HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:51 PM
Closed account

City Business Parks

I figured since I started a thread about suburban business parks, I'd start one on the city business parks.
I have nothing to start this section with, but here it is anyhow!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 10:46 PM

Is there a such thing as a city business park? Or do you mean industrial park?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Is there a such thing as a city business park? Or do you mean industrial park?
I think that this thread is a troll.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hammer'd

Yah, I'm confused.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 2:15 PM
Closed account

I'm referring to all of our business/industrial parks. I just posted the info about Hortons buying land in the Ancaster park and started that 'suburban business parks' thread. I figured I'd start the 'city business parks' thread too referring to the ones on the east mountain. If they aren't called 'business parks' or if none of them are actually in the old city, just delete this thread. Or maybe we can change the name to 'city business development' or 'projects'. Along Burlington St and QEW in the east end we're seeing some new construction right now....those are the types of projects I'm trying to capture.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 2:00 PM

In today's Spec:

Quote:
Plant will turn grease into diesel for trucks

November 18, 2008
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator

Concrete footings are being poured for a $5.6-million plant that will turn used restaurant grease and other vegetable oils into biodiesel fuel.

Sil-Tri Bio Fuels Inc., a new Stoney Creek company headed by Joe Silvestri, is building the refinery on Portside Street, in a small business park south of Upper Centennial Parkway and Rymal Road East.

Silvestri said Friday he hopes to start production as early as February or March.

"We plan to sell our fuel more cheaply than petroleum diesel, helping the trucking industry. We will sell on site and ship to larger trucking companies that can advertise they're going green. And we'll be paying restaurants for their oil."

He said the plant is designed for a maximum capacity of 19 million litres a year, but would start at about a third of that and grow gradually.

Sil-Tri has applied to the Ontario Environment Ministry for certificates of approval for air and noise. Nov. 22 is the deadline for public comment on the applications. More information is available on the Environmental Bill of Rights registry at www.ebr.gov.on.ca, Registry No. 010-4966.

The application shows the site is 340 metres from the nearest residentially zoned land, more than the minimum 300 metres, and that there would be only negligible chemical vapour emissions from the closed-loop process. The only air pollution source would be a boiler, which Silvestri said will burn the plant's own biodiesel.

"Once we're up and running, we plan to install a windmill and operate off the grid."
Looks like the first RHVP-served industry is now under construction. Good to see that it is a biodiesel production facility, recycling mostly restaurant grease, and the windmill plans will make it self-sufficient electrically. A very promising first entry to this industrial park.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:46 PM
Hammer'd

Definitely looks good.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 4:47 PM

This is a good project, but I doubt a single windmill will make this plant self sufficient. I suspect that it is mearly 'Green' window dressing. If the cost of a new windmill could be directed to making this building completely emission free I would prefer that.

Still, it's a innovative use of old cooking oil, I hope it succeeds.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:20 PM

Depends on the wind turbine they go with. It certainly is not inconceivable for a wind turbine to provide enough power for the site.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:12 PM

Great news, this and the new Tim Hortons plant.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:34 PM
Raising the Hammer

Just in time, a 50% more efficient wind turbine!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Good news! Hopefully they'll go local and buy the wind mill from that company in Ancaster, it's in Ancaster business park too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Depends on the wind turbine they go with. It certainly is not inconceivable for a wind turbine to provide enough power for the site.
I was thinking that they would put up a turbine like the Zellers has up in Waterdown. I think they have 3 now and from what I remember the power output from those turbines don't even cover their lighting power needs.

What's the output from one of those giant industrial sized turbines? That would be cool to see one of those powering this plant.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:51 PM

The wind turbine on Toronto's Exhibition grounds averages 1000Mwh per year, which is none too shabby.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
In today's Spec:

Looks like the first RHVP-served industry is now under construction. Good to see that it is a biodiesel production facility, recycling mostly restaurant grease, and the windmill plans will make it self-sufficient electrically. A very promising first entry to this industrial park.
it doesn't appear to me that RHVP has anything to do with this.
It's location is listed as "Upper Centennial".

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:13 AM

Google map the intersection. It is definitely an immediate catchement for both the RHVP and the Linc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy