HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 2:12 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
I haven't driven by yet but Riverton City just posted this today:

Here is the tweet and video:

https://twitter.com/RivertonUtahGov/...45777779523585
Yah, saw that just come out. Looks like they've modified the original plans slightly. It was just weird that they stripped everything out, leaving only the steel framing. My guess is that they've changed contractors and will start bringing on more equipment... eventually...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 12:25 PM

Park City plans to build Old Town trailhead, providing easy access to Treasure acreage

Jay Hamburger for the Park Record - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/park...asure-acreage/

...The trailhead will be located on Lowell Avenue just north of the Empire Avenue switchback. There will be space for five vehicles in a parking area that will be built as part of the trailhead. The parking area will be for summertime use. A kiosk with a map of the Treasure land, a trash can and a bag dispenser for animal waste are also planned. The trailhead will serve a new trail City Hall also plans to build on the Treasure acreage, which stretches across a hillside overlooking Old Town along the route of the Town Lift. A bronze sculpture of the late Richard Martinez, who was a legendary Park City silver miner, will be placed at the trailhead...

...The Park City Council in mid-September is expected to award a contract for the construction of the trailhead. The work could start by the end of that month. City Hall hopes to finish the project by the end of 2020.

The new trail will be usable during the warm-weather months but will not be accessible during the winter. The new trail on the Treasure land will connect with a network that links to points across Park City and the Snyderville Basin...

Beautiful job on the restoration of the old Imperial Hotel. Looks like something cool is happening next door also. That vacant lot to the right was the old Star Hotel. It was in pretty bad condition even as far back as the 30's-40's of the last century. Kind of Park City's version of a dive hotel I guess. Below is a picture of it before demolition. https://www.parkcity4u.com/listing/1...city-ut-84060/

https://feed-images.rewhosting.com/p...908727-1-o.jpg

As you can see, even almost a century ago the place was pretty much a non-descript dive.

As it appeared right before demolition...According to the Park Record, a dining service is planned on the main floor of a new building. Options remain under consideration for the upstairs,
the general contractor is quoted as saying in a Park Record article. There are no definitive renderings of the upcoming structure that I can find. Supposedly the new structure will be a faithful historic restoration

Last edited by delts145; Aug 30, 2020 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 2:21 PM
Space Magi

Here we go, folks.

When it comes to repurposing prison site, Cox says it’s time to ‘think big’
Quote:
DRAPER — Could the 700-acre Utah State Prison site in Draper, due to be vacated in 2022, play future host to a world-class monument a la Paris’ Eiffel Tower?

Or Seattle’s Space Needle?

Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox, co-chairman of the state panel tasked with repurposing the 700-acre parcel, said being able to envision and execute a clean-slate plan for a public property of this size in one of the country’s fastest-growing areas is an unparalleled opportunity.

“There really isn’t anything like this in the world right now,” Cox said. “It’s unprecedented to have a piece of property like this, situated where it is.

“Because it is such a multigenerational opportunity, for many of us our biggest fear, or biggest risk, is that we don’t think big enough.”

Cox, who is a front-runner in the current race to replace his outgoing boss, Gov. Gary Herbert, said he’s been thinking big himself about what could be done with what is now being called “the Point” by the 11-member Point of the Mountain State Land Authority he is overseeing, along with fellow co-chairman state Rep. Lowry Snow, R-Santa Clara.

“It would be very easy to turn this over to developers and put some high density housing and business on there but we believe this project, the Point, represents the future of our state,” Cox said. “This gives us an opportunity to reimagine what it means to live, work and play in our state and make the best of a new economy.”

Cox said it was not out of the realm of possibility for the site to play home to a landmark along the lines of the iconic structures that have gone up as part of past international exhibitions held around the world.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:47 PM

Oh, I hate everything about that.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:55 PM

Cox and his ilk will do whatever benefits them, with no regard for community or the future. So don't expect anything different around point of the mountain than the same suburban monstrosities that has made Lehi a hellhole.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:11 AM
Space Magi

Now they've launched a new website and renamed the project:
https://thepointutah.org/

There's information and a survey there.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:33 PM

Don't forget to take the survey and push for just open space. The more people that do this the larger the open space component.

I know that there is a lot of people against the creation of a second or even a new downtown.

I think it will end up being built similar to the last design, low and mid rise buildings, parking structures and the tallest buildings near I-15 at around 8 stories.

The costs for the infrastructure to support much anything bigger will be harder to justify, especially as anywhere outside of the 200 acres for the prison site will need come primarily from Draper City.

Draper just doesn't have the tax revenue to support the increase and it is doubtful that developers will do all the infrastructure work for tax reductions. The State is estimating Billions for just the infrastructure to support their large scale vision. Trax extension isn't even a Billion, it may be just over if combined with selective FrontRunner upgrades. It is doubtful the State will step in for more than some minor roads and transit infrastructure, leaving most of the items for Draper and developers.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:06 PM

I did the survey.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I did the survey.
Anyone know what firm is doing the point master plan? Would love to see Design Workshop (recently the ones who did Ogden’s new master plan, in conjunction with USU’s LAEP program) accomplish a similar feat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:02 AM

Maybe Sauron's eye tower? It could keep an eye on things in case the Utah County Salt Lake County civil war ever happens.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:12 AM

Last edited by Orlando; Sep 17, 2020 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:54 AM

Bwa ha ha! They kept showing pictures of that stupid straddle bus from China!
https://www.inverse.com/article/3352...decommissioned

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:41 PM
Space Magi

Yeah I noticed that. Makes it seem like they're just blowing smoke about being forward-thinking and ambitious.

The previous plan was pretty good, imo. Why are they seemingly starting over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland
Anyone know what firm is doing the point master plan?
The old plan was done by HOK.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 7:54 PM

/\/\/\

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:28 PM

They have a once-in-a-generation (plus) opportunity, and this is what they're doing with it?

I hate this so much.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:28 PM

Nothing good comes to the valley beyond 21st south.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:03 PM

At least they are being a little realistic. No huge skyscrapers, straddle busses, or hyperloops, etc.

I'm confused by the streets though. Did they render the roads as fairways? All those massive parking garages connecting into grass doesn't compute for me.

Lastly, there seems to be no intent to connect any of this to transit. There is no space for the TRAX 'west option,' and the connection to the FrontRunner station looks pretty tortuous (so many curves and intersections!). Why can't they reroute one of their major arterial roads to go straight from the FrontRunner station to the TRAX line on the east side? Something wide enough for a high-capacity BRT line, like UVX. That is reasonably the best these developers can hope for, but that opportunity is quickly slipping away.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 7:53 PM

Fyi, this was a preliminary plan. There is an rfq process that just begun to find a masterplanner, and then the masterplan will be developed.

https://www.hok.com/projects/view/po...ter-plan-utah/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:23 AM

Exactly Orlando, Emphasis on 'Preliminary'. I do like those last rendering you posted. I don't know that 'The Point' will ever please everybody, but I have faith they'll get it generally right. Speaking of huge projects, has anyone heard the latest on that major planned city out at the western perimeter of the valley? I can't remember the name. Somewhat of another Daybreak style development.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Exactly Orlando, Emphasis on 'Preliminary'. I do like those last rendering you posted. I don't know that 'The Point' will ever please everybody, but I have faith they'll get it generally right. Speaking of huge projects, has anyone heard the latest on that major planned city out at the western perimeter of the valley? I can't remember the name. Somewhat of another Daybreak style development.
Olympia Hills was the name you're looking for. Last I heard they had worked through the political quagmire of zoning. Here's their site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West