HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wouldn't mind her. I know she supports creating a Chinatown district/BIA.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
Women are too smart to go into politics.
My uncle told me when I was younger "Anyone smart enough to be a politician is smart enough to stay out of politics."

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:21 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Wouldn't mind her. I know she supports creating a Chinatown district/BIA.
Oh, where? Would it have cool Chinatown gates?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:36 PM

it's not for lack of candidates; Geraldine McMullen and Nancy Fiorentino are both strong candidates in ward 9. Brenda Cox-Graham too in 12 and Brenda johnson in 11, all would be good. So why aren't they going to win? Is it gender or just the incumbent's advantage?

As for minorities, the only case i can see where that will play a role is Bedi in ward 5. Collins looks weak against pretty much anyone on earth, but there isn't exactly overwhelming competition. But I could see people picking Collins over Bedi because of his anglo-saxon name, and that's disconcerting.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 9:15 PM

Of the 86 people who put their names up as candidates, only 14 are women. That's 16% of the field in a city where just slightly more than half the citizens are women.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:39 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I'm going down to Ventura's and Town Hall to celebrate.

Congratulations Mr. Bratina, I'm more hopeful for Hamilton's future now.

Mr. Jelly will have his day eventually, anyway he'll still be an effective community activist and good for Hamilton. I think Mr. Farr will be a good councilor.

CIBC Confederation Park Stadium

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:41 AM
It's Hammer Time

I knew you'd bring that up....

All the incumbents got re-elected, it's the same council. It's unlikely they'll be a 2/3 majority to add Confederation Park.

Plus the new council session doesn't start until January 2011. The final deadline is in Feb.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:56 AM
Hammer'd

It's gonna take a lot of pen throwing to get Confed Park back on the table. Bratina is just one vote on a council that is entirely unchanged aside from the ward that he left.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:14 AM
Needs more coffee...

nvm. reposting in other thread.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:26 AM

Ugh. I'm not very pleased with the results.

I was hoping for some real change on council, but it looks like most of the lifers are back for more. And except for the two non-incumbent wards and ward 11, the closest margin was 20%, so they seem pretty well-entrenched. I think it'll be hard to move the city forward with a lot of the same bickering blowhards leading the ship.

And Sam Merulla at 82%??? Ugh.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:30 AM

on the bright side, Brenda Johnson's responses on the RTH elections site are pretty excellent: ie on the AEGD:

No. I don't understand why we are not promoting the space available that is empty and already serviced such as Burlington Street and the Glanbrook Industrial Park. The AEGD lands have been studied since 2001. Since that time, the Greenbelt has kiboshed the widening of #6 hwy and the Mid-Pen Highway has been shelved. The consultants did not address these changes. The risk management study does not reflect if the airport does not thrive, only if it succeeds. All risk management studies should reflect "worse case scenario". Shouldn't we be looking at all the avenues when we are dealing with hundreds of millions of our dollars. The costs don't include the building of the 25km trunk water and sewer pipes which will be needed to run from the Woodward plant which is already at capacity? This plant needs $675 million to expand now. The province can stop all development until this expansion is completed. Consultants are forecasting that warehousing and trucking companies will occupy 70% of the land. We are giving up over 3,000 acres of farmland for warehouse jobs.

If I had received the 2,200 page report received by the Councillors on a Thursday and expected to pass this report the following Tuesday, I would have voted it down.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:36 AM

God help us all!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:19 AM

AEGD is a done deal. Even if both of the two newcomers oppose it you need 2/3 majority to reverse the decision - and you aren't going to get six or seven of the other 11 returning incumbants who supported AEGD to change their vote.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:49 AM
It's Hammer Time

Mayoral candidate Pasuta in 2014?

http://www.thespec.com/news/municipa...pasuta-in-2014

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:55 AM
It's Hammer Time

Mitchell has represented the rural area for more than two decades. He declined to comment Monday night, said his friend Kathy Dinney.

“It wasn't something he was expecting,” said Dinney, explaining Mitchell was spending the night with his guests. “We wish Brenda Johnson the best.”

http://www.thespec.com/news/municipa...itchell-ousted

One career politican down.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Predicting the next Mayor is difficult to say. Conventional wisdom at the start of the race would say Di Ianni and Bratina will split the vote of discontent, giving Eisenberger the opportunity to slip up the middle. But Fred's support level is way down from the last go. The Spec poll shows the swing vote is away from him leaving him with mainly his core supporters and little room for growth (mind you he has the largest group of core supporters of the three leaders).

It's pretty clear there is palpable dissatisfaction with city hall has performed the past four years, and how that dissatisfied vote spreads itself will be the deciding factor. The question is how much of the swing vote has kept with Bratina since the Spec poll and how much has shifted elsewhere. Bratina held his own in the past week campaign-wise, and neither of the other two have had a breakawy advantage materialize, so not much has happened to make those Nanos poll numbers shift.
It's going to come down to who has the machine to get the vote out. If Bob had not run, this would have been the Di Ianni comeback story. Instead it's going to be an interesting night, and the vote is too close to call. But I am going to go out on a limb and predict Bratina will top the heap. But I am prepared for the possibilty of having to eat crow in 14 hours' time.
So who's going to buy me a beer for calling this one? Congratulations to Bob Bratina on a very convincing win.

Bob has a genuine love for the city and a sincere desire to improve our fortunes. His personality may come across as abrasive at times, and despite the overplayed pen-tossing references made here, he really is a genial, respectful guy who is not afraid to thoroughly examine the issues so to make an informed decision. IMO our city is in good hands.

I'll put my serving of crow in the freezer for now. Being a highly opinionated frequent poster I'm bound to need it in the future (Lord knows I have had my share of it in the past).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Mitchell has represented the rural area for more than two decades. He declined to comment Monday night, said his friend Kathy Dinney.

“It wasn't something he was expecting,” said Dinney, explaining Mitchell was spending the night with his guests. “We wish Brenda Johnson the best.”

http://www.thespec.com/news/municipa...itchell-ousted

One career politican down.
Ironically, the recent sprawl developments in Binbrook brought in the voters that turfed Mitchell out of this ward - in favour of a candidate with an anti-sprawl platform. Go figure.

Last edited by markbarbera; Oct 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:02 PM

Quote:
So who's going to buy me a beer for calling this one? Congratulations to Bob Bratina on a very convincing win.

Bob has a genuine love for the city and a sincere desire to improve our fortunes. His personality may come across as abrasive at times, and despite the overplayed pen-tossing references made here, he really is a genial, respectful guy who is not afraid to thoroughly examine the issues so to make an informed decision. IMO our city is in good hands.

I'll put my serving of crow in the freezer for now. Being a highly opinionated frequent poster I'm bound to need it in the future (Lord knows I have had my share of it in the past).
Bob's a good choice. Fred was probably stretching trying to remake himself into a progressive candidate the way he did - though I think he was genuine. Luckily we didn't get a Rob Ford show of palpable dissatisfaction.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:11 PM

Quote:
AEGD is a done deal. Even if both of the two newcomers oppose it you need 2/3 majority to reverse the decision - and you aren't going to get six or seven of the other 11 returning incumbants who supported AEGD to change their vote.
sure, but this is just stage 1, there are more lands staff want to put into it, plus it's not clear the province will support the recent additions - this is by no means a done deal. The AEGD is going to happen but council will still have a lot to do.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy