HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 4:49 AM
Concerned Citizen

Well, I hope I am proven wrong in my assumptions about this city. But chances are my assumptions will prove correct.
I have been here all my life and I too was once a twenty something idealist. I at one time spent alot of time at city hall serving on commitees and volunteering my time for the betterment of the community. I would still be involved if I had the time. Unfortunately work and other resposibilities don't allow for that.

By the way, don't take everything I say too seriously, from time to time I like to stimulate debate with a few off the cuff remarks just to see what people have to say. I think it's worked. Unfortunately, the people that will need to be convinced will never read your responses, since they probably don't even know this site exists.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 1:03 PM

I'd like to challenge some assumptions that Bigguy1231 made in that last post:

- Most people here are not in their twenties. Many of the contributors have children and families.
- Stimulating debate doesn't happen by stating generalities based on assumptions and hoping that other people believe you based on your word.
- At least 2 city councillors read these forums.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 5:12 PM
Needs more coffee...

Adam makes some excellent points (although children/families and being in one's twenties aren't mutually exclusive... how far are we extending adolescence these days? 35 is the new 14...) Anyhow, it's true that most posters here are not in their twenties, as well as his other points.

If you're just interested in discussion on the topic, there's plenty of prior discussion to refer to instead of wasting the time of forumers whom (as a courtesy!) are specifically answering your questions.

Every single thing in these posts has already been said elsewhere on the forum. Every one of those questions has already been asked by many people in the community, in many forums of discussion besides online.

Honest discussion and inquiry is fine. If one has honest concerns, questions, problems - there are many here who will be kind enough to help gather information. But making "off-the-cuff" remarks that aren't meant "seriously" but to "stimulate discussion" just wastes everyone's time and detracts from other discussions that could be happening.

Last edited by emge; Apr 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy