HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:35 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Probably not as bad as you might think. Hollywood is further along in the development and gentrification process than Downtown, so these have a higher probability of happening, I think, than, say, if they were built in the latter area.
How do you figure?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Probably not as bad as you might think. Hollywood is further along in the development and gentrification process than Downtown, so these have a higher probability of happening, I think, than, say, if they were built in the latter area.
Hollywood also has a much higher concentration of NIMBYs than Downtown. So while they are certainly further along in the gentrification process, you also have a lot of older people who have been living there for a long time and don't want to see anything taller than two floors go up.

Last edited by blackcat23; Feb 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:18 PM

Downtown is doing spectacular, yes. But really, other than Wilshire Grand, which isn't even out of the ground yet, how many proposed projects on the scale of Millenium Hollywood have we heard any news on lately? And no, i dont think Courtyard Marriott and 888 Olive are on the same scale. Despite the supposed lack of NIMBYs Downtown, we have yet to see little, if any progress on projects like Metropolis or LA Central (although I have a feeling that'll change sooner than we think).

There's also a lot less dead zones and old buildings in Hollywood than Downtown to go through before building taller buildings like this.

Believe me, I'm probably more optimistic about DTLA (both in the short term and long term) than anyone else on this forum. But for now, I think Hollywood's transformation seems more "complete".

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:30 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Downtown is doing spectacular, yes. But really, other than Wilshire Grand, which isn't even out of the ground yet, how many proposed projects on the scale of Millenium Hollywood have we heard any news on lately? And no, i dont think Courtyard Marriott and 888 Olive are on the same scale. Despite the supposed lack of NIMBYs Downtown, we have yet to see little, if any progress on projects like Metropolis or LA Central (although I have a feeling that'll change sooner than we think).

There's also a lot less dead zones and old buildings in Hollywood than Downtown to go through before building taller buildings like this.

Believe me, I'm probably more optimistic about DTLA (both in the short term and long term) than anyone else on this forum. But for now, I think Hollywood's transformation seems more "complete".
So because Hollywood has a pair of tall buildings proposed means that they are further ahead of downtown as far as gentrification goes?

Hollywood still has a ways to go. As does downtown but downtown is much further ahead of Hollywood in many regards.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
So because Hollywood has a pair of tall buildings proposed means that they are further ahead of downtown as far as gentrification goes?

Hollywood still has a ways to go. As does downtown but downtown is much further ahead of Hollywood in many regards.
Despite both being on the upswing, they have very different vibes. Downtown has a more urban, old-school city feel and benefits from development happening all around the area, in a non-linear way. Hollywood can feel more active for sure, and has a ton more retail, but most of the development is along Hollywood blvd (at least around the Highland to Vine area) and some on Sunset.

What I like is that both of these areas are moving forward. It's a great thing.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:25 PM

I'll agree that the Hollywood renaissance, though geographically much more limited, packs a bigger punch than most of downtown LA. The Hollywood/Vine area is pretty solid, and is only going to get much better with Blvd 6200. Cahuenga Boulevard also looks great these days, and in my opinion has a more diverse and generally better collection of local eateries and bars than say, Spring Street. All that said, I do tend to spend a lot more time downtown these days.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I'll agree that the Hollywood renaissance, though geographically much more limited, packs a bigger punch than most of downtown LA. The Hollywood/Vine area is pretty solid, and is only going to get much better with Blvd 6200. Cahuenga Boulevard also looks great these days, and in my opinion has a more diverse and generally better collection of local eateries and bars than say, Spring Street. All that said, I do tend to spend a lot more time downtown these days.
But it's not just Spring - it's Main, it's 6th, 7th, Fig, all of Little Tokyo and parts of the Arts District. All walkable. Downtown just has more of a real city vibe to it. When I go over to that part of Hollywood it feels busy for sure, but more touristy. And one of the great things about living downtown is that when I want to go to Hollywood, I just take the metro. It's way too easy. To use a NYC comparison - it's like Midtown vs the Lower East side, both have their place.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:53 PM

I think DTLA is solid and would live there in a heartbeat. That said, I drove down Hollywood, last week, and the last time I saw a small precinct, as teeming with life as Hollywood and Vine, was Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:02 PM
Ascension

From the Wilshire Grand Facebook page:

Quote:
Wilshire Grand will be holding a press conference unveiling the design of the new luxury flagship hotel on Thursday, 2:30pm at the JW Marriott!!!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
From the Wilshire Grand Facebook page:
Great news! I was getting a tad anxious.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:23 PM
Ascension

I meant to post that in the downtown thread. Whoops.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:

If you count the western end of Hollywood, there is a lot more going on than just the Millennium Project. There are three very large mixed-users going up between Santa Monica and Fountain on La Brea, BLVD 6200, 1800 Whitley (filling in the 2nd-to-last hole in the Yucca Corridor), plus non-development things like Yucca Bike Street.

Hard to say it is at the same level as DTLA but it is doing its best to keep stride for stride

As far as the Millennium project, as a Hollywood resident I think the proposed height may look a little silly in context with the rest of the neighborhood since the other nearby towers are quite short. I would prefer to see them about at the height of the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchitup View Post
As far as the Millennium project, as a Hollywood resident I think the proposed height may look a little silly in context with the rest of the neighborhood since the other nearby towers are quite short. I would prefer to see them about at the height of the rendering.
I posted the renderings on /r/LosAngeles to gauge the reaction of non-skyscraper aficionados, and was surprised to see so many negative comments. I'm really hoping the city approves it with the current height regardless of public opinion, as it will really set a new precedent in Hollywood. I imagine people will get used to it quickly.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:08 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I posted the renderings on /r/LosAngeles to gauge the reaction of non-skyscraper aficionados, and was surprised to see so many negative comments. I'm really hoping the city approves it with the current height regardless of public opinion, as it will really set a new precedent in Hollywood. I imagine people will get used to it quickly.
It's Reddit. What did you expect?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Never noticed that Reddit had any particular NIMBY tendencies before - its a pretty standard cross section of the general population these days. Maybe its skews slightly liberal and young, but definitely not "NIMBYish".

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:18 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Never noticed that Reddit had any particular NIMBY tendencies before - its a pretty standard cross section of the general population these days. Maybe its skews slightly liberal and young, but definitely not "NIMBYish".
Not NIMBY, just negative.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Not NIMBY, just negative.
Compared to Curbed, its a beacon of positive energy.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:38 AM
:o

Let me guess, they complained about traffic?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
No matter how they are built, they will undoubtedly be held up as a beacon of all that is wrong with the Hollywood Community Plan, even though most NIMBYs conveniently leave out the fact that height was already allowed under the current plan.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I refrain from posting most development news there. We have to accept that a majority of the people aren't as interested in development news so they just resort to a knee-jerk reaction which is either: "OMG THE TRAFFIC IS GONNA BE SOOO BAD WITH THIS NEW PROJECT!!" or "Palmer's work around DTLA is awesome!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations