HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:47 PM

This rendering from https://www.gensleraustinten.com/?li...aItem-jdgip94i shows the Block 185 massing fairly clearly.
Also, a wistful reminder of what 3rd+Shoal could have been.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
This rendering from https://www.gensleraustinten.com/?li...aItem-jdgip94i shows the Block 185 massing fairly clearly.
Also, a wistful reminder of what 3rd+Shoal could have been.

UGH! *pouts furiously*

Also IIRC that massing kinda resembles a massing/rendering for that site that showed it being more apartments/hotel than office.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
UGH! *pouts furiously*

Also IIRC that massing kinda resembles a massing/rendering for that site that showed it being more apartments/hotel than office.
Right, I don't see the building shown at Block 185 being anywhere close to the current design in mind. I would like to see the hotel part transferred over so that we can get 700,000sqft of office AND hotel space on top (I really want a Ritz-Carlton in Austin). Hopefully if a hotel is added the building can get up to 900ft like one of the renderings.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The site itself is not very big, this tower could easily be 50+ floors. Office floor plates being taller than residential and hotel could make this in the 700-900 foot range. As I've said before we have reached a tipping point for office where it's becoming dominant.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Right, I don't see the building shown at Block 185 being anywhere close to the current design in mind. I would like to see the hotel part transferred over so that we can get 700,000sqft of office AND hotel space on top (I really want a Ritz-Carlton in Austin). Hopefully if a hotel is added the building can get up to 900ft like one of the renderings.
I hold out hope that we will get our Ritz-Carlton somewhere on Congress Avenue. Not a lot of options but there are still a few empty lots.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I hold out hope that we will get our Ritz-Carlton somewhere on Congress Avenue. Not a lot of options but there are still a few empty lots.
While I would not mind at all if the Ritz showed up on Congress, I would quite like for it to be incorporated into Block 185. Unrestricted views of Lady Bird and high views given that the hotel would likely be on top of the 700,000 sqft of office space. Also the Luxury Hotels would be spread out, Fairmont on the East side, JW center, and then Ritz West side.

Regardless if a hotel comes to 185 or not, I want to see this thing maxed out every way possible..

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

If we are seeing the use being filed with the city, could we still see additional uses added or is this what we should expect?

With the way the setbacks are positioned, I wonder if the tower would have a similar shape as the Gemsler rendering, I don't see how else they could fit that much space any other way unless they push for changes to the overlays.

If they are still trying to figure out how to build this tower, looks like it will still be another year before any movement in terms of construction. I have to wonder if they even have a set rendering at this stage.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:38 AM

One minor tidbit I didn't post was that there will be six levels of above ground parking, and "multiple" levels of underground parking.
Chop off about 200' of that 900' foot rendering we have from 2015, and I suspect that will be very similar as to what this project looks like. Those setback requirements on two sides really limit the options for a tall tower.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:47 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
One minor tidbit I didn't post was that there will be six levels of above ground parking, and "multiple" levels of underground parking.
Chop off about 200' of that 900' foot rendering we have from 2015, and I suspect that will be very similar as to what this project looks like. Those setback requirements on two sides really limit the options for a tall tower.
Wouldn't those setbacks do the opposite and increase the height? With over 700K of square feet, I don't see how they can have that much with the setbacks without going taller. I agree that the minimal will be around 700 feet but I would not be suprised at all if it was taller.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Wouldn't those setbacks do the opposite and increase the height? With over 700K of square feet, I don't see how they can have that much with the setbacks without going taller. I agree that the minimal will be around 700 feet but I would not be suprised at all if it was taller.
Yeah, the set backs will increase the height. That's why I'm guessing 700'. The 900 footer in the rendering had more than 700K sq ft I suspect which is why I'm guessing 700'. But since we don't know how much sq ft the 900 footer in the rendering had, it's only a guess.
If that rendering was a real project and not just a vision, they would have calculated in all the zoning issues and allowable square footage to come up with a tower that tall. We can hope.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If we are seeing the use being filed with the city, could we still see additional uses added or is this what we should expect?
Even though the formal site plan filing (the attached file) only indicated office and retail, the description on the site plan application also included residential. But I tend to go with the info in the attachment.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:05 PM
Meh

I noticed the site plan is saying it's mixed use with office and residential, along with parking and retail. Being a mix of office and residential will make it shorter than it would have been if it were all office space since off towers tend to be taller than residential buildings even with the same number of floors.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5073765
Quote:
The applicant is proposing a mixed use development with associated retail, commercial, parking, residential and other associated improvements.
Either way, this should still be tall. The lot size is 55,321 square feet. I remember reading that office towers typically have floorplates of around 25,000 square feet. The setback requirements for the river and Shoal Creek are going to make this one slim.

The square footage that The ATX posted is the usable square feet. The gross square feet will probably add another 30,000 square feet.

For comparison sake, 600 Guadalupe will have 960,955 square feet of office and residential space, plus 25,076 restaurant space. The gross square feet is 1,107,595. Of course, 600 Guadalupe will have a full block to work with, and even with the CVC that slices that block, I think that tower will still be bulkier than this one, meaning this one will have to be pretty tall to acheive the square feet they're wanting.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I noticed the site plan is saying it's mixed use with office and residential, along with parking and retail. Being a mix of office and residential will make it shorter than it would have been if it were all office space since off towers tend to be taller than residential buildings even with the same number of floors.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5073765

Either way, this should still be tall. The lot size is 55,321 square feet. I remember reading that office towers typically have floorplates of around 25,000 square feet. The setback requirements for the river and Shoal Creek are going to make this one slim.

The square footage that The ATX posted is the usable square feet. The gross square feet will probably add another 30,000 square feet.

For comparison sake, 600 Guadalupe will have 960,955 square feet of office and residential space, plus 25,076 restaurant space. The gross square feet is 1,107,595. Of course, 600 Guadalupe will have a full block to work with, and even with the CVC that slices that block, I think that tower will still be bulkier than this one, meaning this one will have to be pretty tall to acheive the square feet they're wanting.
Not to mention the taller it is the more elevators...and more elevators = less sq footage per floor plate to work with.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:07 PM

Some whispers going round the real estate circles on this one. As currently planned we'd see office only with height just over 400'. I've not seen renders but design sounds really nice.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:13 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Not to mention the taller it is the more elevators...and more elevators = less sq footage per floor plate to work with.
Also, if it is mixed use with office and residential, it'll likely have two banks of elevators - one for office and one for residential, similar to how the Hilton Convention Center has separate elevators for the hotel and condos.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:04 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Wait...Isn't Block 71 going to have ~730,000 SF of office? It's only 36 stories tall. I wouldn't build my hopes up too much for a tower taller than 550' or 600' on this site. Not to say I would love to see a true sky scraper here.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:29 PM

Seriously, 50-floors and ~ 700 ft in a slender massing is exactly what that site needs to break up the 400 ft canyon. 900 ft would have maybe been a little too imposing, but a sleek 700 ft tower would be awesome. I just want something with tiered setbacks rather than one large podium and then a glass rectangle.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 10:00 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Seriously, 50-floors and ~ 700 ft in a slender massing is exactly what that site needs to break up the 400 ft canyon. 900 ft would have maybe been a little too imposing, but a sleek 700 ft tower would be awesome. I just want something with tiered setbacks rather than one large podium and then a glass rectangle.
With a cool crown and/or spire.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 10:16 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
Some whispers going round the real estate circles on this one. As currently planned we'd see office only with height just over 400'. I've not seen renders but design sounds really nice.
Over 700K sf and only just over 400 feet with the setbacks. Something isn't adding up, either the whispers are wrong or this building will not have 700K unless that number includes all uses and not just office space.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 10:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Wait...Isn't Block 71 going to have ~730,000 SF of office? It's only 36 stories tall. I wouldn't build my hopes up too much for a tower taller than 550' or 600' on this site. Not to say I would love to see a true sky scraper here.
Thought Block 71 will have somewhere around 650K.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin