HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:20 AM
reticulating splines

Houston on foot - Downtown to the Heights

Here we go with another really long walk in Houston.

EDIT: By popular demand, full sized images now in place of the thumbnails, which were put in originally because of the sheer volume of images.

Photos taken May 20, 2009

Remember newspapers? Remember when we had two of them? (The Houston Post closed in 1995. The Houston Chronicle remains as the only daily newspaper in the city.)

An abandoned restaurant or bar of some sort. Let's take a look inside.

Whoops, my bad. Hope I don't get sued or something.

Frenchy's Cleaners. Not to be confused with Frenchy's Chicken.

Gentrification getting under way on Houston's near north side.

This is pretty much the classic Houston skyline shot. It looks great, but you can't see the older towers like the Gulf (Chase Building) and Niels Esperson, which were the cornerstones of the Houston skyline before the modern skyscraper boom starting in the 1960s.

Interstate 45 heading north. I'm standing on the Quitman Street bridge over 45.

I'm just north of a huge freeway interchange at I-45 and I-10. Kind of easy to lose track of that as I venture toward Woodland Heights.

All this a stone's throw away of downtown in the fourth largest city in America.

A Hurricane Ike casualty?

Woodland Heights, a neighborhood established over a century ago. It's nearly as old as Houston Heights, a formerly independent town which is now part of Houston and portions of it are now a designated historic district.

Lots of back streets covered in trees and greenery around here. And some say there's nothing in this city but concrete.

I sat in this park for a little while to rest.

Continuing on my way now...

Houston is flat, but there is actually a semblance of rolling terrain here along White Oak Bayou. By this city's standards these are hills!

If there actually were a lot of hills though, I probably wouldn't have made it walking this far. Climbing hills gets tiresome. Flat terrain doesn't always a good postcard make but it makes for good long-distance walking. Good for cycling too.

I wish they hadn't concreted this bayou. This was intended to be a flood control mechanism, leaving us with concrete ditches that flood anyway. There are projects underway to restore a more natural appearance to the bayous in Houston however. The sooner the better, because this whole stretch here along White Oak Bayou has the potential to be really beautiful.

Look! A hill!

Just picture this without the concrete bayou banks.

Taylor St. bridge.

I've followed White Oak Drive for most of the stretch since crossing over I-45 but I went across this stretch of Usener Street, going off into a neighborhood and straying from the bayou for a bit.

Another pseudo-hill.

Fitzgerald's. Plenty of bands have played here.

There are a lot of great cities in the world, but Houston has to be the only one where I could show you a sign like this with a club/rock concert venue right next to two peaceful-looking houses.

They're damned serious about preservation though. Good on them.

Interesting this is called the Montrose Skate Shop when I'm a couple miles north of Montrose, in Houston Heights and not even that close to Montrose/Studemont/Studewood Boulevard (same street, different names) anymore.

I should pick this up and take it when I go shoot pictures in sketchy neighborhoods; that way if someone comes up to mug me or whatever I can just smack them over the head with a eight-foot-long traffic sign.

Turning right from White Oak Drive onto Heights Boulevard, and drawing closer to the destination for the evening.

Between the evening sun and all the trees, getting clear shots was a little tricky.

This promenade runs down Heights Boulevard.

Houston Heights used to be its own town, but was annexed by Houston in 1919. This is its own downtown of sorts.

Before there was Cinemark...

Time to head back.

The Heights used to be a streetcar suburb - that is, people rode a streetcar from the center of Houston into the Heights, which for most intents and purposes is considered part of the inner city now.

Houston Heights was annexed by Houston in 1919. Today the term "the Heights" is typically understood in Houston to mean Houston Heights, despite other neighborhoods with "Heights" in the name, like Woodland Heights or Independence Heights to the northeast across the North Loop. It was a dry town; per the annexation agreement the alcohol sales restrictions remained and are still in place today in parts of the Heights.

Instead of streetcars we've got buses now.

Riding back downtown, about 8 pm. And they say nobody walks around downtown after work lets out.

Thanks for viewing and reading.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Last edited by SouthByMidwest; Jul 1, 2009 at 3:08 AM. Reason: full-sized images on request...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 1:46 AM
H-town Baller

You mean you took the bus back instead of walking? Isn't that like... cheating or something?

You should be ashamed, nancy boy!

Thanks for including those shots of near north side. Quite a bit of gentrificiation under way--or at least, quite a bit more than what people realize (especially on the western edges of Main Street).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 1:56 AM

hey not bad. looks like a good tour. but i feel the small images will keep people off the thread. i myself feel like i skipped too many photos. i didn't get to see the detail in the beauty of your photos. yes i could open the thumbnail into a larger view, but it's unreasonable for one to expect another one to do that for each image.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 2:08 AM
reticulating splines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Hizzy View Post
You mean you took the bus back instead of walking? Isn't that like... cheating or something?
Maybe, but I got photographic proof that people walk around downtown well after 5 to show for it.

The Near North Side is the Midtown of tomorrow. Unless you've heard it before, you've heard it here first. Great location close to downtown, great skyline views in some spots as you can see. If I had the money to buy property that's one of the parts of town I'd look at, thinking long-term.

Thanks guys.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Maybe, but I got photographic proof that people walk around downtown well after 5 to show for it.

The Near North Side is the Midtown of tomorrow. Unless you've heard it before, you've heard it here first. Great location close to downtown, great skyline views in some spots as you can see. If I had the money to buy property that's one of the parts of town I'd look at, thinking long-term.

Thanks guys.
NO NO NO... the East End is the "midtown of tomorrow". Near North is the Midtown of day after tomorrow, or the East End of tomorrow... whichever way you want to look at it

Great thread, but agreed about the thumbnails. I skipped alot.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 4:35 AM
reticulating splines

I guess everyone who frequents these photo topics are used to pulling up large amounts of big pictures?

I could edit the first post with full sized images if people prefer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I guess everyone who frequents these photo topics are used to pulling up large amounts of big pictures?

I could edit the first post with full sized images if people prefer.
YES

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 10:23 PM
So very tired...

I agree, please use large images. I was skipping lots as the photobucket page was taking too long to load each time. When you post the large photos, we can enjoy the detail of each shot while the rest are loading.

I do love all the character homes near the end. Great stuff...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:56 AM
reticulating splines

Your wishes have been heard, and your wishes have been granted.

Some additional images were added too for good measure.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 10:09 PM

Wow! Great thread!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 2:51 PM

It will be really great to see how the rail line impact the Near North side. It is so ripe for redevelopment.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 10:40 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Great shots! Im liking Houston on foot!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 12:39 AM
reticulating splines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
Great shots! Im liking Houston on foot!
It's a perspective many are unfamiliar with, is it not?

Thanks everyone

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 12:49 AM

Wait, people walking? People riding bikes? Dog walkers? Sidewalks? Historical homes and structures? Outdoor dining facing the street?

This can't be Houston!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 2:58 AM
Closed account

Hard to believe this is the same city that the bashers assault on this forum at every opportunity.

Excellent thread...probably the best in a long time.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 12:06 PM
reticulating splines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Hard to believe this is the same city that the bashers assault on this forum at every opportunity.

Excellent thread...probably the best in a long time.
Part of what I like to do is to show some things about Houston that people aren't too familiar with. I do notice a lot of people say a lot of things and then say they've either never been here before or haven't been here for some >20 years.

It's occurred to me though that I'm one of a few here shooting with a cheapo point-n-shoot. Don't know when it'll be, but when I get some proper gear I should probably redo this tour. Maybe North Main and Quitman will be fully gentrified by then.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:59 PM
Red October standing by

whoa, quite a tour. nice pics, especially the grit and details of the older structures.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:03 AM
Time/Space

Excellent tour in Houston!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 4:21 PM
reticulating splines

Thanks.

It rained yesterday and might rain again today so maybe things will get green enough again that I feel like going out on another tour here soon. I couldn't bring myself to go out amongst the yellowing trees.

Made me really glad I did this shoot when I did. The fact that it wasn't so hot in late May helped too

I think it's getting time to tour the East End...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos