HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
I think that TNSE has credibility...plus they have critical investments to protect. I have no doubt they have a sensitivity to the problems and genuinely want to help.
I am curious though, if what is happening at Air Canada park moved or expanded to True North Square, how would TNSE respond. I doubt they would allow it to fester.
Considering the plan is a 24 hour walk in clinic and a drop-in centre they won't do anything.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 9:36 PM

I said True North Square...off Hargrave and Graham. I am wondering if they would accept what has happened to Air Canada park on their property at True North Square.
I expect they would have regular security ensure there was no such gathering.
Frankly what has happened to ACP is really breathtaking...in the worst possible way.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
I said True North Square...off Hargrave and Graham. I am wondering if they would accept what has happened to Air Canada park on their property at True North Square.
I expect they would have regular security ensure there was no such gathering.
Frankly what has happened to ACP is really breathtaking...in the worst possible way.
My mistake. There is not enough foot traffick at true north square, less people to harrass for change so no one hangs out there. I'm sure they have their issues there too though.

Yeah, what I saw out there yesterday was really sad. That will all move over a block to the drop-in centre and recreational areas to the new portage place.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 10:10 PM

^ It feels like we can have a pretty drab, run down main drag without spending hundreds of millions more dollars (on top of what was already spent on Portage Place the first time around) to achieve the result.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 10:23 PM

Honestly ACP is nowhere near as bad as all the xenophobic types on here want you to believe. It’s certainly not refined but it sure isn’t some kind of apocalyptic no-go zone. Honestly this subthread is truly lame as fuck. Stay in the suburbs if you are this afraid of people congregating who don’t live like you.

Last edited by WinCitySparky; May 23, 2023 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Considering the plan is a 24 hour walk in clinic and a drop-in centre they won't do anything.
Thankfully, you are not taken seriously on the forum.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Honestly ACP is nowhere near as bad as all the xenophobic types on here want you to believe. It’s certainly not refined but it sure isn’t some kind of apocalyptic no-go zone. Honestly this subthread is truly lame as fuck. Stay in the suburbs if you are this afraid of people congregating who don’t live like you.
What is lame AF is the accusations of Xenophobia. More personal attacks as usual. Just like that other idiot talking about mass executions. This is why nothing will ever get done in Winnipeg, everyone is afraid of having these types of accusations thrown at them and it usually works.

I will stop and take pics of the trash and filth all over the place for you.

Last edited by Luisito; May 23, 2023 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Thankfully, you are not taken seriously on the forum.
Thankfully, I don't give a shit.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:53 PM

Quote:
What is lame AF is the accusations of Xenophobia. More personal attacks as usual. Just like that other idiot talking about mass executions. This is why nothing will ever get done in Winnipeg, everyone is afraid of having these types of accusations thrown at them and it usually works.

Why don’t you help clean it up instead? Honestly. Do something useful and proactive instead of sucking the life out of a conversation.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Why don’t you help clean it up instead? Honestly. Do something useful and proactive instead of sucking the life out of a conversation.
Sucking the life out of a conversation by being honest? Sorry for wanting better for Winnipeg instead of the status quo.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:19 AM

In Montreal right now and the social issues are just as bad if not worse then what I see in Peg. It reeks of piss everywhere but that might be a French thing.

I thought Downtown would prepare me but I’m really surprised how sketch the city feels at night. We gotta stop pretending these issues are nonexistent in other cities. We as residents have to live with the reality that homelessness and drug addiction will never go away. Rather how do we mitigate it or keep one’s eyes away from it.

In Montreal I’m sure y’all know it’s camouflages by the general vibrancy, easy transit access, and critical mass of residents in the area as well as tourists. Winnipeg might not be able to get tourists but everything else is fair game.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:25 AM

^ Montreal is a bit unusual in the sense that the seedy underbelly and the refined, genteel society exist side by side, or even in layers.

I remember visiting Montreal for the first time as a kid in 1992, even as a Winnipegger I found it pretty sketchy. Mind you, the city was really down at the heels then, it has improved since then. But I'm not surprised that the sketchiness is still there. As you point out it is hidden to some extent by the large numbers of people going about their daily business... there are enough to keep various stores, attractions and other such contributors to downtown liveliness afloat.

By contrast, we have the sketchiness, but nowhere near as many of the ordinary people carrying on with things.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
In Montreal right now and the social issues are just as bad if not worse then what I see in Peg. It reeks of piss everywhere but that might be a French thing.

I thought Downtown would prepare me but I’m really surprised how sketch the city feels at night. We gotta stop pretending these issues are nonexistent in other cities. We as residents have to live with the reality that homelessness and drug addiction will never go away. Rather how do we mitigate it or keep one’s eyes away from it.

In Montreal I’m sure y’all know it’s camouflages by the general vibrancy, easy transit access, and critical mass of residents in the area as well as tourists. Winnipeg might not be able to get tourists but everything else is fair game.
interesting. I actually moved to Winnipeg from Montreal. One of the first things that struck me about Winnipeg was the amount of people asking for change and cigarretes on Portage. In Montreal I could walk along st catherines from Guy to St Denis and not have a single person ask me for anything. Crime and violence is also much worse here. I used to walk home early in the morning never had any issues. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about downtown Winnipeg. Montreal is the safest big city I have ever been to.

I don't think anyone is saying problems don't exist elsewhere because they most certainly do, but for a city this size things are really bad. We should not be comforted by problems elsewhere but focus on the problems here at home. We need to avoid making the same mistakes over and over again.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:57 AM

Quote:
interesting. I actually moved to Winnipeg from Montreal. One of the first things that struck me about Winnipeg was the amount of people asking for change and cigarretes on Portage. In Montreal I could walk along st catherines from Guy to St Denis and not have a single person ask me for anything. Crime and violence is also much worse here. I used to walk home early in the morning never had any issues. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about downtown Winnipeg. Montreal is the safest big city I have ever been to.

I don't think anyone is saying problems don't exist elsewhere because they most certainly do, but for a city this size things are really bad. We should not be comforted by problems elsewhere but focus on the problems here at home. We need to avoid making the same mistakes over and over again.
To be clear this is not a criticism of Montreal. I am having a splendid time to say the least.

I just find it fascinating how in the large Canadian cities that vibrancy still exists but the social issues are right in front of your face.

So while we absolutely should focus on the problems at home, I think it’s important to see how other places with larger populations and more resources are addressing these problems. More often then not it’s camouflaged rather then tackling the root causes, or the root causes are being addressed but the timeframe for it to have tangible results is a decades long process.

But since our Downtown is dead after 5pm we are stuck with the situation seen today. Will this Portage Place development have any effect is a big old question mark.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 2:44 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

I just find it fascinating how in the large Canadian cities that vibrancy still exists but the social issues are right in front of your face.
Yeah that's a good point. I haven't been back to MTL in awhile so I don't know what the streets are like these days. When I first moved to MTL there was a lot of street prostitution and strip clubs. That was one of the biggest social issues i remember, bu they have managed to clean alot of that up. A lot of the bars have closed and the street prostitution has disappeared. My guess is a lot of it has probably moved to online services. It would be interesting to know how they have tackled this problem over there.

Quote:
But since our Downtown is dead after 5pm we are stuck with the situation seen today. Will this Portage Place development have any effect is a big old question mark.
Despite my skepticism, I actually hope the portage place redevolpment works out.

Have a good time in MTL. If you like roasted chicken try "coco ricos" on St laurent. Try their roasted potaotoes too.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sucking the life out of a conversation by being honest? Sorry for wanting better for Winnipeg instead of the status quo.
Then what are your suggestions? What do you want done with PP? Who do you think will do it? What do we do with the homeless/addicted people we see downtown?

Oh, and..... "other idiot"? NOW who's "getting personal"? I thought we were friends, man....

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 8:01 PM

Quote:

You're a racist P.O.S endlessly on here. You got called out for it. Deal with it.

Your attempted subtlety is laughable at best. Sorry there is some struggling Indigenous people downtown. Stay at Earls and keep creeping on waitresses, chud.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Hey Lusi where are those photos you promised?

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
You're a racist P.O.S endlessly on here. You got called out for it. Deal with it.

Your attempted subtlety is laughable at best. Sorry there is some struggling Indigenous people downtown. Stay at Earls and keep creeping on waitresses, chud.

Thank you for proving my point.

We see this nonsense all the time. People were asking for security on transit for years, we can't do that because it's racist. It took some one getting killed before more security was put in place at the library downtown and even then people cried racism. There was a company interested in redeveloping portage place, we can't do that because it's racist, unless we get our gathering space then it's OK.

The accusation of racism has lost its value. It's now a term for some to use against those they disagree with or say things that trigger them. I stand by my comment about the drop in centre's. It's a terrible idea to put right downtown on portage.

I have never been to Earls. Is it any good?

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutherteller View Post
Hey Lusi where are those photos you promised?
LOL Give me a few days and I'll get them for you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan