HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 4:39 AM

Construction begins on UA cancer center in Phoenix

Quote:
Regents gave final project approval for $100 million cancer center in December, expected date of completion in early 2015

Construction is currently underway for a new UA cancer treatment center located in downtown Phoenix.

The Arizona Board of Regents gave final approval for the $100 million center in December and the first phase of construction began Tuesday.

“From the development of new cancer treatments to economic development for our state, the establishment of the UACC-Phoenix is a milestone event for the landscape of health care in Arizona,”
ABOR director of public affairs Sarah Harper said in an email.

Harper added that the project will include advantages like research programs, education for an increasing number of students in the health field, an enhanced downtown Phoenix area, new jobs and important research expenditures.

The new cancer treatment center will offer the highest standard of care for cancer patients and translational research programs, according to Dr. Thomas Brown, chief operating officer and professor of medicine at the UA Cancer Center. The research will be conducted in labs within the Cancer Center, he added. Brown has been overseeing the cancer center project for about three years now.

Brown said he anticipates that in about 10 years the center will be caring for and treating at least 10 percent of cancer patients in the population of Phoenix.

Although the UA has a National Cancer Institute-recognized center, it is the only one in the state, according to Milton Castillo, senior vice president and chief financial officer of business affairs at the UA. Phoenix is the largest city in the nation that does not have a NCI-designated center and the UA always knew it was going to build one, he added.

Castillo said the process began by finding someone to partner with that could provide a good deal.

In the end, the UA partnered with St. Joseph’s Hospital to create a 20-year affiliation agreement where St. Joseph’s leases the newly constructed facility to the university. St. Joe’s Hospital will manage the outpatient cancer-treatment center. The final documents have yet to be signed but the documents should be finalized within the next couple of weeks, Castillo said.

“One of the advantages is that I think it’s going to vastly improve clinical care and cancer research in the state of Arizona,” Castillo said.

The center will be six stories tall, located on about 1.5 acres of land in downtown Phoenix on Fillmore and 7th streets. The center is anticipated to open in early 2015.
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/m/art...ter-in-phoenix

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I think that the reason Tempe is that way is that there really isn't much beyond ASU as sources of employment. Yes, there is US Airways and other offices, but not anything that could bring a very large work force. Although, I wouldn't really say that having students hasn't enlivened Tempe. Mill Ave. pretty much run on student business, and you can really see that during the summer months. Similarly, with all the new housing being built on Apache, we are seeing Apache get a lot more foot traffic and new businesses..
I believe Chase has 1000 employees or So on Mil/University corner? I live on mill and I'm looking to buy a middle of the road mountain bike and at the north end of Mill Ave there is a bike shop (or appears to be) in the same building as Loco Patron but the shop is a super high end/exclusive triathlon store I am very familiar with the sport, but this store took me back a bit with the unique product/high rent district and fact I didnt the triathlon sport was huge in Tempe,

I remember Abercrombie had a store up on Mill Ave at one time too when I went to ASU. there is a decent amount of vacancy near Mill and 7th st. the entire old Boarders bookstore and the buildings across from Mellow's Mushroom pizza too.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 10:01 PM
BANNED

they are moving a lot of dirt around on the NEC of 7th and Van Buren, and I imagine this is part of the cancer building's fill dirt, but part of me hopes they are building something. Anyone know if ASU or UofA have plans on that corner?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
they are moving a lot of dirt around on the NEC of 7th and Van Buren, and I imagine this is part of the cancer building's fill dirt, but part of me hopes they are building something. Anyone know if ASU or UofA have plans on that corner?
My last understanding was that the Plaza Companies (medical space developer) owned that corner. Not sure if they still do but there were plans for like a 5-7 story medical themed building probably to support companies looking to relocate to the biomedical district. Not sure if they are still going through with it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 2:26 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
I believe Chase has 1000 employees or So on Mil/University corner? I live on mill and I'm looking to buy a middle of the road mountain bike and at the north end of Mill Ave there is a bike shop (or appears to be) in the same building as Loco Patron but the shop is a super high end/exclusive triathlon store I am very familiar with the sport, but this store took me back a bit with the unique product/high rent district and fact I didnt the triathlon sport was huge in Tempe,
I think that triathlon store is located on Mill because so many endurance sports events occur at Tempe Town Lake, not necessarily because the competitors live nearby.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think that triathlon store is located on Mill because so many endurance sports events occur at Tempe Town Lake, not necessarily because the competitors live nearby.
very true @ events taking place at Tempe Town Lake. I am sure the owner did his due diligence/hired consultants but it was a bit shocking to a see a store taking up that much retail space in a class A building selling such a niche product for seasonal events.

it just took me back a minute

I guess I will be at the bike barn on Indian School 36th to pick up a mid level Trek soon

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 8:22 AM

Quote:
very true @ events taking place at Tempe Town Lake. I am sure the owner did his due diligence/hired consultants but it was a bit shocking to a see a store taking up that much retail space in a class A building selling such a niche product for seasonal events.
Training for triathletes and endurance is huge in Phoenix/Tempe. The store is a great complement to athletic training facilities in the area like Athlete's Performance and the Phoenix Triathlon Club. There is also Olympic training going on at ASU so athletes there probably love the store being close by.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:

it just took me back a minute

I guess I will be at the bike barn on Indian School 36th to pick up a mid level Trek soon
You should buy that mid level bike wherever you want, because even a high end shop will be glad to order and sell you a cheap bike.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:21 PM

Check out slide six for Downtown campus Master Plan.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:45 PM

Edited out thanks to Arquitect's explanation. Note to others- don't try and load on an iPad (probably common sense). I'll throw some real thoughts into a new post after viewing the real thing.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Feb 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Is anything on slide 6, or is it mainly slide 7/8? Can't tell if it's just not downloading correctly. Any highlights?

From slides 7 and 8, I'm disappointed to see the Law School superblock. I thought recent articles indicated half would be for the School, and the rest would go toward residential. These massive superblocks all over downtown kill any momentum, and one that is solely dedicated to classroom space will be one of the worst. The focus of future downtown ASU development needs to be on integrating these classrooms and Schools into the urban, City of Phoenix, downtown fabric. These buildings need to be truly mixed-use, and I don't mean throwing a Starbucks into the corner. I mean integrating office space, market-rate residential, true retail and community spaces to bring a diverse mix of people into the picture.

This was the former Ramada, correct? A shame that a hotel with rich history that could have brought a unique opportunity to house retail, residential and/or hotel in a distinct building architecturally destroyed to make way for this.

Disclaimer: having the law school downtown is GREAT! I just want this campus to be done in the ring way, because it has so much damn potential.

Did you notice any new residential at all in the plan? Any chance ASU would extend south at all - perhaps leasing space in some of the historic buildings (NOT Hotel Monroe, please) - and was midtown ever considered? I almost feel that midtown might have been a better option for some of these: cool, midrise buildings with little impact on street life. (not being all that serious)

I believe you read it wrong. It is on slide 7 and if you look closely, on the left it has the existing condition of the downtown campus and on the right the proposed. The blue buildings are the proposed academic space, of which the law school only takes up half of its block, with another academic building also being proposed, but most importantly the yellow is new student housing. So the block would have 3 different building. What is also exciting is that beyond the law school and a few other buildings, it seems like ASU is planning to start developing buildings over 10 stories!!! As well as filling up the empty lots on the blocks that already have buildings.

It will be quite exciting, looks like it would add a considerable amount of residences to the area, and it would make the area a lot denser!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 8:19 PM

Perfect, thanks! I'm trying to load it on my iPad and most of the slides are blank/not loaded at all. The only one I was seeing just shows some buildings outlined in blue, and the entire Law School block outlined in a dotted line.

I was getting worried, but figured I had to be missing something!

Now that I've seen it on a desktop, some observations:
1) Great to see more indication that the Law School site will indeed contain other buldings with other uses; excited for the taller residential hall that is shown.
3) Beyond a third Taylor Place 'tower' and the residence hall adjacent to the Law School, it looks like we'll be looking toward the private sector to meet any extra demand; that's definitely not a bad thing, as long as it eventually happens. Mixing in market rate residential will be a huge benefit as the student population mixes with younger professionals, urban-minded boomers, etc.
4) I wish we could get a sense of what these buildings might look like from the ground level - my earlier point of wanting some true mixed use and retail that can and will be used by the entire community still holds true.
5) The thought of seeing development occur on several prominent parking lots in the area makes me SO excited - having to wait for silly things like funding is just unfair.
6) I was under the impression that ASU owned the land/parking lots across from Amsterdam/Palazzo and next to the Public Market, as well as some land to the west of 1st ave. So, that's one disappointing thing I saw... IIRC, nothing is planned. Regardless of whomever owns the land across from Amsterdam, I'd really love to see some development and create a nice entertainment node that builds off that strip of bar and helps connect it to Roosevelt, Moira, Bliss, etc.

Fun stuff, though.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Feb 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Perfect, thanks! I'm trying to load it on my iPad and most of the slides are blank/not loaded at all. The only one I was seeing just shows some buildings outlined in blue, and the entire Law School block outlined in a dotted line.

I was getting worried, but figured I had to be missing something!

Now that I've seen it on a desktop, some observations:
1) Great to see more indication that the Law School site will indeed contain other buldings with other uses; excited for the taller residential hall that is shown.
3) Beyond a third Taylor Place 'tower' and the residence hall adjacent to the Law School, it looks like we'll be looking toward the private sector to meet any extra demand; that's definitely not a bad thing, as long as it eventually happens. Mixing in market rate residential will be a huge benefit as the student population mixes with younger professionals, urban-minded boomers, etc.
4) I wish we could get a sense of what these buildings might look like from the ground level - my earlier point of wanting some true mixed use and retail that can and will be used by the entire community still holds true.
5) The thought of seeing development occur on several prominent parking lots in the area makes me SO excited - having to wait for silly things like funding is just unfair.
6) I was under the impression that ASU owned the land/parking lots across from Amsterdam/Palazzo and next to the Public Market, as well as some land to the west of 1st ave. So, that's one disappointing thing I saw... IIRC, nothing is planned. Regardless of whomever owns the land across from Amsterdam, I'd really love to see some development and create a nice entertainment node that builds off that strip of bar and helps connect it to Roosevelt, Moira, Bliss, etc.

Fun stuff, though.
ASU actually doesn't own any of the land. It is all owned by the city of Phoenix, and they are letting ASU develop it. It is a complicated arrangement since I don't fully understand how it works.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 10:04 PM

University of Arizona breaks ground on new cancer treatment center in downtown Phoenix

Quote:
The University of Arizona broke ground Thursday on a new cancer center at Saint Joseph Medical Center. The downtown Phoenix clinic will be a second hub for the University of Arizona’s nationally designated Comprehensive Cancer Center for the Southwest region, which is centered in Tuscon.

Marcia Gruber, the University of Arizona cancer center’s vice president in Phoenix, says that the new facility will provide services to “take care of the whole spectrum of the disease from cancer prevention, to cancer diagnosis, to cancer treatment, and to the treatment of cancer survivors.”

The University of Arizona is providing the bulk of the funding for the $100 million project. The City of Phoenix is throwing in about $14 million. Gruber says the new facility will create some 400 jobs in Phoenix.

The project has been in the works for more than five years, and the clinic is expected to be up and running by 2015.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:36 AM

Work begins on cancer clinic to be run by UA, St. Joseph’s

Quote:
The University of Arizona Cancer Center and St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center broke ground Thursday on a $100 million outpatient cancer-treatment clinic in downtown Phoenix.

“This building is a location, a location for groundbreaking research and treatment of cancer for the citizens of Arizona,” UA President Ann Weaver Hart said. “This is a place where patients can come and have access to the best new treatments available in our country and around the world.”

The facility will offer treatment such as radiation oncology and diagnostic imaging.

The 220,000-square-foot clinic is set to open in 2015 at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, which includes medical programs from UA, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University.

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the clinic will boost the economy and offer high-paying jobs in a growing field.

“Without a doubt, our investment and employment on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus has been enormously beneficial to creating the kind of 21st-century economy that Phoenix needs for our citizens, our region and our entire state,” he said.

Linda Hunt, president and CEO of Dignity Health Arizona, the parent organization of St. Joseph’s, said the collaboration will take both partners to “new heights” in cancer treatment.

For Dr. David Alberts, director of the UA Cancer Center, the facility is a 23-year dream in the making. Alberts said he lost his grandparents and mother to cancer.

“Cancer is a devastatingly personal disease that literally spares no family,” Alberts said.

The UA Cancer Center, the only comprehensive cancer facility based in Arizona, is one of 41 comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health.

“Today, the cancer center begins to fulfill its promise to the state of Arizona ... that we would be the cancer center for the state of Arizona,” Alberts said.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...t-josephs.html

Pretty good renderings on their site:

http://www.phoenixcancercenter.org/images.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 7:22 PM

USGD in process of approving bicycle locker for downtown campus

Quote:
The Downtown campus student government is currently in the proposal phase of approving a bicycle locker for the downtown campus in addition to renovating the current racks on Taylor Mall.

USGD is considering a $70,000 plan to enhance bike locking and storage options by creating a separate and secure gated area for students in the University Center garage.

An increase in students brought a need for more bike racks, along with the need for safety provisions to decrease bicycle theft, USGD Vice President of Policy David Bakardjiev said.

The project will be approved by the end of this semester, in production by next semester and finished by the end of next semester, Bakardjiev said.

“It promotes community engagement,” Bakardjiev said. “Just having this might be an excuse for students to have a bike, now that they feel safer.”

Director of Administration Jacob Meshke said that the new bike locker will fit up to 80 bicycles, with possible safety features such as security cameras and a door activated by Sun Cards.

But the updated features will come a cost; although nothing is determined, the fee will likely be somewhere between $20-$25 per month.

“I find it hard to put my bike anywhere because it’s crowded,” health sciences junior Brittany Barbarisi said. “But I probably wouldn’t pay for the locker.”

Social work grad student Chris Harris said that he might pay the fee, but it depends on the quality of security.

“An insurance policy is ideal,” Harris said, who suggested a set of different plans for students to choose from with separate benefits in terms of security or theft coverage.

Others, like human nutrition senior Christopher Bradshaw, believe the new bike lockers are unnecessary and there is plenty of place to add more bike racks between the existing racks at Taylor Mall.

“I have never had a problem with theft or space,” Bradshaw said. “But I wouldn’t want to put my bike in (the locker) even if you needed a Sun Card, because someone could just walk inside.”

There have been 14 reported bike thefts during the fall semester on the downtown campus alone, Commander Christopher Speranza of the ASU Police Department said.

Speranza believes the number of thefts on the downtown campus is below the national average for college campuses, but he said just one bicycle theft is too many.

To eliminate future thefts, Speranza recommends students to register their bikes with the ASU Police Department and to use both a U-lock and cable lock for securing bicycles.

“It is a lot harder to defeat two locks instead of one,” Speranza said.
I'm surprised this hasn't been thought for the Tempe campus considering the high volume of bike theft over there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:07 PM

Is there residential in the long-term plans for the Bio campus, or is that just assumed to be handled solely by private developers on nearby lots once the demand is there (as more workers enter the area)? As another structure gets underway (the Cancer Center), I can't help but think it's a huge miss that there is such a dearth of market-rate options for workers. I think residential would create a nice buffer between the campus and retail/bars/etc. in the Roosevelt area, too.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Is there residential in the long-term plans for the Bio campus, or is that just assumed to be handled solely by private developers on nearby lots once the demand is there (as more workers enter the area)? As another structure gets underway (the Cancer Center), I can't help but think it's a huge miss that there is such a dearth of market-rate options for workers. I think residential would create a nice buffer between the campus and retail/bars/etc. in the Roosevelt area, too.
ASU does plan to add more dorms, and Roosevelt Point is being built to house not only the student population in downtown, but also young professionals in the Bio campus. That being said, as the center grows, there will be a greater demand for housing, especially non-student housing. I know of a couple of developers that are looking at the area for residential projects. There is nothing solid yet, but my best guess is that we might see many of those empty lots north of the Bio campus filling up in the next 5 years.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 6:06 PM

Photo of the Rec Facility from ASU Business-Finance:

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:04 AM

Quote:
In expanding its presence in downtown Phoenix, Arizona State University has inked a deal to move into a new office space at the Arizona Center sometime next year, according to a statement Wednesday by the Phoenix office of Cassidy Turley.

ASU has signed a five-year lease for a 33,522-square-foot office space in the center — located adjacent to its downtown campus at the northeast corner of Van Buren and 3rd streets — that will be utilized for both administrative and classroom use, although it was unclear exactly what kinds.

“The added classroom and administrative space will be a win-win for both ASU and for building ownership, CommonWealth REIT,” said Tyler Wilson, a Cassidy Turley agent who represented the landlord, CommonWealth REIT, in the statement. “The space will be located above the retail at Arizona Center and will further solidify the property’s standing as a Class-A mixed-use environment. This is certainly an exciting deal for downtown Phoenix.”

Arizona Center is an upscale 1 million-square-foot mixed-use project comprised of office, retail, dining and entertainment venue tenants. The development opened about 23 years ago and the portion occupied by AMC Theaters was added in 1998.

CommonWealth REIT (NYSE: CWH) — a Massachusetts-based real estate investment trust that boasts a $7.3 billion-portfolio of primarily office and industrial properties across 31 states, Washington and Australia — purchased Arizona Center in March 2011 for $136.5 million, marking one of the largest real estate transactions in the state at the time since the start of the Great Recession.

According to the REIT’s website, CommonWealth has three other property holdings in Arizona: Anasazi Plaza II, a 109,961-square-foot office building near Shea and Tatum boulevards in Phoenix; a 236,007-square-foot industrial building in Tolleson; and One South Church Avenue, a 23-story office high rise in Tucson.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-phoenix.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest