HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:33 PM

196 George Street | ? | 3 fl | Planning

Received a notice in the mail yesterday regarding intentions on a vacant property that has been sitting idle for the last three years. Will be one of the latest tear-down then infills around the core. Possibly..

tetrahedral die

2012 c63 amg sedan 0 60

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
Received a notice in the mail yesterday regarding intentions on a vacant property that has been sitting idle for the last three years. Will be one of the latest tear-down then infills around the core. Possibly..

tetrahedral die

2012 c63 amg sedan 0 60
Yeah, seems like a small apartment development.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

Little update to this project..

A neighbour went to the presentation and shared the photos with me.

multiple pic upload

It's great that they are keeping the old tree in the front on George.. We were worried it was going to come down.. Although things could change. Here's hoping.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 5:08 PM

I like it! I hate front driveways as well, so this is a nice development to my eye

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 6:11 AM

Me too. I think this will be a great addition to the neighbourhood. I'm looking forward to this coming to reality.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 9:11 PM

#1 Report Post Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:33 PM woreg75 woreg75 is offline Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Yeah, seems like a small apartment development.
The Architecture could be a lot more cutting edge, and/or have a more distinct URBAN-look & feel to them, rather than the overdone and seen Suburban offering they have started with here.
No Balcony should be permitted (as people just use them for a random piece of patio furniture, cat scratching posts, rubbermaid bins, broken-down Sports equipment + garbage bags they are too lazy to walk to the dumpster. (Be Honest: we have all seen it and/or been guilty of it)

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: The townhouse design is also merely hiding the fact that this is nothing more than a rooming house/student residences as within the 6-stackable townhomes are to be 30+ bedrooms w/ a mere 12 parking spaces on a street/neighbourhood where there is already no parking to be found for those of us who already live and work here.

Perhaps the Strathcona Community Council and WARD 1 City Counsellor, Maureen Wilson will speak up for the residents of this tiny street located in a small little pocket sandwiched between MAIN & KING to ensure that this development, as planned, will NOT get approval from City Hall.
The total lack of Parking Spaces vs the # of bedrooms planned on a street zoned both Commercial & Residential that require "X-amount" of Parking to reflect the needs of that street/area/the residents who live there but their property has no parking due to the fact that the houses and lots were there long before the Automobile was on the scene.

Let us all work together to ensure responsible, sensitive, interesting and Beautiful building get built in our city to ADD not detract from the cityscape, while addressing and taking care of those already living there to ensure their quality of life and ability to live, work, and park their car on the street they actually live on

Last edited by JP14; Oct 4, 2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: :-)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 9:16 PM

Smile

Do you realize in addition to some of the BIG BOX STORE/cheap looking materials to be sued (ex; Porch railings) + the suburban-style/design of the development add nothing to the streetscape or neighbourhood

Important to Note: that there are over 30 bedrooms proposed in 6-stackable townhomes with only 12 parking spaces.

I hope withe a few facts as told/shown to me, you might now temper your 'stamp of approval' on this project and work with SCC and/or voice concerns to City Hall to help steer the planning of this development in the right direction.

We also need to reforest our City Streets
Whether you have an acre or a postage-stamp sized lot, if a tree dies/comes down a new one should get planted.
Any front lots without a tree, gets one planted.
Yet Hamilton has street after street stripped clean of or died off and never replaced vs TORONTO with a very progressive 30-50y'o Bylaw that oversees the program in order to maintain the truly incredible 'CITY FOREST' right across the T.

In Hamilton...where once majestic Tree-Canopies once lined all of our city streets...they are no bare with a random 100 y/o Beauty holding her lonely post waiting to be joined by new Trees that should have and need to be planted.
..................................but that is whole other issue yet is an important part of Urban Planning (or should be) ? :-)

Last edited by JP14; Oct 4, 2020 at 12:43 AM. Reason: :-)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 9:37 PM

Not all units or bedrooms need to have parking spaces. You are not guaranteed parking living downtown. Toronto is packed with 3 unit houses and many people can't find parking so they opt out of having a car which is a good thing.

With regards to the design and materials, you are likely correct and I agree. It would be nice to have better development. From my understanding, this isn't going forward as was originally planned anyway though. I don't remember where that was posted.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 12:02 AM

I have re-read my note and I didn't mean to come off so snarky/aggressive.

I agree about the parking spaces vs units in Toronto as a new reality.
However, I have lived and/or worked in cities such as; Toronto, Vancouver, L.A., S.F., and they have the Urban density & Population that support that lifestyle + Public Transit.
People in Hamilton DO NOT, they LOVE and Drive their cars, including a lot of students.

I feel that on a street where the actual 2 residents (with no driveways) who own/live/work on Pearl Street South 12-24 and rarely if ever can find a Parking Space.
5-11yrs ago this was not an issue but more and more younger people are moving in with their cars.
Even with a monthly pass you would need to either be home to move yr vehicle every 2hrs should you even be lucky enough to get a spot.... and/or you would need to set an alarm to wake yourself from your sleep to move yr vehicle every 2hrs on a week where you are working nights and need to sleep during the daytime, etc.

This is an issue that will only be made much worse with a 30+ Bedroom Rooming/Student House type of development on this tiny street.
In such example residents/citizens should be able to make a case for 'Designated Street Parking for Home to Vehicle w/ Direct Designated Street Parking Permits issued for 24/7 Parking Passes

And, yes, they certainly could do way better on the Design Element as well to give them the Urban-Town Home with a 'Victorian-Era' featured...President should make for their Plans for a Balcony a total 'no-go', as per GOOD SHEPARD, but wouldn't a ROOF-TOP Terrace be a perfect idea as a lot of Cities are pushing for Roof-Top Green Spaces on new builds in their downtowns...it would make for a nice selling feature as well and make them more 'upmarket'?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP14 View Post
I feel that on a street where the actual 2 residents (with no driveways) who own/live/work on Pearl Street South 12-24 and rarely if ever can find a Parking Space.
This line smacks of NIMBYism - the term "actual residents" is loaded with underlying conceptions. The residents who move into these homes will also be "residents" not a second class of citizens on their own street.

The fact that people live there, without driveways, and are actively trying to prevent other people from moving there without driveways because they want to maintain their easy access to free city maintained parking cannot be justified without explaining why one group is more entitled to it then the other.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:08 AM
Forever forward.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
How high does the per-unit profit margin have to be to justify land-costs of 300,000$ per unit? Once construction is factored in it's hard to imagine that buying at this price is feasible unless they get packaged as "luxury" units.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:06 PM

Overview of listing
10 Townhouses (1,245 To 1,605 SF) Let's just split it at 1425 SF
2 Apartments (900 & 1,500 SF)

Math time
Townhomes
1425=132.3868 Sq Metre x $5,302.09 (Price per Square Metre to Buy Apartment in City Centre) = $701,926 x 10 = $7,019,267

Apartment 1 = 83.6127 sqm x $5,302.09 = $443,322
Apartment 2 = 139.3546 sqm x $5,302.09 = $738,870

Cost of properties = $3.6M
Rough (average based on current values) = $8,201,459.97

Now there's all the other stuff involved in building and appointments of the unit, but I'm sure they'll make out okay.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:05 PM

failed post. cannot delete

Last edited by Bubba9000; Feb 19, 2021 at 3:27 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton