HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:52 PM

'Halifax Headbangers'

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 3:54 PM
we built this city

Admirals or Osprey. The rest are a bit cringe. Celtics isn't bad, but it would work better with a soccer club.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I must admit that my favourite is Osprey as well.......

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:04 AM

The Highlanders and Celtics would be non-starters as the anti-colonialism activists would be up in arms.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The Highlanders and Celtics would be non-starters as the anti-colonialism activists would be up in arms.
Could also be considered as cultural expropriation too.......

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Not sold on Ospreys but the typefont and colours are gorgeous
Agree, also Mount A colours, I believe

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
My reasoning for selecting the Privateers is that it is something I associate more with Halifax history, if this is supposed to be a Halifax team.
Except it probably won't be.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That Schooners logo is terrible, looks like a $.
I'm not sure if the connotation of an anchor is good either.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Ospreys isn't bad.........

Although, on second thought, if you were a sports team, would you really want to have "prey" as part of your team name?
Depends on if you look at it as a noun or verb.

prey
prā/
noun

noun: prey
an animal that is hunted and killed by another for food.
"the kestrel is ready to pounce on unsuspecting prey"

a person or thing easily injured or taken advantage of.
"he was easy prey for the two con men"

archaic
plunder or (in biblical use) a prize.

verb: prey;
hunt and kill for food.
"small birds that prey on insect pests"

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:34 AM

I'm judging these names with my own personal criteria:

One is that it will most likely not begin with Halifax or Nova Scotia.
Two, Maritime excludes any marketing opportunities with NFLD, no matter how miniscule they might be in the beginning (there is room for growth)
Three, Maritime (to me) doesn't roll of the tongue as well with putting the word "the" in front of it (JMO) We are used to saying "in the Maritimes"
Four, East Coast is growing on me
Five, weather names don't sound too bad, Atlantic Storm, East Coast Tide
Six, barring a total shift in attitude, the name will be... the Atlantic Schooners

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I must admit that my favourite is Osprey as well
Osprey as in singular, not plural

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'm judging these names with my own personal criteria:

One is that it will most likely not begin with Halifax or Nova Scotia.
Two, Maritime excludes any marketing opportunities with NFLD, no matter how miniscule they might be in the beginning (there is room for growth)
Three, Maritime (to me) doesn't roll of the tongue as well with putting the word "the" in front of it (JMO) We are used to saying "in the Maritimes"
Four, East Coast is growing on me
Five, weather names don't sound too bad, Atlantic Storm, East Coast Tide
Six, barring a total shift in attitude, the name will be... the Atlantic Schooners
Initially I thought Halifax should be the name of the team, as most professional teams are named after the city in which their home team is based (especially if the city of Halifax 'invests' in at least part of a stadium or the land on which it is situated, and related infrastructure), but Atlantic is more inclusive for the region, so would probably be the best choice. No to "Maritime" IMHO.

Regardless of the name or uniform style, doesn't really matter to me, as long as it isn't something dorky...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Initially I thought Halifax should be the name of the team, as most professional teams are named after the city in which their home team is based (especially if the city of Halifax 'invests' in at least part of a stadium or the land on which it is situated, and related infrastructure), but Atlantic is more inclusive for the region
Yeah, it's a strategy that helps give the team appeal in the wider regional market. Each of the major North American sports leagues has four or five teams named after the state instead of the city, and the New England Patriots are, of course, regionally-named. In the CFL we have the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:34 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Yeah, it's a strategy that helps give the team appeal in the wider regional market. Each of the major North American sports leagues has four or five teams named after the state instead of the city, and the New England Patriots are, of course, regionally-named. In the CFL we have the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
As long as it isn't the "Halifax Regional Municipality" Insert Name Here's, I am cool with it.

I can see the logic of it being the "Atlantic" whatever's, instead of just Halifax, and I prefer Atlantic over Maritime as it rolls off the tongue better. However, I would bet that many in Moncton will chafe against it either way if it seems to represent the broader region. I'm not say that as criticism of Moncton, but just a practical reality for whatever it is worth.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Halifax Explosions? Social media blasts off on proposed name for CFL team

HALIFAX — A group backing a bid for a Halifax CFL team touched off a fiery debate online when it proposed naming the team after one of the country's greatest maritime disasters.

On Twitter, CFL in Halifax pitched the idea of calling the football team the Halifax Explosions — a reference to the devastating explosion in the Halifax harbour in 1917 that killed about 2,000 people.

A similar name, the Halifax Xplosion, is used by the city's team in the Maritime Women's Football League.

CFL in Halifax is a creative group that makes fan art to generate discussion. It has no affiliation to either the group looking to land an expansion franchise to the region or the league itself.

The group enthusiastically promoted the Explosion moniker, saying that 100 years ago "a force was unleashed that made this city stronger, bigger, and more united than ever before. Now we channel that force onto the football field as we flatten all that stands in our way."

It didn't take long for people to register their rebukes.

"You want to profit off the deaths of 2,000 people? It's in really poor taste," said one person, while another tweeted, "I grew up in Dartmouth and this is an absolutely asinine idea."

Others were more creative with their disapproval.

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2018/...=1517236690839

One poo-poo of an idea, though I do admittedly like the logo. However since it appears this think group isn't affiliated with the CFL or ownership group, I would doubt any of these designs/names end up being the actual one. However, the ownership group would be smart to keep an eye on this to see what evokes positive, and negative, reactions among the Halifax fans.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:17 PM

" The investment group is also providing “every penny” to build the new arena after the city, stung by the construction of the Marlins Park baseball arena at astronomical estimated public cost of $2.4bn over 40 years, closed off the purse strings to new stadium projects. That financial burden was lessened by Beckham’s right to purchase an MLS expansion franchise for only $25m. "
https://www.theguardian.com/football...mi-team-soccer

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
As long as it isn't the "Halifax Regional Municipality" Insert Name Here's, I am cool with it.
They could be the Halifax Regional Municipality Communities. Their mascot would be Peter Kelly, dressed up in formal attire for a tea party in Musquodoboit Harbour!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They could be the Halifax Regional Municipality Communities. Their mascot would be Peter Kelly, dressed up in formal attire for a tea party in Musquodoboit Harbour!
That would be the Peter Kelly who was mayor when HRM racked up operating surpluses in excess of $30,000,000 in his last few years and was mayor when 11 cranes were visible on the Halifax skyline.
None of which can be attributable to him.
Politicians sometimes just get lucky.
Pierre Trudeau was PM when a 5 year mortgage was 22%.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I would bet that many in Moncton will chafe against it either way if it seems to represent the broader region. I'm not say that as criticism of Moncton, but just a practical reality for whatever it is worth.
Not seeing that at all.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 11:06 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment