HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

a city around a space elevator sounds really cool. but i think you should develop various buildings around it rather than stuck to it.

after all, something this expensive and advanced will have major security

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:47 PM

a different space elevator

I came across your project perhaps too late to suggest drafting a space elevator based on a completely different technology.

The original reason for my recommendation is because it seems that a rotating tether does not have much in common with a skyscraper as is the name of this forum (SkyscraperPage)

What I am recommending goes by the name of a SpaceShaft and it could truly be regarded as a skyscraper instead of a centrifugally rotating tether.

You can find some information about it by searching the internet for the word spaceshaft, (yes all in one word,) but if you care for a quick explanation on how such a structure would work or be deployed you can read more below.

Imagine a spar-buoy with a line at one end that extends to a submerged anchor. In water, such a buoy will have half of its body submerged below a waterline while the other half will be floating upright above the water. If, metaphorically speaking, we assume an environment in which the atmosphere of our planet is the equivalent to a water-mass, while the Space is the counterpart of the atmosphere, then if new buoyant sections could be inserted at the base of the buoy, where the anchor-line extends to the underwater anchor, and if by some mechanism, slack could be given to the anchor-line as needed, then the top section will rise further into Space.

Evidently such a structure will have to have, besides the anchoring system, some mooring system to keep it from being tossed around by winds, but it will produce a tremendous amount of up-thrust making it besides a skyscraper a combined method of construction and transportation.

As said, perhaps you can develop some ideas about it which will make you the very first to conceive some artwork related to the concept. If you are interested go to http://spaceshaft.org

Cheers

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 1:16 AM

I just don't know if this will be the future, I just want NASA to be the ones to build this... I do not want some stupid Chinese thing to come and be the best

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 6:57 AM

Chinese thing

I somewhat agree with you, but I will firmly restate what you said as: "not having the Chinese-Communist-Party doing anything with it".

With "our gone industries" they have been paying for far too long their massive unemployment. For too long they have been using our father's work to give us credit-cards to sell us their goods, ... I can keep on protesting but I don't like being seen as a whiner.

Me too I am very disappointed about such policies.

But let us not make of this forum something political but keep it as intended; just technological.

nlsosborne3795 is your profession in the field of architecture?

Last edited by globallift; Aug 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 10:50 PM
Closed account

Anything new on this?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 11:05 PM

not really, might start again soon....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup