HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I already park here it isn't as much as you think
Um, there are 8,600 parking spaces. Are you parking underground or in the 5 story massive parking 'towers' that base the east and west most buildings?

And people going to games, unlike work, tend to have more than one person in the vehicle for the most part, so you can say just Marina Heights (not counting HFL) could accommodate parking for 17,200 attendees!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Where the hell is everyone going to park!>?!?!

also phoenix would be amiss to let the Coyotes move to Tempe

god Id love for the Coyotes to move to tempe.

that is their best chance... tempe or downtown phx

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:18 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Um, there are 8,600 parking spaces. Are you parking underground or in the 5 story massive parking 'towers' that base the east and west most buildings?

And people going to games, unlike work, tend to have more than one person in the vehicle for the most part, so you can say just Marina Heights (not counting HFL) could accommodate parking for 17,200 attendees!
There aren't 8,600 spaces yet--the complex isn't fully open.

Who knows what the parking situation will look like there. But I would be shocked if ASU didn't retain the rights to some parking spaces outside of office hours to compensate for the loss of Lot 59W.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 2:21 AM

I think the initial renderings are disappointing in that they've made the exact same mistake that has happened in downtown Phoenix time and time again- turnings its back to major roadways like Rural and University and focusing mixed use around interior, private roadways. Who knows how much change will eventually occur to these plans, but I would have much preferred a plan that prioritized urban intersections like Rio/Rural and Uni/Rural.

The Four Points on Rural which has already been rebranded is being rebranded yet again into a Moxy hotel by Hilton. Definitely a cool addition and adding to the vibe that Marriott AC, The Graduate, and Aloft already give Tempe. It's too bad something better than a CVS couldn't have gone on the Apache/Rural intersection.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 3:12 PM

The author of this year in review article mentions speaking with the developer of One Hundred Mill, and being told that, as recently as a couple weeks ago, they hopped to have something going by the end of the year.

http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blo...-reporter.html

Quote:
There is still a couple of weeks left in 2015, and when I spoke with Nich Wilson of Douglas Wilson Companies about the One Mill Avenue project a few weeks ago, they thought there would be some action before year’s end. I did say I’d take a point if it started in the first quarter 2016. It will.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
The author of this year in review article mentions speaking with the developer of One Hundred Mill, and being told that, as recently as a couple weeks ago, they hopped to have something going by the end of the year.

http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blo...-reporter.html
I have no concerns on 100 Mill. I think that's a done deal.

I am concerned about Hayden Flour Mill, BUT I noticed someone spend ALOT of money a few months ago for a fly-through video of the project. I doubt they drop that money if this thing is dead, unless they are seeking funding or a hotel to partner with.

I am a little concerned about the project between 7th and University. I keep forgetting the name. Either way, I bet it is atleast two quarters before that breaks ground.

Also, I have a hard time believing The Pier will happen, but it's early on and God I hope it does!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:36 PM

I would think Kimpton's name is essentially a guarantee that 100 Mill will produce revenue, so I hope it's a done deal, too. And, the office is only 7-8 stories; I wish the two varied in height because I think 7-8 Class A office space downtown will eventually be seen as a waste, but for the moment, I can't imagine having problems finding tenants and financing for such a small office component in the hottest market in the Phx area (ish).

I love that project, though, and it will be awesome for their to be continuous build-out from University to the lake. I also love how they treated 2nd Street and Maple within the project- so many downtown blocks are chopped off... it's nice to see those small parts reintroduced as usable space. I hope the Hayden House restoration follows soon after so as to not leave a huge dead zone at the intersection. I hope they are able to attract better retail tenants than the Gateway building, which - like much of Tempe - has filled with fast casual chains. Something like a Bunky Boutique would be great under the Kimpton. Why oh why did US Airways build such a terrible 1st tower? You'll go from this awesome project to the city's largest urban setback... sigh.

I agree that the Mill project is dead; as I've said, I don't think it will ever get developed on the scale these proposals have always been recommending. A more permanent civic space with a park, ampitheater, museum, service retail in a private-public agreement seems more realistic.

I don't know why you are so worried about 7S- it was announced well after 100 Mill, and I wasn't expecting much action this year on the lot. It's a quality project by a quality developer, and the worst case is that the 2nd phase is stalled indefinitely, leaving 7th Street totally abandoned. But, there is absolutely still demand for market rate, non-student housing downtown, so the first tower should be no problem. I'd hope to hear a brand for the hotel soon, though, given the # of lifestyle concepts under construction. Unless it is a complete boutique property, the only hotels I can think of that would be a good fit are Hilton Canopy, Element, and Hotel Indigo. I think a W would be pretty great, but don't think Tempe is quite there yet.

It's too bad the greatest projects have all snuck in so late; the build-out of 1st Street, 7S, 100 Mill, and The Pier would set the standard for all lakefront development. And, then there is the whole slew of lower profile projects that continue to transform and densify Apache and Maple-Ash: 5th Street West, 5th and Hardy, 4th Street West, the Block on Roosevelt, FORE, The Motley, 1000 Apache... and, I am really crossing my fingers that the plans for the Maxwell on College be fantastic and be built. Can we trade Alta, Hanover, Jefferson, and SALT for these?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:09 AM

A discussion about 5th and Farmer is on the DRC agenda; I hope once 1st is built-out, development begins filling in Farmer. And, on the topic of 5th, I was looking at the review for Hanover and still can't believe that thing was approved. The DRC requires tall mixed use over on McClintock, and along 1st Street, yet lets through a project with nothing but a super-engaging clubhouse on the corner of 5th/Maple?

I mention that because I noticed in their packet that the plans for the Centerpoint redevelopment (condos fronting Mill, hotel in place of the AMC, etc.) were included, which I found interesting. Obviously, these plans will never happen since DMB has since sold the property, but it really would make better use of the space than the 1-3 story buildings there now. There was a rendering out there for the hotel at one point and it was gorgeous- if it could have integrated a theatre, it would've been an awesome terminus to the 7th Street plaza area. Seems like the Chase low-rises are here for the long haul with their upcoming garage addition, but maybe in the future, at least the 1-story retail can be replaced with 10-12 story condos? At least the retail has finally filled up again. even if it is now nearly 100% F&B.

Umami (sp?) at Orchid House is closing; every business there has failed, which is unsurprising given the terrible circulation of the Brickyard and the lack of development to the east. I don't get why Myrtle and 6th St were both abandoned; it's a really nice looking development in a really nice setting, and I enjoyed Bistro back in the day. So, it's a shame that these vacancies keep cycling around when the issue is fairly obvious. Even the occupied spaces are kind of underwhelming- mainly the ASU Museum in one of the few spaces that could accommodate a new retail tenant, and Decision Theater in the really attractive building along 7th St. Oh well.

Orange Table also closed, so the College Ave restaurant scene just lost one of its more popular places. I hope his means that the 20-story student housing is imminent, but...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:17 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

Umami (sp?) at Orchid House is closing; every business there has failed, which is unsurprising given the terrible circulation of the Brickyard and the lack of development to the east. I don't get why Myrtle and 6th St were both abandoned; it's a really nice looking development in a really nice setting, and I enjoyed Bistro back in the day. So, it's a shame that these vacancies keep cycling around when the issue is fairly obvious. Even the occupied spaces are kind of underwhelming- mainly the ASU Museum in one of the few spaces that could accommodate a new retail tenant, and Decision Theater in the really attractive building along 7th St. Oh well.

Orange Table also closed, so the College Ave restaurant scene just lost one of its more popular places. I hope his means that the 20-story student housing is imminent, but...
Yes, the Umami space is cursed -- for obvious reasons. I liked Umami and the two incarnations of Center Bistro that came before it, but the location is unfindable by street address. Every time I encouraged someone to go there, I had to describe how to walk down alleys and across parking lots.

Shame about the Orange Table. That was one of the better Scottsdale transplants to arrive in Downtown Tempe. That location at Forest & 7th Street (one block away from the College Avenue scene) also seems cursed. Over the last few years, it has housed a Thai restaurant and another place unappealingly named "Gluttons."

Last edited by exit2lef; Dec 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 8:12 PM

Maxwell Place

I don't think I've seen this posted but apologies if it was already. I was walking today and saw a Zoning sign for The Maxwell with some details. 18 stories, 220 feet tall, 231 units, 131 du/ac, no setbacks.

Last edited by muertecaza; Dec 23, 2015 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think I've seen this posted but apologies if it was already. I was walking today and saw a Zoning sign for The Maxwell with some details. 18 stories, 220 feet tall, 231 units, 131 du/ac, no setbacks.

I had not heard of this! Great news, thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 11:13 PM

There is also a new zoning sign directly south of The Yard on the surface parking lot. The plans are for "Farmer Arts Parcel 2" 170,000 sf of mixed-use development on 3.3 acres. I am assuming it will be 5 stories if they are reviving these plans:

http://ww2.tempe.gov/publicbodies/Do...1108dssa01.pdf

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
There is also a new zoning sign directly south of The Yard on the surface parking lot. The plans are for "Farmer Arts Parcel 2" 170,000 sf of mixed-use development on 3.3 acres. I am assuming it will be 5 stories if they are reviving these plans:

http://ww2.tempe.gov/publicbodies/Do...1108dssa01.pdf
I would hope for something at least 8 stories there. Can you tell if it's everything south of the Yard all the way to 5th, or just part of that lot?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 11:43 PM

So with this Newman tower is it fair to say we now have 7 towers in the works for Tempe?

- Newman (18 stories)
- (2) 100 Mill (was it 17 stories)
- (2) 7SMixed (can't recall #of stories)
- (2) The Pier (22 stories)

Very impressive! 7 new towers coming to fruition would be a skyline changer for Tempe!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 4:59 AM

Quote:

- (2) 7SMixed (can't recall #of stories)
3 towers in 7S I think.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:05 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
I can't see the image or find this in a Google search. Where is this located?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Really wanting details on Maxwell Place - the redevelopment of 7th/College. The last redevelopment site will really solidify College's "identity." I hope the project is high (taller than Block 12), and market rate, age-controlled housing (considering W6 has been positively trashed by students). And, that the retail is in line with the higher-end options at the Annex, 3C Studios, and TCC. Nothing super fancy- just a mix of more than just chain fast food. Hopefully, Here on the Corner relocates there once it is finished, maybe a menswear shop, and a few classier nightlife options (more La Bocca than Zuma Grill).
Maxwell was brought up before not sure of the details however until now. It's where the old Campus Corner store/building is.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
I can't see the image or find this in a Google search. Where is this located?
The picture seems to have mysteriously disappeared from my phone. Not sure what happened. Sign is on the south side of 7th, west of College.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I would hope for something at least 8 stories there. Can you tell if it's everything south of the Yard all the way to 5th, or just part of that lot?
The signs on the Yard parking lot north of 5th say 3.3 acres, which seems consistent with basically the whole lot all the way to 5th.

There are also zoning signs on the lot south of Encore--signs are on both Farmer and University. It says 255 residential units on like 1.33 acres. Same developer as the Yard lot.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
There are also zoning signs on the lot south of Encore--signs are on both Farmer and University. It says 255 residential units on like 1.33 acres. Same developer as the Yard lot.
That sounds impressive! Let's say you could fit 40 units on an acre (I'm not sure you can), then this would be at least 6 stories. I hope it is more like 8-10. Plus, it may need a couple levels of parking above ground to support that many units on such a small piece of land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest