HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Perhaps part of it can be made into a "Food Truck Park", and the other part can be a grassy park with places to sit and eat the food? Just an idea.
That's not a bad idea. These do exist and the ones I've seen are actually well designed spaces, not just a parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 9:04 PM

That corner used to be a common food truck stop, but I think they may have had to move due to the proximity to restaurants. A truck park would be pretty cool, especially if they could offer power hookups so the trucks didn't have to run loud/dirty generators. But who would pay for all that? And do the landowners even want to sell? Maybe the parking lots make them enough money to cover the taxes.

Even using the land for farmers markets would be nice. The river north association should look into this. Is that in Reilly's zone?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 10:51 PM

The metromover here in Miami runs right thru a relatively new tall building? So why not just build up? I havent passed by this corner in more than seven years so I dont remember it very well. Would it even be possible there?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:13 PM

I suppose it'd be possible to build up and around it with a podium and split lobby. I don't know if CTA has ever gone for something like that.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:48 AM

The Millender Center in Detroit

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:56 AM

11/27/13

The continued demolition of Pierce Hall in Hyde Park.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 7:35 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I suppose it'd be possible to build up and around it with a podium and split lobby. I don't know if CTA has ever gone for something like that.
Yes, they have.

http://goo.gl/maps/1mJbV

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 6:13 AM

Has anyone else been following that stadium collapse in Rio? This is probably wayyyy off topic and a bit ridiculous, but I bet the IOC is starting to have second thoughts about tossing Chicago out in the first round a few years ago...

Again, probably a ridiculous thought, but I wonder if there is any chance that the 2016 games could be pulled and relocated if the 2014 World Cup goes haywire in Rio? It is probably too early for anyone to panic, but it seems that they are encountering worrisome execution issues.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 6:38 AM

Could we do any better than they could on such late notice? At the speed most civic construction proceeds in this town I don't think we could get new stadiums and fields through the alderman process by 2016.

I wonder if Rahm & friends could think of any prominent politically connected businessmen who have experience handling late notice Olympics relocatings.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 9:24 AM
TL;DR

I don't think the IOC is having second thoughts at all. You're just feeling a little schadenfreude. Rio is a great world city and it will be a good host for the Games - I'm sure the IOC considered the possibility for corruption, displacement of the poor, etc and still deemed it worthwhile to bring the Games to South America.

The Olympics are just an extension of the megaproject mentality gone awry; the same wasteful impulse that's leading the Braves to ditch their 15-year-old stadium and build new at taxpayer expense. Chicago doesn't need the Games to reshape our city. The Games are not the only way, and probably one of the worst ways, to "make no small plans". It's a political expedient and nothing more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 1:53 PM
dream fast

11-28

Virgin Hotel

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 1:55 PM
dream fast

11-28

Maggie Daley Park

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't think the IOC is having second thoughts at all. You're just feeling a little schadenfreude. Rio is a great world city and it will be a good host for the Games - I'm sure the IOC considered the possibility for corruption, displacement of the poor, etc and still deemed it worthwhile to bring the Games to South America.
I'm not talking about corruption or displacing the poor, I'm talking about the reports that the venues for both the Cup and the Olympics are perilously behind schedule. Let's fact it, the IOC is just like any other NGO, they really don't actually give a crap about poor people in favellas or corruption (they held the games in Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and most recently China for pete's sake). They care about furthering their own organization which means ensuring a successful Olympics every four years. You can have a mass displacement of poor people and still have a successful Olympics (you can have an embryonic holocaust and still have a successful Olympics).

What you can't have is incomplete or inadequate venues and a successful Olympics. That is the question I am raising here. I'm sure there is no chance they will relocate it, but after that crane collapse I really wonder what the IOC is thinking now. I definitely am feeling a little schadenfreude about the whole situation. It's kinda funny to me that both Chicago and Rio have been having problems with roving bands of thugs causing problems on their beaches lately though, lol.

Quote:
The Olympics are just an extension of the megaproject mentality gone awry; the same wasteful impulse that's leading the Braves to ditch their 15-year-old stadium and build new at taxpayer expense. Chicago doesn't need the Games to reshape our city. The Games are not the only way, and probably one of the worst ways, to "make no small plans". It's a political expedient and nothing more.
I disagree with you on this, but that's an entirely different discussion and definitely off topic for this thread so I won't go there. It's a moot argument anyhow until Chicago decides to mount another run at the games (and who knows if that will ever even happen).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 7:41 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

I used to work in River North and had angry thoughts about this parking lot daily. The L tracks cutting through it definitely preclude any kind of vertical development, but it wouldn't be a bad spot for a small park or outdoor plaza with places to eat lunch on nice days. Since River North is turning into such a food and startup mecca, it might be a good way to showcase both.
Never say never. A proposal by Hirsch (cropped image from their Facebook):

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Never say never. A proposal by Hirsch (cropped image from their Facebook):
Those are some mighty sharp eyes you've got there.

Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 8:21 PM
TL;DR

Wow, spyguy. Mighty fine sleuthing.

With River North the hottest neighborhood in the city, maybe the time has finally come to develop these unusual/sub-optimal sites. I'm interested by the possibility for some plaza space on the corner beneath the tracks.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 9:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Would still love to see the L pass THRU a building in Chicago though. Most obvious location I can think of besides this one would be the Wabash block behind the Columbia dorm.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 9:36 AM
TL;DR

It already does, at Rush Hospital. IIT's Campus Center too, but the tube is really just a sound control device.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 1:51 PM

Grand and Michigan - Lover level

On the West side - Nordstroms.
Understated - or underwhelmed ?

On the East - new walkway.

A building so ugly the burgers must be good.

Light Beige - of course.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 2:08 PM

Rice Cube - Nov 25

...wrong thread .....

Last edited by harryc; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development