HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Can the Suns win more than 25 games this year?
Ok I'll bite. They only need to win 7 games more than last season and they actually have a roster that resembles an NBA team. Rubio is a proven pass-first PG that plays some defense and that will help. Book needs to take that next step and Ayton needs to continue to improve and become a defensive force. All 3 things happen and I can see it happening. Time will tell i guess...been optimistic about Suns season before just to have my hopes shattered lol

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Racial epithet? LOL But apparently you consider bashing a member of LGBTQ community fair game...look in the mirror buddy. And if you actually read my post...you would've realized I've never even been to a game nor do I care about the WNBA. Reading comprehension is key my friend...
I could care less about orientations or alphabet soups (I belong somewhere in that mess), just an entitled privileged overpaid white degenerate with no respect for her audience or homeland. You apparently have trouble reading as well, you took offense with the post and it was obvious. No one here cares what games you've been too. Facts > Feelings.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I could care less about orientations or alphabet soups (I belong somewhere in that mess), just an entitled privileged overpaid white degenerate with no respect for her audience or homeland. You apparently have trouble reading as well, you took offense with the post and it was obvious. No one here cares what games you've been too. Facts > Feelings.
looks like someone can't control their own feelings and emotions continue bashing that rainbow pride bud...whatever makes u sleep at night.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:26 PM

Since the first part of my statement read "I could care less" meaning lack of empathy I am failing to see where the emotional outburst was in my statement. Again I am only highlighting your emotional responsiveness. Maybe the problem is your a Bieleber. LOL

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Since the first part of my statement read "I could care less" meaning lack of empathy I am failing to see where the emotional outburst was in my statement. Again I am only highlighting your emotional responsiveness. Maybe the problem is your a Bieleber. LOL
Quote:
just an entitled privileged overpaid white degenerate with no respect for her audience or homeland.
Dude u make this too easy LOL it's okay man...u need a hug?? Ooooh nice one! It's okay to be a Bieleber too...I promise your Mom won't look at you different. On 2nd thought...maybe she will judging by your upbringing

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:34 PM

I fail to see that...I am not the one with a soft spot for androgynous bleached hair morally depraved individuals, I believe that's you? Anyway, I will cease continuation of this subject before the moderator has a melt down.

As I mentioned in the Tempe Forum, CBRE is marketing a spec office development just north of the Phoenix Rising Stadium. There are plans for a road network that is assuming that the stadium project may closer to reality? Again disappointed due to the abundance of surface parking and it doesn't stay close to the initial conceptual renderings that the streets would be designed in a circular motion like a sun dial.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
I fail to see that...I am not the one with a soft spot for all individuals, I believe that's you? Anyway, I will cease continuation of this subject before the moderator has a melt down.

As I mentioned in the Tempe Forum, CBRE is marketing a spec office development just north of the Phoenix Rising Stadium. There are plans for a road network that is assuming that the stadium project may closer to reality? Again disappointed due to the abundance of surface parking and it doesn't stay close to the initial conceptual renderings that the streets would be designed in a circular motion like a sun dial.
Fixed it for ya!

In relation to the development news, yes I agree the conceptual renderings looked much more impressive.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 9:04 PM

Anyone have a link to those renderings or the CBRE marketed site?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I’m excited about the prospect of adding life to the Coliseum an additional 15-17 nights a year
I'm excited as well. Saw a Johnny Cash concert there. I've got a soft spot for that place.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:47 PM
Modulator

The last time I was ever in the Coliseum was when I was 11 years old, so I don't remember much of it. I was browsing pics of the Coliseum on a Google Search and I am wondering why a major renovation project has not been done to the Coliseum? With a hockey seating capacity of 13,730 and Gila River Arena capacity at 18,300, would it be possible to add about 4,000 more seats with a major renovation to make it more competitive with Gila? Seems like it could be a potential place for the Coyotes to play and I'm wondering why something like this hasn't been explored (or has it)? Honestly, for as old as it is, it's still a great looking structure and a modern update could make it spectacular.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
The last time I was ever in the Coliseum was when I was 11 years old, so I don't remember much of it. I was browsing pics of the Coliseum on a Google Search and I am wondering why a major renovation project has not been done to the Coliseum? With a hockey seating capacity of 13,730 and Gila River Arena capacity at 18,300, would it be possible to add about 4,000 more seats with a major renovation to make it more competitive with Gila? Seems like it could be a potential place for the Coyotes to play and I'm wondering why something like this hasn't been explored (or has it)? Honestly, for as old as it is, it's still a great looking structure and a modern update could make it spectacular.
Because sports elites want the newest and bestest and they don't want to pay for it - they want YOU to. Veterans Memorial Coliseum? The true Purple Palace? Ick! Seriously, I hear ya man...but modern sports is all flash and no substance. Hockey should be thrilled to be playing at the Madhouse on MacDowell...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:22 PM
Near Generational

Now that the Coyotes have new ownership, how long until a new arena gets built somewhere more appropriate than Glendale?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Now that the Coyotes have new ownership, how long until a new arena gets built somewhere more appropriate than Glendale?
With Alex Meruelo having a net worth of $2B, I really hope he ponies up a majority of the cost for a new arena in downtown Phoenix. Still a shame an agreement couldn't be made for a brand new dual-purpose arena for Suns/Coyotes. Perhaps Meruelo can bully Sarver and have his way w/ him since he has more money than him

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 10:21 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
It hasn't had a major tenant in forever to pay for deferred maintenance and the Legislature has both raided the profits of the State Fair that could have paid for Fairground renovations and capped the amount it can spend.

It is infeasible to expand VMC to this or much of any extent. Adding this much capacity would require construction outside the building envelope--the upper levels are right up to the exterior walls--and to somehow do this and expand the roof is fast becoming a near-total demolition that would at the very least compromise the historicity of it that presupposes a renovation.

If even you could keep some number of additional seats within the building, the huge thing that modern arenas need is suites. VMC has none to begin with making it a near impossible sell for any team.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:22 PM
E pluribus unum

Last time I was at the Madhouse was to see Barack Obama deliver a speech in January 2008. It had rained a few days before resulting in a pervasive mold stench throughout the building during Obama's rally. It's probably also full of asbestos?

The number of arenas in Phoenix (both modern and obsolete) is probably too damn high?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:10 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Last time I was at the Madhouse was to see Barack Obama deliver a speech in January 2008. It had rained a few days before resulting in a pervasive mold stench throughout the building during Obama's rally. It's probably also full of asbestos?

The number of arenas in Phoenix (both modern and obsolete) is probably too damn high?
In the wiki it says the building has had a leaky roof since it was damaged a year after it opened.

Tbqh I'm surprised its deferred maintenance figure is as as small as it is ($3M). I suspect that the deferred maintenance is only to keep it open for the limited use. At one point or another people are going to have to ask themselves the purpose of keeping this elderly and disabled white elephant alive. I mean, I bet it's only standing because nobody has had the money to tear it down although literally nobody is wanting that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:45 AM

Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It hasn't had a major tenant in forever to pay for deferred maintenance and the Legislature has both raided the profits of the State Fair that could have paid for Fairground renovations and capped the amount it can spend.

It is infeasible to expand VMC to this or much of any extent. Adding this much capacity would require construction outside the building envelope--the upper levels are right up to the exterior walls--and to somehow do this and expand the roof is fast becoming a near-total demolition that would at the very least compromise the historicity of it that presupposes a renovation.

If even you could keep some number of additional seats within the building, the huge thing that modern arenas need is suites. VMC has none to begin with making it a near impossible sell for any team.
The roof is cabled on you can't expand it without removing the entire roof.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:01 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
The roof is cabled on you can't expand it without removing the entire roof.
Thanks, I had figured as much. I didn't see how one could expand it. Seemed already difficult to expand the thing outside the envelope.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:54 AM
E pluribus unum

I'm assuming those poles that stick out along the sides of VMC are technically the cables holding up.the roof?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 7:31 PM
Modulator

Looks like Henderson, NV was trying to swoop up the DBacks quietly behind the scenes. No comments (not surprisingly) from the DBacks organization, but it sounds like if MLB were to give them permission to leave, they would be checking out other potential cities including Henderson.

Quote:
By Blake Apgar Las Vegas Review-Journal
August 1, 2019 - 9:31 am

Henderson has its eye on the big leagues.

Last year, Henderson officials quietly began a push to lure the Arizona Diamondbacks from the team’s Phoenix home to their city, records obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal show. Although discussions have stalled, the move signals Henderson’s desire to grow as a professional sports-caliber city.

“While a proposal for an Arizona Diamondbacks ballpark has not moved forward, the city of Henderson would welcome conversations with other major league franchises that may be considering a move to a different market,” the city said in a statement this week.

In a subsequent email, the city clarified it would be open to talking with any professional sports team looking to relocate.

Discussions between Henderson and the baseball team indicate that the city had put significant effort into its presentation. City Manager Richard Derrick signed a nondisclosure agreement dated July 31, 2018, with the Diamondbacks.

The city nicknamed the effort “Project Marble.”

In a slideshow submitted to the team, officials highlighted what they thought could come of a major league ballpark and surrounding development.

Renderings show a retractable-roof baseball stadium near St. Rose Parkway and Bermuda Road in rapidly growing west Henderson, which city officials envision as a hub for sports and entertainment. The proposed site, one of four floated by the city, sits behind the future headquarters and practice facility of the NFL’s Raiders.

According to the presentation, Henderson hired a consultant to conduct a financial analysis, assuming the ballpark would have 32,000 seats and space for 4,000 standing-room-only ticket holders. The Diamondbacks would serve as the primary tenant for a 30-year term and the stadium would be publicly owned and exempt from property tax.

The consultant estimated the ballpark would cost about $1 billion to construct.

The proposal called for the ballpark to be near Henderson West, a planned development that would include retail, offices and residential buildings.

“I hope, above all else, (our submission) reflects the pride that we take in our community and our ardent belief that a partnership with Major League Baseball is not only viable but provides great opportunities for our city and your organization,” Henderson Mayor Debra March wrote in a cover letter to the Diamondbacks’ chief executive.

The Diamondbacks would not answer specific questions about whether Henderson is being considered as a potential new home.

A number of cities have expressed interest but we have not pursued any because we have not received permission from MLB and our desire is, first and foremost, to stay in Arizona,” the team said in a statement.

‘Lots of potential’

The team’s president and CEO, Derrick Hall, exchanged emails with Derrick, the city manager, over the course of months, records show.

The Diamondbacks expressed interest in creating a development at a potential new home, pointing to the entertainment district near the Atlanta Braves’ SunTrust Park as inspiration, according to documents that detailed the team’s wish list for prospective suitors.

Derrick booked a visit with Hall in Atlanta last October, emails show.

On Nov. 13, 2018, Derrick emailed Hall to check on the team’s progress and invite him to Henderson. Hall responded that the inquiry was “timely” because he was attending the owners meeting in Atlanta and would likely see the MLB commissioner.

“Did the elections help your case?” Hall wrote.

“I believe so. … The new governor (Gov. Steve Sisolak, elected in November 2018) was our past county commission chair and was instrumental in helping to craft the deal that lured the Raiders to the state,” Derrick replied. “Lots of potential!!!”

Records show that the Diamondbacks also sent nondisclosure agreements to multiple real estate professionals for the Henderson proposal, including Joseph Kennedy of JA Kennedy Real Estate Co., Jim Stuart and Kelly Lawson of Matter Real Estate Group, Tony Daileda of Sauvage Gas Co., and Christian Gardner of the Gardner Co. Ward 4 Councilman Dan Stewart is Gardner’s vice president of development.

Problems at home

Talks with Henderson came months after the Diamondbacks struck an agreement with Maricopa County in Arizona to resolve issues surrounding its aging downtown Phoenix ballpark.

Under the May 2018 agreement, the team would drop a lawsuit against the county, have sole control of ballpark operations and maintenance, and keep all revenue from the stadium, which it has leased through 2027.

But it also allowed the team to pay to leave Maricopa County as early as the conclusion of the 2022 season. The team, however, would have the opportunity to leave the ballpark earlier without a penalty if required by Major League Baseball because of the condition of Chase Field.

No official word

Last year, Henderson secured a deal for the Raiders to build a headquarters building and training facility. The team got a 50 percent markdown on a 55-acre plot of land across the street from the Henderson Executive Airport.

In May, the city finalized a deal for a Vegas Golden Knights community ice arena in downtown Henderson. That facility will be built, in part, with public money.

The city said it ultimately views itself as capable of drawing major sports franchises because of a business-friendly approach, attractive demographics, socioeconomic characteristics and available land.

Still, Henderson spokeswoman Kathleen Richards said this week that the city has not heard “official word” from the Diamondbacks on whether the project could move forward. The two sides were in discussions as late as February, records show.

On Jan. 4, Hall, the team’s CEO, sent Derrick an email with the subject line, “Have not forgotten you!”

“Hopefully there is still strong interest there as we go through the MLB motions,” he wrote

Derrick, the city manager, responded: “Very strong interest…looking forward to working with you. Let me know how we can prepare for any next steps.”
Source: https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...evada-1816323/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest