HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 7:43 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post

I hope the parking lot to the south of it gets filled. It is a tight squeeze, and would undoubtedly have big challenges, but being right next to light rail, the Y, and in the middle of ASU downtown, it would be a great location for a slender residential tower.
Agreed. Plus it would give Civic Space a nice 'walled' feeling, which good public spaces usually have.

I wish the finish on the ASU UCENT building wasn't so damned blah. It really takes up a lot of visual area when looking up from Civic Space and its just so....blahhhh.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Surprised to hear negative comments on the architecture of the YMCA. I think it compliments the old YMCA in a display of past and present architecture. Taller is always better downtown but at least its modern. I think it will look great and interesting 10 years from now.
Yeah if only a few from the 2005 plan like say Cronkite and Taylor Place weren't scaled down.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Yeah if only a few from the 2005 plan like say Cronkite and Taylor Place weren't scaled down.
I wasn't living in Phoenix when this thread started, in fact I think Taylor Place and Cronkite were already finished, but I wasn't aware that these two projects were scaled down. Looking back at the first few pages of this thread it looks like they were built as planned. Or maybe this thread started after they were scaled down?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I wasn't living in Phoenix when this thread started, in fact I think Taylor Place and Cronkite were already finished, but I wasn't aware that these two projects were scaled down. Looking back at the first few pages of this thread it looks like they were built as planned. Or maybe this thread started after they were scaled down?

Reynolds Foundation Gives ASU $3.5M for National Business Journalism Center

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:02 AM

Wow, so it was supposed to be part of the One Central Park East building. That would have been an interesting mix with plenty of office space in that tower.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:17 PM

Asu y

Took some shots of the new ASU extension of the YMCA while waiting for the train yesterday...I think it ended up looking much better than I'd thought it would.

Also, the lot immediately south is about 100' wide (from the wall of the ASU building to the southern edge of the southernmost row of parking spaces) by about 135' deep (including a similar setback from 1st and similar space for the alleyway). By comparison, that's almost the exact size of the lot for phase 2 of the Hub/University house in Tempe. Another comparison: the depth of the Palomar varies between 70' and 110'. So a slender residential building could be doable. It would just be very tight.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:27 PM

I like it... the second to last picture above reminds me of something that I might see in Berlin or elsewhere in Europe. Low- to mid-rise with unique architecture and generous glass.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I like it... the second to last picture above reminds me of something that I might see in Berlin or elsewhere in Europe. Low- to mid-rise with unique architecture and generous glass.
I like it too. If something were to be built next door on the parking lot, even if it were the same height, I think that would create a nice feel too for the area.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:25 PM

would be cool with another dorm there in the parking lot.....to be next to the Y!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:31 PM

That's a privately owned lot sandwiched in between the MAG building and the new ASU SRC building. I have to believe the sales price would be astronomical and it'll be a parking lot for a while. Likely won't ever be a dorm, unless ASU buys it (also unlikely).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
That's a privately owned lot sandwiched in between the MAG building and the new ASU SRC building. I have to believe the sales price would be astronomical and it'll be a parking lot for a while. Likely won't ever be a dorm, unless ASU buys it (also unlikely).
Yeah, a dorm is highly unlikely. With phase 2 of Taylor Place, and another dorm planned east of Central, I really don't see ASU investing in such a tight property.

It will have to be a private venture without a doubt.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:56 PM

What other dorm east of Central?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What other dorm east of Central?
Unfortunately it looks like ASU took it down from their website, but there was a PDF showing the proposed projects for downtown, we spoke about it on page 49 of this forum.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Unfortunately it looks like ASU took it down from their website, but there was a PDF showing the proposed projects for downtown, we spoke about it on page 49 of this forum.
You mean this?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:36 PM

Interesting that from the bird-eye view rendering, they show ASU buildings on the lot directly easy of the Westward Ho, but on the map they don't. Quite more in the works though which is great to see, including a building in place of the parking garage east of the University Center.

1: Academic Expansion
2: Future Residential Development
3: Student Rec Center

Beige: Proposed ASU Development
Brown: Projects in Planning, Design, or Construction

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:36 PM

A large residential component on the land that the future Law building sits on would be great. Also, having a large dorm/residential component (at least that's what I think it is) on the lot directly across from the Phoenix public market would be awesome. Maybe they could incorporate the old bowling alley. I was at the cafe at the Phx public market on Sunday for dinner and it is a really nice place, has great food and specials, and it has a good view (due to the parking lot across the street). I'd gladly give up a view to have a large building right there. It would definitely give the PHX Public Market more business, but also cement it's "place".

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Yeah, that was it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:10 PM
Skyriser

That bowling alley is toast if that lot ever gets developed. Invariably, anything taller than a story or two would require structural supports extending deep into the ground underneath it.

I think when they actually do excavation on that lot they're going to get a treasure trove of historic stuff. Apparently "underground storage tanks" are a big impediment to that lot's development--my theory is that's where one of Al Capone's speakeasy/distilleries is/was.

Also, on that ASU map, I'd like to see a lot more intensive, taller projects. The only one that looks like it could remotely impact the skyline is the one across the Westward Ho.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That bowling alley is toast if that lot ever gets developed. Invariably, anything taller than a story or two would require structural supports extending deep into the ground underneath it.

I think when they actually do excavation on that lot they're going to get a treasure trove of historic stuff. Apparently "underground storage tanks" are a big impediment to that lot's development--my theory is that's where one of Al Capone's speakeasy/distilleries is/was.

Also, on that ASU map, I'd like to see a lot more intensive, taller projects. The only one that looks like it could remotely impact the skyline is the one across the Westward Ho.
Maybe the other residential element on the same block as the law school could also add some height, but ASU won't be our solution for tall buildings downtown. Most of their developments in all of their campuses are mid-rises, and their high-rises tend to be on the shorter end of the spectrum.

Hopefully with ASU and the Bio campus growing, demand for office space and housing generates some height in the area.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:13 AM

Slide show: Exclusive first look at Downtown Sun Devil Fitness Complex

Quote:
The Downtown campus Sun Devil Fitness Complex is expected to open on Wednesday to ASU students and downtown Phoenix residents, pending inspections and final assembly.

The Downtown Devil got a first look at the facility Monday evening.

The $25 million project located directly next to the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA has five floors, complete with a couple dozen pieces of cardio equipment, weights, classrooms, a basketball gym, running track and rooftop pool.

The first four floors of the building will be open to YMCA members from the community, but the pool is reserved for ASU students alone.

Tania Mendes, administrative secretary for the Downtown campus dean of students, said the pool was closed off to the community based on student concerns.

There were meetings throughout the planning phase where Downtown students could get updates on the project and have some input on the amenities.

The project broke ground in August 2012 and the grand opening is scheduled for Oct. 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest