HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
Banook is doing a $5 million upgrade that is mostly government funded as one small example (about $4 million according to this CBC article). I'm sure they are all getting breaks on property tax as another example of funding but that's no different than any other non-profit.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rway-1.7045258
Thanks for the info. I'm glad they are taking care with the old building as it's a landmark in the area. I don't actually mind that the province kicked in $3 million, as amateur sport needs support, and some of these athletes do go on to represent Canada in international competitions. The article also states that the club is raising $1.1 million on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
One thing that always bugged me a bit is that the city (not the club) actually owns 10,000 sq feet next to Banook where their beach is that they have fenced off for private members use instead of allowing the general public. There was just a short staff report in 2022 about extending their lease on it until 2042, the area that is publicly owned is shown in attachment 1 in the link below.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...712rc15111.pdf
Thanks again for the info. The beach lease doesn't really bother me either, as it's been that way as long as I can remember. I no longer live in the neighbourhood, but I do recall in my youth using that beach in the few years that we had a family membership, but not really missing it when our membership finished, as it was small and not all that great compared to other beaches like Birch Cove (more cute girls attended Birch Cove as well, back in those days anyhow... ). I don't know what it's like today, as I haven't been there for decades.

I have noticed the yearly beach closings in the news, due to water quality issues, so I'm glad the City is tackling this, finally.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment