HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:14 PM
Registered Drug User

Fun match. They outplayed Belgium, who were miserable. But they're still the second-ranked team in the world, and all a side like that needs is a small opening to capitalize on.

I'm used to supporting England and the Netherlands at the World Cup, so this feeling of having skin in the game is very new. It's actually a bit stressful!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:18 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Fun match. They outplayed Belgium, who were miserable. But they're still the second-ranked team in the world, and all a side like that needs is a small opening to capitalize on.

I'm used to supporting England and the Netherlands at the World Cup, so this feeling of having skin in the game is very new. It's actually a bit stressful!
Yeah you could tell that the experience of the Belgians won the match. That said, it could have gone much differently.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:22 PM
Community Guy

Canada came out firing, but man o man, hit the net and finish something. Nerves, inexperience, a Belgium team shutting them down.

Disappointed that they did not try to put something together in the last 15 seconds.

A bunch of amateur errors as well, but you can't not be pleased with the effort.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:24 PM

Outstanding effort by Canada. I don't know how anyone can be disappointed by a performance like that.

Agree with cold though, it was frustrating to see CAN control the ball so well in the opponent's end and fail to get a shot off so many times. BEL's defense was able to weather the storm in that regard.

Still, I think it's fair to say they did us proud.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:45 PM

The Krauts losing to Japan has to be one of the biggest jokes ever.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 10:55 PM

Let this be a lesson for Canada. Possession and outstanding effort don’t mean squat if you can’t score a goal. We need to finish with the ball in the net.

Yes, Belgium was mediocre at best, but their defending was spot on, and at the end of the day, they got the job done. Every time a Canada player wanted to shoot, there was a Belgian defender right there to block it.

We need a result in the next two games. We have a chance. But a repeat of this performance isn’t enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
The Krauts losing to Japan has to be one of the biggest jokes ever.
Nahh. Saudi beating Messi was a bigger upset.

And watching Spain dance around CR was fun. 7 goals. They scored 8 total in 2010 to win the Cup.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 11:41 PM

Canada can definitely beat Croatia and Morocco. This performance made me a believer out of them. Belgium were definitely on the back foot a good chunk of the game. A fair result IMO from my eyes would have been 1-1 and I would stand by it even as a neutral.

I swear that team Belgian has the luckiest horseshoes up their asses grinding out wins against attacking teams in major tournaments one after another, never liked them much and would be more than happy to see this "Golden Generation" go out without a major title trophy. With that said I am full on Belgian when they play Morocco and Croatia as if those two teams pick up Ls Canada has control of their destiny to the next stage even if they only win one of their next two games and draw the other.

Also Japan beating Germany isn't much of a shocker, they lost to Mexico and Korea last go around. SA against Argentina on the other hand is the biggest upset possibly in WC history...

And all I'll say about Costa Rica is, well, some team has to be the runt of the WC and it seems like they are squarely on target for it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:21 AM

Is it just me or was that Chris Hadfield next to John Herdman during the singing of the national anthem?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:30 AM
Community Guy

Many on the team also sang the old rendition of the anthem...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
When England played on Monday at least one England player seemed to sing 'god save the queen' instead of 'king'. Mason Mount was the most noticeable. It must be a hard habit to break.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
What is the old rendition? "Sons" instead of "us"?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:57 AM
Community Guy

Correct.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Is it just me or was that Chris Hadfield next to John Herdman during the singing of the national anthem?
I would say Herdman's pre game speech was telling Hadfield's life story. He willed himself to be an astronaut from childhood, took every step necessary so he could not be denied. His interview to be a Canadian astronaut was laughable (as in foregone conclusion) Top Pilot USAF, Top Pilot USN etc

The Kid and the Spaceman
Space for Four

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 3:27 PM
arf

We didn't finish and the marking was spot on by Belgium on defense, but we played well and looked like we deserved to be on the pitch. A different day playing that well could very well be a different result.

Belgium played as some have said, they are an older, fading squad. Still plenty of experience and talent, but they aren't an insurmountable number two.

Spain on the other hand looked like they could do whatever they wanted all day against Costa Rica if you want to compare good marking by defenders and poor marking by defenders.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 5:00 PM
I am the law!

A win is still a win. They weren't expected to win this one though. Nerves got the best of them in finishing and that may stick around until they do break the ice. Everyone needs to watch out after that happens.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Serie A's Bologna FC (also owned by CF Montreal's Joey Saputo) is reportedly looking at CFM's Alistair Johnston for a January or summer transfer.

Last edited by elly63; Nov 25, 2022 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:18 AM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:37 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

Spain on the other hand looked like they could do whatever they wanted all day against Costa Rica if you want to compare good marking by defenders and poor marking by defenders.
That was brutal.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Hearing there are some rumblings in the locker room about Alphonso Davies often playing like he is a one-man-team and wants to do it all himself. I mean, he is the best player on the team, but still...

Also, Serbia are pissed at the Canadian coach saying "we're gonna fuck them up", in anticipation of the game on the weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada