HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 8:58 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Alps, did you happen to get any photos of the front of the terminal building itself? Last time I was out there in March it was night and I didn't get a chance to see the front well at all.

Also- I've been informed they are going to have the road continuing up along the side by Petro Can as well and the work is supposedly going to start when the hotel starts.

I heard that a year or so back ... not sure if that is holding true or not. Guess we'll have to see.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Alps, did you happen to get any photos of the front of the terminal building itself? Last time I was out there in March it was night and I didn't get a chance to see the front well at all.

Also- I've been informed they are going to have the road continuing up along the side by Petro Can as well and the work is supposedly going to start when the hotel starts.

I heard that a year or so back ... not sure if that is holding true or not. Guess we'll have to see.
Here's the best I can do...they seem to be extending the domestic arrivals facade to meet the greenish bit.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 1:12 PM

No weekly parking eh? I have to say, I'm not that impressed that I still have to park outside if I'm gone for more than a few days. So next Christmas I'll still be dragging my bags through snowbanks and shoving out my car as usual.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 10:48 AM

The parkade looks great, hopefully I'll get a chance to use it before it starts smelling like pee, like all parking garages eventually do.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 6:31 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnightingale View Post
The parkade looks great, hopefully I'll get a chance to use it before it starts smelling like pee, like all parking garages eventually do.
Haha, made me think of that episode of Seinfeld...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 9:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I guess I'll get to see it in a month or two.

The airport is definitely getting nicer but it still looks hacked together.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I guess I'll get to see it in a month or two.

The airport is definitely getting nicer but it still looks hacked together.

I wish they maintianed the same color glass to what was already there. I know the green glass in the in thing these days but like someone123 said it looks hacked together.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 11:14 PM

Considering where the Airport's been though, it's come a long way. The people that run it have really been making the difference there.

Would that Halifax had an Airport like Ottawa... but damn, nobody's got an Airport like that.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I wish they maintianed the same color glass to what was already there. I know the green glass in the in thing these days but like someone123 said it looks hacked together.
nice observation Haliguy, what you said is very true.....the new parking lot in itself is aesthetically fairly impressive....compared to the how bad and cheap it might have been...to bad the hotel is going to look like something out of the bad part of northern mississauga ....I do think the management is putting in a lot of effort, and considering what the had to start with, i think they are doing a satisfactory job...

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:15 PM

I was out to the Airport this morning and boy is it starting to look nice!

I really like the parkade and the new facade for the terminal building looks very nice.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:10 AM
opinionated so and so

As I recall, all the airports that took our volume or more got big money for renovations right before the Feds handed over control to local authorities...

All except ours. The OLD Ottawa airport was as nice as ours, the new one is just amazing.

Ours is coming along though, I do like the parkade, I do like arrivals. At the end of the day, we still cram 2.7 million visitors down that hallway between checking and boarding, a 6-8 meter wide corridor that has been the same damn bottleneck since the place was opened, and originally designed for 700K people a year.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
At the end of the day, we still cram 2.7 million visitors down that hallway between checking and boarding, a 6-8 meter wide corridor that has been the same damn bottleneck since the place was opened, and originally designed for 700K people a year.
Even worse its now 3.6 million per year. Maybe the next project will be re-doing the domestic check-in facade, because you know it wouldn't feel like the Halifax airport if there wasn't constant construction.
The only problem with trying to widen and heighten the domestic check-in area to match the rest of the terminal is that there are offices above it. It would be nice though if the terminal had a somewhat uniform look from one end to the other on the inside and out.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
As I recall, all the airports that took our volume or more got big money for renovations right before the Feds handed over control to local authorities...

All except ours. The OLD Ottawa airport was as nice as ours, the new one is just amazing.

Ours is coming along though, I do like the parkade, I do like arrivals. At the end of the day, we still cram 2.7 million visitors down that hallway between checking and boarding, a 6-8 meter wide corridor that has been the same damn bottleneck since the place was opened, and originally designed for 700K people a year.
You mean 3.7 million vistors.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are plans to extend the skywalk path from the parkade the ends up in the center of the terminal directly to the U.S. Preclearance area?

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Does anyone know if there are plans to extend the skywalk path from the parkade the ends up in the center of the terminal directly to the U.S. Preclearance area?
I don't know what the plans are inside the terminal, however I don't think that it is likely since there is an open air skywalk near the north end (arrivals/U.S. preclearance) that is basically in direct line to the escalators/elevators for the U.S. check-in counters.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I don't know what the plans are inside the terminal, however I don't think that it is likely since there is an open air skywalk near the north end (arrivals/U.S. preclearance) that is basically in direct line to the escalators/elevators for the U.S. check-in counters.
Yah thats actually the one I used today.

A completely covered one would be nice for the nasty weather days Halifax is notorious for though.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 2:56 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Yah thats actually the one I used today.

A completely covered one would be nice for the nasty weather days Halifax is notorious for though.
We have to give those americans and other foriegners a taste of real weather at some point lol, may as well be as they are just getting here or just leaving haha..

The main covered pedway will be open eventually... They've got finishing touches to do on it inside, which of course are on hold till they get the rest of the new part of the terminal all done up, then afterwards all they have to do is link in the hotel and BAM! covered conveneince! lol

I really REALLY hope they will work on the domestic end of the airport after all the current stuff is done, or start progress once some stuff finishes up... I mean, it kind of makes sense, they are working on the parking lot AND that end of the terminal all at the same time, to keep construction somewhat localized, so who knows, we may see improvement to the domestic check in when they start the hotel.

Besides, if they are to to work within guidlines for improvement for coming years with increasing air traffic, I DO beleive from what I saw in the future growth strategy documents I got a chance to look at a while back that the terminal will be extended down along the entrance road, before where the old section starts now when you turn left to drive parallel to the front of the terminal.

I could see eventually with growth happening out there that a new domestic check in/arrivals area could be constructed along that section of the road at a 90* to the current building, and the old domestic check in area would become a check in to other airline companies (I wish) I doubt that'll happen for a while... but who knows!

..phew lol

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

My only wish for the airport is that they get rid of those tacky and embarrassing models in the baggage area.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
Crane Goddess

Which models? The model of the MacKay Bridge is actually pretty cool.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:27 PM

In a tacky sort of way

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure