HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
And this is one of many reasons why conservative economists have no right to be in positions of government power. They purposely do wrong, don't care about anyone outside their circle, and expect to live lives where they pay no money for any service.
Let me guess - you are not now, nor have you ever been a supporter of the Progressive Conservative Party.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Major work has begun at 16 Orange and 170 Carmarthen, both residential. Not sure what the Orange plan is but Carmarthen is being restored to its original appearance and function- that means wood siding and conversion to a single-family home.
Lots happening residentially: 145 Orange and 170 Princess are both underway as well.

Since all of these are in the Heritage area and currently vacant, they should end up looking quite nice if they follow the code. 15 or so 'new' units from small developers started this calendar year between these 4 projects. It adds up.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:51 PM
ハルウララ

Very interesting to see how far south and east these redevelopments can push in the South End. It feels like every year or two we're jumping down a few blocks SE pushing gentrification more and more over the peninsula.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Very interesting to see how far south and east these redevelopments can push in the South End. It feels like every year or two we're jumping down a few blocks SE pushing gentrification more and more over the peninsula.
Yep. I can only think of a couple really really ugly blocks south of Union now. Duke between Carmarthen and Wentworth, St James between the same, all of Brittain.

I've had multiple people admonish me for 'gentrification' this summer while I lugged barrels of trash and debris to a dumpster on the corner of Carmarthen and Duke, which is funny. You can't win with Saint Johnners.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Yep. I can only think of a couple really really ugly blocks south of Union now. Duke between Carmarthen and Wentworth, St James between the same, all of Brittain.

I've had multiple people admonish me for 'gentrification' this summer while I lugged barrels of trash and debris to a dumpster on the corner of Carmarthen and Duke, which is funny. You can't win with Saint Johnners.
Vast majority would be behind you - just a small vocal minority that will complain about anything. They’ll argue both sides of a coin ...

I’d love for the city to get the power from the province to grow a set - give dilapidated building or vacant lot owners 3 years to develop or else city will pay assessed value and sell it on open market. IMO there is a line between property owner rights and demolition by neglect.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Years ago I looked at a house on Canterbury St near St. James - lost interest because I was concerned about property value being so close to Sally Anne shelter (no issue with shelter, just a business decision). Who’d think it would become what it is now - modern home on corner and the 2 Ocean Lofts buildings. Looks like the lot at end of Pagan Place will have something as it sold for $77K

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm not sure if this adds any new information to what is already known, but this construction card was found on the CCD Canada website for 91 King Street.

Quote:
MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS, 91 KING ST., SAINT JOHN

CCD Ref. Number : NB162036-21-01

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : January 27, 2021

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Mid-sized ($3,588,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4B-Residential Development

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

SAINT JOHN (NB)

Description :
MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS -
Located in Saint John, 91 King St., this project estimated at $3 588 000 is in the planning stage. Works concern the development of a residential and commercial neighbourhood. The project includes the restoration of an existing retail store, demolition work to clear space for additions and new buildings. The planning phase being the most important one and consume 60% of the effort in developing the schedule.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
So, it sounds as if they intend to keep ground level retail facing King Street and Charlotte Street. Sounds promising!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:31 AM

I'm a little confused by that information because if I recall correctly commercial space wasn't apart of the plan because there isn't much of a business case for it. Furthermore, is the 3 million dollar price tag just for planning and demolition, or is that the total cost of the project? If only three million is going into it then there's not a chance we're seeing anything with height.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:32 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I'm a little confused by that information because if I recall correctly commercial space wasn't apart of the plan because there isn't much of a business case for it. Furthermore, is the 3 million dollar price tag just for planning and demolition, or is that the total cost of the project? If only three million is going into it then there's not a chance we're seeing anything with height.
The $3M is for planning and design. Basically prep work. This CCD card is for planning and drawing and the description summarizes what the $3M goes towards (restoration, demolition, clearing).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not sure if this adds any new information to what is already known, but this construction card was found on the CCD Canada website for 91 King Street.

So, it sounds as if they intend to keep ground level retail facing King Street and Charlotte Street. Sounds promising!
How does CCD get this information? Interesting, but word from a reliable source is that it’s a tear down due to water damage. I’m also surprised at the dollar value - was hoping it would be a larger project

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
How does CCD get this information? Interesting, but word from a reliable source is that it’s a tear down due to water damage. I’m also surprised at the dollar value - was hoping it would be a larger project
CCD Canada is an internet based clearing house for contractors from across Canada to view projects under consideration from across the country. They can then choose whether or not to bid on the contracts.

The information available on the card is rudimentary. You can see more detailed information if you subscribe to the CCD service, but access is limited to construction professionals.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:08 AM

Whatever the details end up being, at least this is a fairly concrete sign of progress on a significant, highly visible property in SJ that has been an eyesore for years.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:42 PM

Saint John Theatre Company has announced plans for a new addition to the old county courthouse on Syndey Street. This will be an incredible facility for arts and culture in Uptown Saint John and will fill in a little vacant gap between the courthouse and Irving Oil's new parking garage.

From the press release:
Quote:
The proposed re-design will be able to accommodate three simultaneous events, with a performance theatre that can hold 220+ seats, along with flexible configurations, a new box office, patron elevator, backstage, dressing, rehearsal and administrative spaces, receiving area and freight elevator, a lobby café with catering options. and an additional small studio rehearsal and performance venue.

The SJTC note that not all of the required funding has been raised has yet been raised, but are hoping that having the new design available to the public will spark new interest and support from the community.

Last edited by ColSJ; Jan 29, 2021 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:31 PM

The proposal looks great!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some exciting things going on in SJ right now!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 2:37 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Really excited about the SJTC/Courthouse proposal. Hopefully they can secure the necessary funding.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Saint John Theatre Company has announced plans for a new addition to the old county courthouse on Syndey Street. This will be an incredible facility for arts and culture in Uptown Saint John and will fill in a little vacant gap between the courthouse and Irving Oil's new parking garage.

From the press release:

Was this the "big announcement" Adamsj?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Was this the "big announcement" Adamsj?
Nope. Took me by surprise.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:40 PM

Then hopefully this year we have The Wellington start, the mystery announcement Adam spoke of, Percy’s March reveal for old Woolworth and opening of Wentworth, telegraph and Atlantic - shaping up to be a decent year

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 6:04 PM
ハルウララ

The SJTC proposal is very exciting. Hoping it turns out well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces