HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I think it's a bit unfair to compare historical team Canada matches being held in Toronto. We have never fielded a team this competitive in our nation's history and the stakes have not been higher in my lifetime. There is a smattering of tickets still available for the October 13th game but they will all be sold before the day of I would imagine. So if selling every available ticket for an event is not a measurement of support I am not sure what is. Either way, I will gladly take my chances with October Toronto weather. I'm dreading a November blizzard in Edmonton that will remove any skill advantage we might have over the opposing team.
This. There was never a demand to watch CMNT because until now, they wee awful and didn't stand a chance of winning anything. There's actually a lot of hype and support around them right now so selling tickets is much easier

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
This. There was never a demand to watch CMNT because until now, they wee awful and didn't stand a chance of winning anything. There's actually a lot of hype and support around them right now so selling tickets is much easier
Except other cities like Vancouver and Edmonton still supported them better when they were "awful". There's quite a few of us long time supporters who get a little ruffled when people say there wasn't a team to cheer for, in sickness and in health and all that.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:59 PM

I'm a long time supporter myself, but you're in denial if you say they've historically been a terrible squad, and at times they were embarrassing to have represent Canada.

The new, improved squad is just more likely to bring in ticket sales from "casuals", where before it was more just die-hard soccer fans that were going

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I'm a long time supporter myself, but you're in denial if you say they've historically been a terrible squad, and at times they were embarrassing to have represent Canada.
No long time supporter would say anything like that, embarrassing to have represented Canada, really? I suggest they go over to the Voyageurs and post that and see how they fare. The only embarrassment to me was a creep like Trash Madani who said Atiba's NT career was basically a waste. When service and loyalty are a waste then we really do have problems.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 2:40 AM

If your not watching this game right now, you should be! 1-1 going into the 2nd half.

Go Canada!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
If your not watching this game right now, you should be! 1-1 going into the 2nd half.

Go Canada!
Watched the second half. You could tell the altitude was affecting the lads but gutted out the tie. A couple of chances at the end, oh boy!

Now to do the business with Jamaica and get those bloody 3 points!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 12:09 PM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 12:57 PM

Great results in arguably the toughest match of the qualifying. Jamaica should hopefully be an easy 3 and put us in am even better position

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 1:19 PM

Great ball by Davies and great touch by Osorio for the goal.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Great results in arguably the toughest match of the qualifying. Jamaica should hopefully be an easy 3 and put us in am even better position
No such thing as an easy three

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 11:00 PM

Canada 0 Jamaica 0 HT/FT

Last edited by elly63; Oct 10, 2021 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 8:30 AM

Canada honestly should have beaten Jamaica last night but it was their goalkeeper Andre Blake who kept them in the game

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Canada honestly should have beaten Jamaica last night but it was their goalkeeper Andre Blake who kept them in the game
He had two shots on goal and depending on your perspective one was a great save or a terrible shot by Millar that went straight at Blake. Very rough pitch (and Jamaican players) and missing a bunch of starters made the game difficult. Getting a tie was more than acceptable under the circumstances.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 11:28 AM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 2:30 PM

Still a bunch of seats left in the upper deck for Wednesday. GTA folks on the forum should consider getting tickets as it's gonna be an amazing atmosphere!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 2:37 PM

I heard TFC only drew 7000 a few nights ago. The argos are having the same problems there this year is there some sort of issues for fans getting to BMO this year? I don't really understand it as I thought the CNE grounds were pretty centrally located and the argos and jays had good attendance there in the 70s and 80s?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I heard TFC only drew 7000 a few nights ago. The argos are having the same problems there this year is there some sort of issues for fans getting to BMO this year? I don't really understand it as I thought the CNE grounds were pretty centrally located and the argos and jays had good attendance there in the 70s and 80s?
Actually, that is an excellent question....how the heck do I get to the game on Wednesday? I'm staying at the Delta downtown. For those of you that know the area well, what would be the best mode of transport at 7pm? Uber vs. Streetcar vs. Walk?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:40 AM

I would recommend taking the GO Train from Union to Exhibition - I just checked, one way fare is $4.40 and the the station is literally right beside the stadium

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:48 AM

^ It's been quite a few years since I've been to the CNE grounds but I remember doing exactly that, taking GO from Union and it seemed simple enough???

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:18 AM

Much more comfortable ride and spacious compared to streetcar but not as frequent so just keep that in mind. I have done the walk before though. Easier when you have a friend to talk to and the weather cooperates. I didn’t do it voluntarily though. It was during CNE so street cars were so packed they weren’t even making their stops and we had already walked a little bit past exhibition towards union. I feel like it was a massive fail by the TTC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada