HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Since there seems to be more conversation here about the 97 than either the Kelowna or BC highway thread, please read this article and my theoretical practical properly scaled highway plan for the 97
How did the George Massey Tunnel thread turn into the Fantasy Okanagan Highways thread???

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
How did the George Massey Tunnel thread turn into the Fantasy Okanagan Highways thread???
I think you mean “how did the fantasy George Massey Tunnel thread turn into a fantasy okanagan highway thread”. I explained on the last page

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 8:32 PM

Let's move the discussion about Kelowna and Hwy 97 to a thread about Kelowna and Hwy 97.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:10 PM

Hi guys....
Love the forum and the information & ideas always being tossed around
I finally decided to register cause now I have a question (actually a few):

So the groundbreaking was td for the tunnel replacement proj.
1. What happened to the reversed bus island under the overpass? This was innovative and gotta admit, leading edge for anything in NA. U/f, now I cannot find any mention of this nor even pictures of it online. I suspect this has something to do with the cancellation of the original bridge project and not wanting those remnants to be still circulating for ppl like me?

2. In the latest mock-up drawings, bike lanes are depicted in the middle of the tunnel. Can anybody confirm this will indeed come true?

3. This guy admitted he is a BC Liberal Party supporter, but he makes a great point which applies to this project as well as any other major transportation project ever done in BC (still looking at you Port Mann) or anywhere else in NA for that matter... Why the exclusion for future transit needs? How come there was no inclusion for prepping the tunnel now for rapid transit in the tomorrow?
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mass...nion?auto=true

4. I understand the tunnel will be demolished after this one is built (this question goes a little deeper).
For this project, a bridge was originally intended. I'm neutral to the whole bridge/tunnel choice anyways, but why wasn't there any effort to upgrade and preserve the original? In my perfect world, the existing tunnel would have been upgraded to meet current safety standards AND a new crossing would have been built directly over top. Why the need for both? To separate direction of traffic and to use the new crossing as the base to build a rapid transit component. In this scenario, traffic capacity would effectively have been doubled instead of the 1.25, 1.5, 1.75x factors of either the original bridge/ current tunnel proposals.

note: I am making the same argument critiquing the Port Mann bridge and any other crossing yet to be constructed. The old PMB could have been kept as a pedestrian, bicycle, rapid transit crossing. Obviously not directly comparable, but with imagination... our own NYC High Line?

note: If anybody decides to answer, please don't use cost/money as an answer. We all know, in any political environment, any cost can be a justified expense so long as you can sell it to the public. In these cases, you can't put a price on good LT urban planning.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:21 AM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Not to contradict in any way, but purely out of intellectual curiosity, why do you consider this interchange a joke? Is it underbuilt? What?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabooba View Post
Not to contradict in any way, but purely out of intellectual curiosity, why do you consider this interchange a joke? Is it underbuilt? What?
because it's a much scaled down version of the original concept, and it doesn't solve the bottleneck issues because it still has the traffic lights.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/stev...ridge-richmond
This is the original concept that was part of the bridge project. It's 100% free flowing, and the bus interchange is right in the middle so passengers do not have to cross any streets to make any transfers. However, the morons at Richmond city hall opposed it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfucious View Post
Hi guys....
Love the forum and the information & ideas always being tossed around
I finally decided to register cause now I have a question (actually a few):

2. In the latest mock-up drawings, bike lanes are depicted in the middle of the tunnel. Can anybody confirm this will indeed come true?

3. This guy admitted he is a BC Liberal Party supporter, but he makes a great point which applies to this project as well as any other major transportation project ever done in BC (still looking at you Port Mann) or anywhere else in NA for that matter... Why the exclusion for future transit needs? How come there was no inclusion for prepping the tunnel now for rapid transit in the tomorrow?
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mass...nion?auto=true

4. I understand the tunnel will be demolished after this one is built (this question goes a little deeper).
For this project, a bridge was originally intended. I'm neutral to the whole bridge/tunnel choice anyways, but why wasn't there any effort to upgrade and preserve the original?

note: I am making the same argument critiquing the Port Mann bridge and any other crossing yet to be constructed. The old PMB could have been kept as a pedestrian, bicycle, rapid transit crossing. Obviously not directly comparable, but with imagination... our own NYC High Line?
I haven't seen images of the bike lanes being in the middle - this is the image I've seen, with bikes / peds on one side (which could also be used as emergency access if needed).

There were no plans for adding rail to this project as the idea is laughable (and FYI I grew up in N Delta). That far south wants to be lower density, which means there aren't enough people for rail transit to be worth it. It will take a loooong time before buses aren't enough and changing to a true BRT system (with physically separated bus-only lanes) won't cost anywhere near as much. There's a reason TransLink is looking into doing BRT vs trying to add Skytrain absolutely everywhere.

You're not the first person to bring up 'why can't we keep it for ___?' The reality is that they've looked into it and the useful lifespan left on the tunnel is likely less than 50 years. When you do the math of how much it will cost vs how many people will use it until it has to be demolished - well I for one would rather they spend money to add a bike / ped lane to the new tunnel instead.

I don't know what state the Port Mann was in but I know that when the Pattullo bridge is replaced they won't be keeping the old one for a linear park as it's in pretty bad shape (they've been having to do band-aid repairs on it to keep it safe until the new bridge opens).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:21 AM

It’s barely an upgrade at this point. A single overpass structure with lights and squeezed in sub-par transit amenities.

And keep in mind, all this for a much higher price tag!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:31 AM
Dahvie Fan

It’s definitely an upgrade. For the people that actually live in the area it will make east/west travel across steveston highway much better.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:37 PM
life in the present

It'll likely be ripped-up again or heavily modified if the Liberals win and re-start their cancelled bridge project.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:20 PM

is the new tunnel expected in the 2030s?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And keep in mind, all this for a much higher price tag!
B-B-B-B-B-B-B-But you can't put a price on "Community Benefits"!!!!!

Oh no, wait. Yes the NDP just did.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
is the new tunnel expected in the 2030s?
it was 3 billion bridge in 2022. original plan.

4 billion tunnel in unspecified 2030s. NDP plan.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post

And the 2022 plan also had 35 km of the highway being fully upgraded akin to the #1, with a true centre lane rapid bus system with free flow grade separated ramps and full scale stations.

This plan has shoulder “bus lanes” with rinky-dinky stops, at grade bus “ramps” that dissect on ramps (traffic lights) and nearly no highway upgrades.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post

Without taking sides on the bridge-vs-tunnel debate, it is fair to note that the construction costs for the bridge could well have gone significantly over budget given the rise in costs from COVID.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
because it's a much scaled down version of the original concept, and it doesn't solve the bottleneck issues because it still has the traffic lights.

This is the original concept that was part of the bridge project. It's 100% free flowing, and the bus interchange is right in the middle so passengers do not have to cross any streets to make any transfers. However, the morons at Richmond city hall opposed it.
I actually agree with Richmond Mayor. Those ramps Are commonly seen between interstate connections. These are only to connect Steveston HWY to HWY 99.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
I actually agree with Richmond Mayor. Those ramps Are commonly seen between interstate connections. These are only to connect Steveston HWY to HWY 99.
Yes, it would not be safe to have traffic coming off NB 99 at freeway speeds only to run smack into the intersection at Steveston Hwy and No. 5. It's busy with truck traffic going to the industrial park and shoppers going to Ironwood.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 10:00 PM

I think the main reason for the 3 level interchange was to accommodate the "basket-weave" on the middle level which had traffic flow "wrong side" so that right-side bus doors would land on the centre platforms (which had escalators and elevators to the bus station on Hwy 99 below). That wrong-way configuration would complicate/prevent a traffic light configuration for on-ramps and off-ramps (because drivers would have to know to turn into the wrong-side (left) lanes), so they flew them overhead to avoid conflicts.
Without the median bus stations on Steveston Hwy and Hwy 99, the flyovers are not necessary.

The bus station on Hwy 99 would also have had a level criss-cross of bus lanes to get doors to the centre platform, as seen in LA on the Harbor Transitway.

https://www.transit.wiki/Harbor_Freeway_Station

Last edited by officedweller; Jul 11, 2022 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
It'll likely be ripped-up again or heavily modified if the Liberals win and re-start their cancelled bridge project.
Yes, one can hope it will be ripped out and replaced soon after completion. Just like Nordel Connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Without taking sides on the bridge-vs-tunnel debate, it is fair to note that the construction costs for the bridge could well have gone significantly over budget given the rise in costs from COVID.
While construction costs would have raised, the bridge would have been largely completed before COVID.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure