HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:16 AM

Jefferson Town Lake

It appears a project called Jefferson Town Lake is proposed at 909 Playa del Norte. From what I can tell this is the site where Onyx was to have been built. The number of units proposed is interesting in that the parcel is not huge and they would also need parking. Could we be looking at 6-8 stories?

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=28422

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:31 AM

Just for reference, Grigio is over 500 units, while SALT / Lofts at Hayden Ferry is very similarly sized at 260 units, but on what appears to be a much bigger lot than the Jefferson site.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Just for reference, Grigio is over 500 units, while SALT / Lofts at Hayden Ferry is very similarly sized at 260 units, but on what appears to be a much bigger lot than the Jefferson site.
The SALT property is actually rather small. I would say this is only going to be 4-5 stories at most. This is one time I'm hoping parking is above ground; I think, aesthetically, this needs to be at least 8 stories to give some levels and perspectives to Tempe. Everything right now is around the same height, so it looks entirely flat with some exceptions, of course.

I think 4 stories will look really lame next to the lowrise Northshore and Grigio.

EDIT: Maybe not. Onyx looked like it maximized its use of the land, and it was planning 196 units in 26 stories. Really would love to see 10+ here.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The SALT property is actually rather small. I would say this is only going to be 4-5 stories at most. This is one time I'm hoping parking is above ground; I think, aesthetically, this needs to be at least 8 stories to give some levels and perspectives to Tempe. Everything right now is around the same height, so it looks entirely flat with some exceptions, of course.

I think 4 stories will look really lame next to the lowrise Northshore and Grigio.

EDIT: Maybe not. Onyx looked like it maximized its use of the land, and it was planning 196 units in 26 stories. Really would love to see 10+ here.
The more I think about it, there is no zoning height request because I'm sure it was already zoned for Onyx. The lot is small, I doubt you could get more than 25-30 units per floor. That may even be a stretch.

I can't see parking being completely underground either. Maybe 2 stories of underground, but beyond that it'd be too expensive for apartments.

So I an assuming now this is at least 10 stories. *fingers crossed*

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 9:35 PM

The development at North College along the lake was proposed at 90'. I believe that this was 15'' below the power lines which is good height. If this development was 100' plus I think it is considered a good development. I couldn't imagine something over 150'. Would that look somewhat strange? Maybe not. I could imagine initially it would considering Hayden Harbor has not been built, but once that site is developed I think it would blend better.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
The development at North College along the lake was proposed at 90'. I believe that this was 15'' below the power lines which is good height. If this development was 100' plus I think it is considered a good development. I couldn't imagine something over 150'. Would that look somewhat strange? Maybe not. I could imagine initially it would considering Hayden Harbor has not been built, but once that site is developed I think it would blend better.
Was North College the built-to-suit office development that was to be 10 stories under the lines by Grigio?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Was North College the built-to-suit office development that was to be 10 stories under the lines by Grigio?
No - not sure what happened to that office development.

The 'north college' development is the residential development just east of the Marina. "Tempe Town Lake Residential" is what it was referred to as. I believe it's actually on Gilbert Rd, though.

Luckily, the Onyx site doesn't have to deal with the power lines. I don't think a tall tower would look out of place at all; I think it would look much better than anything close to the height of NorthShore - that area really needs some variations in height. 10 stories - around double the height of NorthShore - would be ideal, but really, anything between 10-20 would look great.

The site is also so small, I can't bitch about it not having retail on the ground level. It also lends itself to having the garage completely integrated, because they'll want the entrance facing Playa del Norte and amenities facing the lake directly. The setup of NorthShore is terrific in that regard, though the design and height are awful.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:24 AM

The site is along the lake. Clustered between the lake (south), Gilbert Dr/College Ave alignment/marina (west), freeway (north), and Hayden Harbor development (east).

Quote:
The site is also so small, I can't bitch about it not having retail on the ground level. It also lends itself to having the garage completely integrated, because they'll want the entrance facing Playa del Norte and amenities facing the lake directly. The setup of NorthShore is terrific in that regard, though the design and height are awful.
As far as retail, I agree. Plus there is plenty of retail/restaurant that sits next to IN-N-OUT. I could maybe see a barber shop/hair salon or small services, but as far as foot traffic from residential you would only see Grigio, Northshore, and this tower. Which adds up to not very much. I don't imagine Hayden Harbor development supplementing people across the street since that development (whatever it will be) is pretty much 100% sure to have retail and this site is so small I don't see it very accessible to non resident parking. Not every development needs retail anyway. Well if there is one that doesn't, I would prefer this over other developments.

Quick question, is there an underground walkway under the Scottsdale/Rural Road bridge along the lake?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Quick question, is there an underground walkway under the Scottsdale/Rural Road bridge along the lake?
Yes, there sure is It's part of the excellent paved multi-use path that nearly surrounds Town Lake (the only break being at the east dam.)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
Yes, there sure is It's part of the excellent paved multi-use path that nearly surrounds Town Lake (the only break being at the east dam.)
Nice. I never have gone that far out since there's not really anything interesting past HFL...obviously not for long.

Is it possible that we ever see a bridge over the east dam. I think its a tad strange where the dam sits. Its about 200 feet west of McClintock and half the time isn't even fully inflated since water continues upstream. So I assume that part of the lake is elevated compared to the west end?

I can't wait to see the west end complete. I wish they could have gone a tad more than 100 ft west of the pedestrian bridge, but it will look good regardless. I suppose you will be able to see the architecture of the damn which will be cool. I hope they put some LEDs on it. The colors at night make the lake look really cool and energetic.

Random..my imagination may be taking over, but it could be kind of cool to see the street car run along the lake..? Or possibly have a stop on the edge in Marina Heights and a ferry crossing lake (when the north develops).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:08 PM

I think Mesa and Tempe are looking at brining the streetcar line along Rio Salado eventually. The coordior along the lake through Tempe Marketplace and Riverview is going to be a very crucial transit link in the coming years. I thought they may have already applied for preliminary funding to do an analysis? I think the Feds require that the development be built first to better analyze if the line will be utilized or not.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:42 PM

Athletic District and Rural Road at Rio Salado

I was thinking the other night, we have Ash emerging as a hub of urban activity with some nice 3-4 story town homes, restaurants and senior living. Mill has long been the primary hub, but with the lakefront from Mill to Rural about to be nearly completed in the coming years, could Rio Salado bring urban develop to Rural road as a new corridor? Let me explain my reasoning....
  • The athletic district will create new incentives for development that stretches along and past Rural road
  • There is land available for development on the corners of Rural and Rio, especially when the athletic facilities are relocated or redone
  • The district would be accessible from the University and Rural light rail station and hopefully the street car down Rio
  • Lack of single family residences in the area to complain about building heights/density
  • Remodel of Sun-Devil Stadium

I would love for Tempe to continue to think big and have Rural road from Rio Salado to University (or even Apache) designated as another urban area for the long term. My vision would start with a few more simple ideas:
  • Make Rural Rd. pedestrian-friendly from University LR station down to the Rural Rd. bridge. Add landscaping, green painted bike lanes, improve medians, maybe some diagonal on-street parking, brick sidewalks, improved streetlights, shade, etc
  • Create another park on the bank of Town Lake under the useless, disgusting space beneath the power lines on the NE corner of Rio and Rural.
  • Designate development for more student housing, condos and apartments in the area W of Rural Rd, essentially along Rural and around the stadium.
  • Commission something unique to be built in the last remaining lot directly West of Rural on Rio Salado next to Marina Heights. Not sure what that would be, but it should be something very community oriented or public in nature. Ideas include Museum, more aquatic amenities, public pool/beach, outdoor amphitheater, etc.

Just an idea for a vision that takes us to the next 20-30 years after Mill, Ash and Rio are more fully developed that allows the continued urban growth of Tempe. I think it plays extremely well into the Athletic District vision.

I've always loved driving along the 202 and coming into Tempe, seeing the beach park along the lake. If something similar, but different could be done along Rural, it would really create an oasis in Tempe.

Last edited by PHXFlyer11; Oct 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:21 PM

You right which is why I think Tempe has such a vested interested in this district. IF you think about it, it's the last remaining open piece of real estate without any NIMBY opposition. I think they should go all out interms of density...yet the market will dictate what actually gets built.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
The site is along the lake. Clustered between the lake (south), Gilbert Dr/College Ave alignment/marina (west), freeway (north), and Hayden Harbor development (east).
Technically, it doesn't border the lake. A piece of Hayden Habor is nestled between the two - and it would really suck if Tempe Town Lake Residential was built and Hayden Harbor built right up to that border with multi-story development given how much land they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYFLYER11
I was thinking the other night, we have Ash emerging as a hub of urban activity with some nice 3-4 story town homes, restaurants and senior living. Mill has long been the primary hub, but with the lakefront from Mill to Rural about to be nearly completed in the coming years, could Rio Salado bring urban develop to Rural road as a new corridor? Let me explain my reasoning....
  • The athletic district will create new incentives for development that stretches along and past Rural road
  • There is land available for development on the corners of Rural and Rio, especially when the athletic facilities are relocated or redone
  • The district would be accessible from the University and Rural light rail station and hopefully the street car down Rio
  • Lack of single family residences in the area to complain about building heights/density
  • Remodel of Sun-Devil Stadium
I would love for Tempe to continue to think big and have Rural road from Rio Salado to University (or even Apache) designated as another urban area for the long term. My vision would start with a few more simple ideas:
  • Make Rural Rd. pedestrian-friendly from University LR station down to the Rural Rd. bridge. Add landscaping, green painted bike lanes, improve medians, maybe some diagonal on-street parking, brick sidewalks, improved streetlights, shade, etc
  • Create another park on the bank of Town Lake under the useless, disgusting space beneath the power lines on the NE corner of Rio and Rural.
  • Designate development for more student housing, condos and apartments in the area W of Rural Rd, essentially along Rural and around the stadium.
  • Commission something unique to be built in the last remaining lot directly West of Rural on Rio Salado next to Marina Heights. Not sure what that would be, but it should be something very community oriented or public in nature. Ideas include Museum, more aquatic amenities, public pool/beach, outdoor amphitheater, etc.
Just an idea for a vision that takes us to the next 20-30 years after Mill, Ash and Rio are more fully developed that allows the continued urban growth of Tempe. I think it plays extremely well into the Athletic District vision.

I've always loved driving along the 202 and coming into Tempe, seeing the beach park along the lake. If something similar, but different could be done along Rural, it would really create an oasis in Tempe.
I agree that more emphasis should be placed on Rural Road as an urban arterial. In the near future, it will have light rail, bus rapid transit, and street car all running along or through it in a very small, condensed area of the city.

In addition to carrying 3 modes of transportation, it's also the true N/S center of the city and is the major link between Tempe and Chandler and Scottsdale, and we're also seing urban development spreading as far east as Price Road. It would be great to start planning ahead and thinking about how roads like University, Broadway and Southern will develop from Rural > Price in the future.

I think a plan that extended from Curry through Baseline would be wise. Baseline/Rural has been designated as a hub for the Lakes region, Southern/Rural is home to the city's Library and Museum, Broadway is the major link to Fountainhead and the Buttes, Apache will only continue to grow, University > Rio Salado is part of the Stadium District, and Curry marks the transition into the south Scottdale area.

I think the road is extremely underdeveloped, especially the area around ASU, where there is mainly empty land and single-story, auto-oriented business. I hope the Golub towers on 8th eventually get built, as that would help the tone for development moving forward. I think Rural from Broadway to Rio Salado can handle a greater intensity of retail uses, but will need the increased residential density of towers like was being proposed to support it. Designating a certain area for such use will also help when it comes to making changes like adding parallel/diagonal parking, etc. 8th is also slated for a makeover to make it more pedestrian and retail-friendly, so with the LRT stop at its center, this would make a great centerpoint for Tempe.

It's too bad that the new ASU developments along Apache and Rural didn't use Vista del Sol as a model. Would've been great for all those new dorms to have had ground level uses, even if it was a mix of academic and retail. That, again, could've sparked some changes to the infrastructure and maybe led to lane reductions/parking or landscape buffers/and so on.

I see Rio/Rural as being kind of a hospitality gateway. I think one of the corners should definitely include a mixed use transit center for the future BRT and Streetcar with offices and residential. I think the parcel just east of Marina Heights need to be extemely pedestrian-focused and draw people onto the lake to take advantage of all the lake-fronting public amenities and retail. A large plaza with large lit signage showcasing the retail would be great, and there'd still be plenty of room for a signature development. A boutique hotel anchored by a state-of-the-art fitness center and museum dedicated to the Tempe sports HOF would be awesome.

University/Rural is more of the academic gateway with mixed use student housing, shopping, and classroom spaces that contain public components. Broadway/Rural could be a neighborhood gateway with more market rate housing and hopefully redeveloped neighborhood retail. Southern/Rural would be a civic gateway with the Museum, Library, and maybe a new park for that side of town, and galleries, etc. Housing would still be dense, but less high, and we'd see more townhome-type development in the area. Lastly, Baseline/Rural would be a commercial town center with heavy retail, midrise offices, retail with 1-2 stories of housing above fronting major streets, and dense townhomes on side streets.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:51 AM

Quote:
[*]Commission something unique to be built in the last remaining lot directly West of Rural on Rio Salado next to Marina Heights. Not sure what that would be, but it should be something very community oriented or public in nature. Ideas include Museum, more aquatic amenities, public pool/beach, outdoor amphitheater, etc.[/LIST]
What about Rio Salado Foundation's Arizona Boathouse and Welcome Center?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:20 PM

The Madison Improvement Center / "Party on a Bike!" is open now on Farmer - right next to the future Culinary Dropout!
I stopped in two days ago to check it out and to grab a schedule for spin classes! It's a great space and the spin room - where they hold "Party on a Bike" is awesome! Lots of cool LED lights and an incredible sound system/DJ booth!

The staff also advised that directly next door - the vacant space to the east of Madison - there are plans to put in some sort of breakfast place!

I'm loving the development on Farmer. What a great re-imagination for that whole site.

Does anyone know what is happening to the former Sail Inn? It's definitely under construction or renovation...

Also- I checked out Delice - the new French/European Bistro behind Zips and I quite enjoyed it! The crepes, pastries and coffee are really tasty and the owner and his son are really nice.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
The Madison Improvement Center / "Party on a Bike!" is open now on Farmer - right next to the future Culinary Dropout!
I stopped in two days ago to check it out and to grab a schedule for spin classes! It's a great space and the spin room - where they hold "Party on a Bike" is awesome! Lots of cool LED lights and an incredible sound system/DJ booth!

The staff also advised that directly next door - the vacant space to the east of Madison - there are plans to put in some sort of breakfast place!

I'm loving the development on Farmer. What a great re-imagination for that whole site.

Does anyone know what is happening to the former Sail Inn? It's definitely under construction or renovation...

Also- I checked out Delice - the new French/European Bistro behind Zips and I quite enjoyed it! The crepes, pastries and coffee are really tasty and the owner and his son are really nice.
The Sail Inn was rumored to become The Lodge. They gutted the place and then construction kind of halted. I believe the Scottsdale location is getting demo'd for a mid-rise condo complex, thus the reason for the move.

Arquitect was right - Postinos really does change the dynamic of a neighborhood. Restaurants are flooding to College Ave - Revo Pizza, Snooze, Orange Table and now Noca:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...mpe_wexler.php

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Arquitect was right - Postinos really does change the dynamic of a neighborhood. Restaurants are flooding to College Ave - Revo Pizza, Snooze, Orange Table and now Noca:
Agree completely. I just drove down college at lunch. Wow. There were more people on that street than on Mill. Really impressed. I think now we'll start to see 7th street get some momentum to connect the two.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 9:03 PM

Any shot at redeveloping the building that currently Here on the Corner, the Cornerstore, Subway and Bookstore? Seems so out of place now that all of the other relics from that era have been torn away, and it's been surrounded by new construction.

It'd be great to bookend the block with residential. I love The Hub/UH's density, but market rate lofts over a similar retail offering (4-5 stories) would fit in nicely. I guess the vacant land is more of a concern between Mill and College. Would also be nice to see the University Towers undergo a Manzy-like modernization. The purple and gray really stand out between the Marriott, Transportation Center, and UH. Think it would be nice to see some of the ground level offices converted back to retail. With Revo going and the municipal garage filling up, it could provide a nice link to College along 5th.

I thought Hanover's garage was going to be completely covered by the apartments; was disappointed to see it's essentially side-by-side and completely exposed along 6th and Maple. Miss opportunity with the retail under W6.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Oct 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Any shot at redeveloping the building that currently Here on the Corner, the Cornerstore, Subway and Bookstore? Seems so out of place now that all of the other relics from that era have been torn away, and it's been surrounded by new construction.
Really? You should've seen the crowds at those places today. I thought it really brought a ton of life and some character to College, along with the Nueman Church. I mean maybe you could build a tower behind it, but I appreciate the way it is now. I don't like too many modern building all together. I think those shops bring some charm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest