HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
I've had similar desires to see the plaza at the Georgia Street side remodeled, and hadn't realized BCBC was the holdup. Not sure I'd agree the fountain (so not entirely unanimous) is so drastically inappropriate, but a leveling of the square surrounding plantings, removal of grass in the centre in favour of a stone surface would be great!

Relocation of the flagpole to front and centre on Georgia (as it once was, when it was much much bigger) would be good. Maybe someone can find a photo that shows this older version of the square?
Thanks for the feedback. Just don't forget about lighting up the lions!!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 11:07 PM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
The grassy knoll is a key element to the landscape vision of the Robson Square as an urban park, and would truly suck if it were ever considered expendable. Isn't it bad enough that the buildings are now encircled by new barred fences and superfluous glass railings? The knoll is in need of minor maintenance, but otherwise the plantings are mature and generally in good health. I think Cornelia Hahn Oberlander would have a thing or two to say about modifications if you dare ask her. Although Arthur is gone, she is still very actively looking after one of her creations.
I think I heard her on CBC radio once refer to the "modifications" as "incremental intrusions".

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There was a proposal a fews years back to build glass box retail pavillions on Robson - one on the site of the grassy know, and another on the site of... the pagoda ... on the north side of the street at Howe.
ya I was sad to see that proposal die. would have modernized the rRobson street scape quite a bit.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 11:44 PM

I can't find those renderings anywhere but it looked cool from what I remember. 2 stories, box-like, with lots of glass?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:21 AM

That's what I remember too.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 7:51 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

yup with some restaurant space as well with roof top access. I think there was also a few photos in an old Colliers or DTZ Barnicke market report.....maybe that would be the best place to dig one up.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 4:07 AM
Reason and Freedom

More evidence of new life in the renovated square:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susangi...15727/sizes/l/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 6:43 AM
David

That's me on the very right of that picture! Haha!

It certainly was an awesome feeling to be skating at Robson Square while that band played.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 9:53 AM

I walked by on Robson St. on Friday night about 6:30 and it was really hopping. A band was playing (not sure if it was the same one pictured) and there were lots of people skating and lots up top watching through the dome. Very festive! :-)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 11:48 AM

i took a pic from the top around 12:30 ish must be the same band

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 1:40 PM

every time i've walked by, the skating rink is packed! it's definitely a success and will only get busier as more people find out about it.

i don't know who that band is but man, they need a change of clothing.
looks like they're going to a funeral after the gig -

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 5:37 PM

Here's my iphone/twitpic of the rink with a growing crowd on friday at like 6pm.

[how about now?]

Last edited by nova9; Nov 30, 2009 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 7:57 PM

^ can't see pic.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 9:24 PM

My buddy went on an ice skating date there on Saturday and said it was madness. The place was so packed that they barely had any room to move. None the less they had a great time and the rainy day didn't even factor into the equation.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
^ can't see pic.
How about now?

If not, it might be a twitter account thing (like only if you're signed into twitter) I'll try to find an alternative hosting thing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 5:36 AM

Arrow what a relief

Glad to hear some positive vibes coming from the Robson Square thread. Everybody was so down on it a while back when the clamshell roof got nixed, but now, with the expanded skating rink and the enlarged glass domes, lit up blue at night, plus the activities there, the tone seems to be changing.

One thing to keep in mind is this; there are numerous cities comparable to Vancouver in size (often in the USA) that have such decrepit and ugly downtowns, that they would KILL for something like Robson Square, even though we gripe about it. (Ever been to downtown Oakland, CA?)

Sure it isn't "perfect" and there are things that could improve it greatly even more, but please let's be thankful that we have the "raw materials," a space to work with. Among other things, addressing the Georgia Street side of the Square would be timely.

A bit of lighting and elegance never hurt a downtown heritage building (at least not that I'm aware of)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 7:53 PM

^ You make a good point. We have a pretty spectacular downtown, period. Let alone for a North American city of our size, age, economy and location.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Glad to hear some positive vibes coming from the Robson Square thread. Everybody was so down on it a while back when the clamshell roof got nixed, but now, with the expanded skating rink and the enlarged glass domes, lit up blue at night, plus the activities there, the tone seems to be changing.

One thing to keep in mind is this; there are numerous cities comparable to Vancouver in size (often in the USA) that have such decrepit and ugly downtowns, that they would KILL for something like Robson Square, even though we gripe about it. (Ever been to downtown Oakland, CA?)

Sure it isn't "perfect" and there are things that could improve it greatly even more, but please let's be thankful that we have the "raw materials," a space to work with. Among other things, addressing the Georgia Street side of the Square would be timely.

A bit of lighting and elegance never hurt a downtown heritage building (at least not that I'm aware of)
I agree! I've been in a lot of Downtowns... and they all sucked. Except of course for some of those that have between 3 and 30 million population. But even downtown Los Angeles is "meh".

It's unreasonable to think we should have everything New York, Chicago, or Tokyo have. When they have MILLIONS of people, and we have about 600,000 in Vancouver proper.

Most tourists who come to Vancouver think we're a lot bigger on the population scale than we are. Because, well, there are actually PEOPLE downtown, which they're not used to seeing at home.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 8:44 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I agree! I've been in a lot of Downtowns... and they all sucked. Except of course for some of those that have between 3 and 30 million population. But even downtown Los Angeles is "meh".

It's unreasonable to think we should have everything New York, Chicago, or Tokyo have. When they have MILLIONS of people, and we have about 600,000 in Vancouver proper.
Good points, but I think we shouldn't lower our expectations either. Canadian cities by nature are generally more dynamic than U.S cities of the same size. (that's not to say we shouldn't be learning from cities like San Francisco, DC, Chicago, NYC, Portland).

Let's look to Europe and Asia, where smaller cities also lay claim to first class transportation networks and thriving city cores. If we keep benchmarking our cities against the US, we'll just be (dangerously) patting ourselves on the back, while the rest of the world roars ahead both countries.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 8:49 PM

portland was like a ghosttown at night - nice during the day but dead at night

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver