:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wi....CdbgcityN.jpg
ancestry.com

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wi....CdbgcityS.jpg
ancestry.com

Notice how the town is laid out in square blocks whenever possible just like the major cities (COUGH CHICAGO COUGH) that were developing at the time.

Here is a picture of main street. Notice how all of the buildings come right up to the street and directly abut each other. Show me one suburb that has this. Also notice the extremely different architectural styles on each building:

cedarburg.wi.us

cedarburg.wi.us

cedarbur.wi.us

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:31 AM

Well I've been through towns from that period that I could describe as a predecessor to the modern suburbs…not all, but some. I certainly think modern suburbia has roots in small town America.

Honestly though, I'm not going to read an entire book on the subject just to talk about it. I know you might have good points, but your definitely not 100% right. The truth is generally in the middle somewhere.

I am reading a lot of books, not on this. I guess I'm going have to get one on the history of suburbs next because clearly I'm wrong about it all.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280;5102663[QUOTE
]If you mis speak then you admit that you simply used the wrong word and replace it with another more accurate one. You don't attempt to change the meaning of the word you originally used...
Yes sir...

Quote:
Oh and by the way, what you "mean" doesn't mean shit at the end of the day if you are trying to communicate with people. Communication is not about the thought in your head, its about the thought that comes out of your mouth...
Actually no, many great minds have failed to communicate their ideas but were still right. It's not everyone's strong suit.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:44 AM

^ This is turning into performance art.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:56 AM
them bones

The next post in this thread:

'Did I just fart?'

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 2:11 AM

I don't know if anyone saw this, by USAtoday has a map projecting house seats and population for 2020 and 2030.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ss-graphic.htm

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 2:55 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungerdog View Post
It is fun to watch liberals on this forum grasping at straws that everything is ok for Democrats despite contrary evidence displayed in recent census data. Those who produce are moving from heavy tax burden, union controlled, over regulated northern states and heading to states where those problems are not nearly as prevalent.

Northern states are going to be left with nothing but the recipient class due to economically punishing liberal policies. Good luck.
Who is grasping at straws? The only state that actually lost population is Michigan and the northeast and midwest are experiencing expected trends. Also even though growth in Illinois was less in 2010 than in 2000 it still did better than it did in 1980 or 1990 (virtually zero growth) and growth in the US as a whole was less in 2010 than 2000 so it shouldn't be a shock that states like Illinois reflect that.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 2:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I don't know if anyone saw this, by USAtoday has a map projecting house seats and population for 2020 and 2030.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ss-graphic.htm
^interesting, but yet another classic case of extrapolating current trends far into the future.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 4:07 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^interesting, but yet another classic case of extrapolating current trends far into the future.
Florida growing by 10 million people in the next 20 years? Cute.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 4:38 AM

It should be noted, that the Northeast region is less than one-tenth of the continental US's land area, compared with the South and West being one-third and the Midwest being about one quarter (according to the census definitions). The Northeast saw an increase of almost two-million people in an area smaller than California and already had upwards of 50 million people! (and that's not even including Washington/Baltimore) The only areas that come close to that population density and saw growth in the millions are California and Texas, and they're on the Mexican border.

While slow population growth can be a sign of a slow economy, that doesn't seem so likely in the Northeast, which has seen steady economic growth in the past 20 years (albeit, mostly along the coast). In the Northeast, the density itself leads to quality of life issues that cause people, such as retirees, to leave and others to limit family growth, such as congestion and high property values and cost of living. The Northeast has a population density now that is similar to much of Europe (where even prosperous areas have slow population growth), and that has led to high housing costs and, consequently, regulations that can limit population growth for the sake of quality of life, such as limits on suburban development. Also, people in the Northeast are less likely to get married and have kids than in more traditional areas, such as the South. So, the slower growth of the Northeast is more likely linked to the quality of life issues caused by crowding as well as social norms, than by economic slowness.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 4:55 AM
Honored Member

How many baby boomers are going to be left in 2030?? Nearly 1 in 4 residents of Florida are over the age of 60 right now. That means that about 4.5 million people who currently reside in Florida will likely be dead by 2030, and considering that the largest share of the Baby Boomers are hitting the retirement age this decade, my guess is that by 2020, Florida will likely see its population plateau, with more people dying off than coming in to replace them. While I can see 23 million people by 2020, I highly doubt Florida will add 5 million people between 2020 and 2030. I see the state's population hitting something in the range of 25 million before stagnating or even declining.

Another thing I find interesting is that they have Michigan recovering (adding nearly 815,000 people between 2010 and 2020), but then somehow the state falls off the cliff again come 2030.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 5:00 AM

I'd like to see updated state-by-state fertility rates and "natural increase" rates before trying to make any predictions about the demographic future.

Also, does anyone happen to know the release dates for "island areas" population estimates? DC and Puerto Rico's population estimates have been released, but Guam and the others remain part of some separate report. The Census spent a lot of effort collecting surveys from outlying areas of the Marianas, for instance, and it seems odd that those numbers are being held back for now.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 6:24 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

tablemtn, it will be released some time early next year for Guam, CNMI, American Samoa & USVI. I'm interested in seeing the numbers for the Northern Marianas especially since they've lost a lot of their foreign-born population over the past decade with the decline in the garment industry. The foreign-born population there was at 58% in 2000!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 6:50 AM

Was happy to see that Louisiana grew over the decade. After losing 6% of the population in 2005, was sure the state would see a decline in population with this census.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 7:42 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskyfan View Post
^ This is turning into performance art.
Bingo. The sad thing is that it seems to be unintentional performance art rooted in a mind-numbingly high level of willful ignorance. It was funny a page or two back, now it's just trolling. Just making up sh%t isn't going to cut it, here. I'm embarrassed this guy claims he's from my state. I still have my doubts. It's like he thinks that if he just says enough, eventually it'll all be true. He's a perfect example of persistence not always being a virtue.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 8:51 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

What the hell happened to this thread? Train wreck!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
Honored Member

Are you really surprised a thread discussing the populations of various entities would take such a turn?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
BANNED

Just wait until we start discussing the new city and metro population counts.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 12:42 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The reaction has nothing to do with the subject matter, and everything to do with one particular poster who has displayed himself to be completely disconnected from reality, and then when met with said reality, both unwilling and unable to engage anyone in this thread in any kind of sensible way. Not sure if anyone noticed, but the thread was going relatively well and was quite informative until Onn unwittingly ambled his way in with his nonesense BSing. This is exactly the kind of stuff that degrades the quality of these forums, and why this place is becoming less enjoyable than it used to be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions