HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
At 5 stories, 1 more to go, Telegraph Square has now poked above the skyline - now visible when you come down St Patrick St.
The view from St. Patrick Street is neat, this project adds great density on top of what already existed. As far as a presence on the skyline, it's minimal. I was driving across the harbor bridge and I really had to make an effort to notice it. None the less an awesome project in the core!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
The view from St. Patrick Street is neat, this project adds great density on top of what already existed. As far as a presence on the skyline, it's minimal. I was driving across the harbor bridge and I really had to make an effort to notice it. None the less an awesome project in the core!
1 more story and the exterior might make it pop

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 5:05 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 5:24 PM

This is roughly what an 11 story building will look like on the uptown skyline if the developer goes that high. The first purchaser a few years back indicated the existing structure can handle up to 11 stories. Percy Wilbur will most likely want to maximize the potential. I can’t see much opposition considering its currently a commercial area and it’s on the NW area of King’s Square so unlikely to block any light coming into square.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:17 AM

Now that there is a demand for housing uptown, I wonder if this project will take off. It’s a vacant piece of land across from The Atlantic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Now that there is a demand for housing uptown, I wonder if this project will take off. It’s a vacant piece of land across from The Atlantic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Do you know who is behind this project? I recall seeing this render a while ago.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Do you know who is behind this project? I recall seeing this render a while ago.
Acre architects (designer and developer)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
I drove by tonight and noticed there is now a listing sign on the building.

https://www.royallepage.ca/en/proper...7/mlsnb051283/
Update: This building has now sold. The uptown market is red hot!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 2:03 AM

Carmarthen is cleaning up fast north of Queen.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 9:46 PM

Telegraph Square currently sitting at 5 stories with one more to go

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 4:36 AM

Wow! I had no idea things had progressed that far. When is it supposed to be complete and are there any retail tenants confirmed?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Wow! I had no idea things had progressed that far. When is it supposed to be complete and are there any retail tenants confirmed?
Occupancy is supposed to be Summer 2021
I haven’t heard anything about commercial tenants. Be a great location for a Moxie’s if the ever came to Saint John

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Occupancy is supposed to be Summer 2021
I haven’t heard anything about commercial tenants. Be a great location for a Moxie’s if the ever came to Saint John
Starbucks would be my guess.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Starbucks would be my guess.
We had a Starbucks in Brunswick Square that closed down a few years ago and since then uptown has exploded with new locally owned coffee shops. A return of Starbucks simply wouldn’t be good for the community.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:
We had a Starbucks in Brunswick Square that closed down a few years ago and since then uptown has exploded with new locally owned coffee shops. A return of Starbucks simply wouldn’t be good for the community.
Agreed, but as good as these local coffee shops are, people from all walks of life (cruise ship passengers included) enjoy familiarity.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 5:56 PM

With the year coming to a close I figured I'd give a recap on this extraordinary year and what we can expect next year.

2020 Projects
The Wentworth- 83 unit apartment building
Telegraph Square- 34 unit mixed use building
The Atlantic- 29 unit apartment building
Gulliver's Lookout- 7 unit addition
+ the dozens of refurbishment projects that happened up and down many residential streets.

Unfortunately 2020 is another year where no progress on Fundy Quay has been made.
Overall in light of the pandemic I would say construction wise Uptown had a great year with a lot of momentum moving into 2021.

By the fall of the new year all of 2020's three big projects will be completed. We'll likely see some big movements on 91 King. Possibly some renderings around late February early March followed by what I'm sure will be some attention grabbing city council meetings.
UNBSJ's big plans for a property around King's Square could be revealed although I'm not overly confident because they have been pretty tight lipped about it.
Hopefully the Spring of 2021 will come with shovels in the ground at The Wellington. This project has been pushed back now close to 3 years.
St. Vincent's High School an affordable housing project could take off in 2021 if they're funding request from the federal government goes through.

Hopefully with vaccinations rolling out, life in 2021 will creep back to normalcy. If students are returning to school and offices operate at their normal capacity the business community can enjoy an uptick in revenue once again.

Last edited by ColSJ; Dec 31, 2020 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
With the year coming to a close I figured I'd give a recap on this extraordinary year and what we can expect next year.

2020 Projects
The Wentworth- 83 unit apartment building
Telegraph Square- 34 unit mixed use building
The Atlantic- 29 unit apartment building
Gulliver's Lookout- 7 unit addition
+ the dozens of refurbishment projects that happened up and down many residential streets.

Unfortunately 2020 is another year where no progress on Fundy Quay has been made.
Overall in light of the pandemic I would say construction wise Uptown had a great year with a lot of momentum moving into 2021.

By the fall of the new year all of 2020's three big projects will be completed. We'll likely see some big movements on 91 King. Possibly some renderings around late February early March followed by what I'm sure will be some attention grabbing city council meetings.
UNBSJ's big plans for a property around King's Square could be revealed although I'm not overly confident because they have been pretty tight lipped about it.
Hopefully the Spring of 2021 will come with shovels in the ground at The Wellington. This project has been pushed back now close to 3 years.
St. Vincent's High School an affordable housing project could take off in 2021 if they're funding request from the federal government goes through.
I'd note Gulliver's is 7 units added plus 2-3 restored in the old building. 155+ new units south of Union is nothing to sneeze at!

I'm hoping to personally add 10 units between February and the end of the year. Wrapping up a three unit at 194 Duke (don't worry, I'm re-siding in the spring and avoiding vinyl and metal), Starting another 3 unit, and hopefully building some townhouses if I can get the lot I want. I am sure I am not alone.

Wellington is supposed to be 32 units IIRC, St. Vincent's is 60. Both are half affordable half market. Woolworth's is a crapshoot unit-wise, depends how tall Wilbur wants to go. So, that's starting the year at 92, almost enough for that magic 250 that might entice a grocery store! This doesn't include the City Hall units (no idea how many are going in there) or the UNB secret plan (if they want a tip, they should include housing for business program students onsite), or whatever Irving plans to do with the Golden Ball.

Study into school location should begin too.

Regarding Fundy Quay, I'd rather see efforts devoted to infill projects like the above ones. Not the right time for it, again. Filling gaps where there's already a city should take priority.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I'm hoping to personally add 10 units between February and the end of the year. Wrapping up a three unit at 194 Duke (don't worry, I'm re-siding in the spring and avoiding vinyl and metal), Starting another 3 unit, and hopefully building some townhouses if I can get the lot I want. I am sure I am not alone.
I'm looking forward to seeing 194's new look. What's the location of the 3 unit you're starting? Also please keep us up to date on the townhouses, sounds very exciting!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing 194's new look. What's the location of the 3 unit you're starting? Also please keep us up to date on the townhouses, sounds very exciting!
Thanks! Probably an April/May thing.

There's a couple vacants I'm exploring, namely 115 Carmarthen. Townhouse-wise, 174 Pitt. Tentatively planning 4 narrow SFHs and a 3-4 unit with ground floor commercial if variance allows.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Thanks! Probably an April/May thing.

There's a couple vacants I'm exploring, namely 115 Carmarthen. Townhouse-wise, 174 Pitt. Tentatively planning 4 narrow SFHs and a 3-4 unit with ground floor commercial if variance allows.
That Carmarthen property has a lot of potential! What ideas do you have for it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces