HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 2:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
I believe there are significant property tax breaks for developers downtown.
In certain designated development zones, yes.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:09 PM

Moncton drafting new vision for riverfront

Moncton is taking a closer look at the city's riverfront.

"We really want to make the riverfront a destination and a must-see and a must-do experience in Moncton," Kevin Silliker, the city's director of economic development, said in an interview.

Silliker said the plan will include public consultation over the coming months to develop a vision of what can be added or improved along the Petitcodiac River, from the border with Dieppe west to the Brenda Robertson Bridge.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:28 PM

Although the plan seems to focus on greenspace, one opportunity that I think has been missed is to develop the space where the old pier was. Some years ago there was obviously a project to fix this area up, and there's a boardwalk and that odd little building, whose purpose eludes me. What is unfortunate about this space is that it's surrounded by the ass-end of a strip mall. I'd love to see the city work with the owner of that property to encourage something that includes commercial and restaurant uses that truly brings people to the riverside. I know this is a stretch, and not what this plan is about, but that always strikes me as a lost opportunity.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampduLarge View Post
Although the plan seems to focus on greenspace, one opportunity that I think has been missed is to develop the space where the old pier was. Some years ago there was obviously a project to fix this area up, and there's a boardwalk and that odd little building, whose purpose eludes me. What is unfortunate about this space is that it's surrounded by the ass-end of a strip mall. I'd love to see the city work with the owner of that property to encourage something that includes commercial and restaurant uses that truly brings people to the riverside. I know this is a stretch, and not what this plan is about, but that always strikes me as a lost opportunity.
The vacant lots between the Rodd and the strip mall should be very well positioned for mixed-use, same with the parking lots just north and west of the Treitz House.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:40 PM

I wonder who owns/if anyone uses the cool brick warehouse at 105 Albert. I'm very intrigued by it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I wonder who owns/if anyone uses the cool brick warehouse at 105 Albert. I'm very intrigued by it.
I'm not sure who owns it but I believe that was part of the CN infrastructure, possibly where trains were serviced.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Moncton drafting new vision for riverfront

Moncton is taking a closer look at the city's riverfront.

"We really want to make the riverfront a destination and a must-see and a must-do experience in Moncton," Kevin Silliker, the city's director of economic development, said in an interview.

Silliker said the plan will include public consultation over the coming months to develop a vision of what can be added or improved along the Petitcodiac River, from the border with Dieppe west to the Brenda Robertson Bridge.
I think it would need a lot of infrastructure built....otherwise I really don't see the attraction in getting up close to marshy mudbanks.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
I'm not sure who owns it but I believe that was part of the CN infrastructure, possibly where trains were serviced.
It's a distinct PID from the warehouse and lot to the north and west, which IIRC is CN owned... and also underutilized.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:37 PM
Mud

That a city the size of Moncton still has empty lots and strip malls along its defining natural feature is baffling. It's not the prettiest river around I get that but it has other things going for it that make it pretty unique.

It has the stark tidal changes that make the bay so famous, marine mammals swim up on occasion, a healthy bird pf prey population, etc. I honestly think people wouldn't be as harsh on the river if it had some work done on the Moncton/Dieppe border area. That's what's making the river so ugly because I've never heard complaints about the scenery downriver or that of the Salmon and Shubenacadie in NS.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
That a city the size of Moncton still has empty lots and strip malls along its defining natural feature is baffling. It's not the prettiest river around I get that but it has other things going for it that make it pretty unique.

It has the stark tidal changes that make the bay so famous, marine mammals swim up on occasion, a healthy bird pf prey population, etc. I honestly think people wouldn't be as harsh on the river if it had some work done on the Moncton/Dieppe border area. That's what's making the river so ugly because I've never heard complaints about the scenery downriver or that of the Salmon and Shubenacadie in NS.
I think a lot of towns and cities have this problem. Perhaps nothing is worse than Bridgewater though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:08 PM

Some thoughts I had on this riverfront master plan. I do find it encouraging that they are looking at it basically from the Dieppe border to the Brenda Robertson Bridge. Hopefully this involves utilizing the former landfill much more than it currently is.

First thing that I would love to see them do that wouldn’t actually require much money (if any at all and might actually make the city some money) is to clean up some of the ROW’s along Assumption! The area with the ball fields is actually all just one big parcel. There is no distinction between the marshy land south of Waterloo, the actual roadway and the ball fields. If they subdivided these, they could sell the portion of the property that has no value to the city. There is lots of little bits like this all around the city but this is certainly the worst one. I get it that the city owns them both, but there should be a distinction.

A second thing they NEED to do, is add some sort of sidewalk or multi use path along the western portion of assumption. I’m astounded how this has not already been done.

A third thing I’d like to see them do with this plan is extend assumption westward to the traffic circle. This is already on the city’s radar as it’s on their future roads map, but I wonder if this plan might cause this to happen sooner than later. It would also likely have to be done in conjunction with the provincial DOT. Even if there is as a phase one that ended at Ivan Rand, it could get the ball rolling while the city and province work out details for the traffic circle. After this extension opens, you would be able to give a road diet to west main along this portion. This would allow for on street parking (between jones lake and main essentially) and a dedicated bike lane or dedicated bus stop turn offs.

Another thought I had about the former landfill area, is you might be able to build a school in the area behind the Tim Hortons. I believe this was the part that they added the causeway material on top of, so it should be suitable to build a school on. You could build a pedestrian overpass crossing Main st. & the rail line to replace the at grade crossing at Milner Road and perhaps have a second crossing at Mount Royal Blvd.

One final thought, I’d love to see them properly connect the waterfront trail with the Jones Lake trail that is along westmount and with the panacadie trail that ends in the CBC parking lot. Some sort of bridge pedestrian bridge connecting to riverview would also be amazing!

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Apr 3, 2024 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Heritage Properties owns this I believe. I've been in it, just random storage for their other properties. Mostly empty. SUPER old heavy timber, evidence of fires in years past. Quite a history to it i'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
Heritage Properties owns this I believe. I've been in it, just random storage for their other properties. Mostly empty. SUPER old heavy timber, evidence of fires in years past. Quite a history to it i'm sure.
Indeed, it's owned by Heritage.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 4:48 PM

Interesting- thanks. It deserves better than being a warehouse. Maybe some synergy with Euston Park Social, or open-concept office.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:10 PM
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I think a lot of towns and cities have this problem. Perhaps nothing is worse than Bridgewater though.

If I remember correctly they recently approved a re-development for that one. It's crazy how priorities have changed in the past few decades vis-à-vis waterfront land like this.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly they recently approved a re-development for that one. It's crazy how priorities have changed in the past few decades vis-à-vis waterfront land like this.
You're right, they did.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
And the movie theatre on the bottom left of that image just announced it's shutting down, so there's more chance for redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 7:01 PM
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
And the movie theatre on the bottom left of that image just announced it's shutting down, so there's more chance for redevelopment.
Good riddance. Between places like this and Moncton's asphalt sea our kids will be astounded at the amount of valuable land we set aside for surface parking.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Good riddance. Between places like this and Moncton's asphalt sea our kids will be astounded at the amount of valuable land we set aside for surface parking.
I really hope they will be.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:
I'm too young to have any awareness of how people felt when these decisions were made.

For example when the Rogers Call Centre was built in the middle of Downtown Moncton was there any pushback? Or even some of the industrial buildings on Albert St like Maritime Window & Marathon Fluid systems. These dont belong downtown.

That area of downtown could be super unique if we didnt fill it with random buildings like that. Perhaps the housing on Albert Street would have been far more maintained and "luxurious" had this not happened. Now we likely wont see that neighbourhood fully transform for another 5-10 years. Three Sisters, rcmp station, euston park etc will have an influence.

I always got the feeling though that Moncton like many other maritime cities and towns considered themselves a have not for so long that they just they approved any development they could because "jobs". Growing up here in the late 90's/2000's the dominate conversation was always about people moving out west for work, its actually kind of crazy to think about how much that has changed in just a few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces