HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 5:21 AM

That's cool, because Taller Is Better!!

Looked at the Planning Committee webpage and the pdf for the meeting doesn't give a new specific height. Guessing that 102 + 3 or 4 meters would get us up to the 345 or maybe 350 foot level. Should be asking for like 5 or 10 storeys more, like go for it!!!

Free Press piece mentions the dreaded 35 storey limit. What pinhead at City Hall came up up with that - I'm also gonna say I bet it is arbitrary. Should be no limit and approval based on case-by-case reasonableness (so yes 70 floors is probably not a good fit). But to set some stupid limit is so London.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 10:59 PM

If any city councilor argues against this they should be fired on the spot for gross stupidity.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:48 PM

Cannot see how this is not approved quickly since they did make the changes requested already.

By "next construction season" I assume they mean they would like to start this spring? That would be amazing if accurate, London needs another company who can produce results like Tricar has shown.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:58 PM

Our city is painful sometimes...were they so busy they could not fit this in and move along? Lets make them wait a month and then likely ask for more changes/recommendations

Politicians opted not to hear a presentation about changes York Developments hopes to make to a planned 30-storey tower at 131 King St. on Monday night, instead pushing a delegation request to the next planning committee meeting later this month

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:47 PM

From the FP:

When asked about the urgency of the pitch, Laverne Kirkness, a consultant representing the company, said his client “definitely wants to start digging that hole on King Street in March.”

That should have been signed, sealed, delivered as first order of business. With a offer from Council to give another 5 floors if you'd like. Maybe shadows are a problem for that portion of the core? </sarcasm>

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:19 PM

Totally agree. The ineptitude of City departments and councilors brings tears to ones eyes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 7:52 PM

PDF for Feb. 19 meeting is up on City Meeting site. Says motion passed 4-0, which is good. I don't know the workings of the city well enough to get if that means its a done deal or it has to go to Council. Maybe someone can confirm.

Document shows new height to roof is 106.5m, which is right about 350 feet. So thats 40 feet more that TD South, and 15 feet more than 515 Richmond. So that will be the 2nd tallest in the city, of everything built or under construction.

Will be great if this gets going soon as the developer alluded to in the Free Press report from a month ago or so.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:56 AM

Interesting that this will be taller given 515 Richmond is going to be 32s. Must have some taller podium floors or penthouse level given 31s is shorter then 32s.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 10:44 PM

Parking lot has now been torn up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 2:43 PM

Is it really happening?!?!?!

Honestly I am most excited that York and Old Oak are building downtown, London needs some competent builders aside from Tricar in the core. It was getting a little sad seeing all these proposals just die while Tricar seemingly was the only one who could actually get shovels in the ground.

I am going to the Knights game Saturday and usually park there so will try and grab a picture if I can.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:07 PM

Drove past the site today, fences up and crews have begun to dig up the parking lot

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:30 PM

Yupe definitely peeling off the asphalt. Have they got a building permit yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcar1994 View Post
Drove past the site today, fences up and crews have begun to dig up the parking lot

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 9:27 PM

They have a piling driver machine on site now. Good sign that excavation work is going to start. Believe this will have 2 levels of underground parking so the pit will be around 20 feet deep when dug out.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
They have a piling driver machine on site now. Good sign that excavation work is going to start. Believe this will have 2 levels of underground parking so the pit will be around 20 feet deep when dug out.
3 Levels of underground parking, plus a 7-foot thick raft slab. so in total, the hole will be 40 feet deep.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
3 Levels of underground parking, plus a 7-foot thick raft slab. so in total, the hole will be 40 feet deep.
Do you know if they will have a public parking level as well, similar to house Renaissance does? Nice to see this seems to be moving ahead quickly

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Do you know if they will have a public parking level as well, similar to house Renaissance does? Nice to see this seems to be moving ahead quickly
Yes, the first level below grade will be public parking, ramping from King Street (above ground parking will be accessed from York Street). There was some pushback from the city for having the public parking coming from king street because they were worried it would interfere with the BRT route. But I think they reversed the decision at the last PEC meeting. Public parking access from York street wouldn't have made any sense..

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:03 PM

Prepping the foundation of building to east of lot today. Will have to shore it up with supports and pilings to keep the building foundation from shifting. They will be excavating for months to get the foundation built. Likely Sept by the time they get 3 levels of underground parking and foundation built.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:43 PM
User Registered

I can see and hear pile driving occurring outside of my office window. Too far away for a decent cell phone camera pic but here's a crop if interested.

Sorry for crappy quality.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:56 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Great shot hal, you just reminded me where exactly this is. I was just guessing earlier, for my knowledge of London's core is limited. This is a great location for a new building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 8:10 PM

Piling machine is on site today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates